Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Photography

Subject: Ambient Light challenges using Terrain Tech power pad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Candela Estrada
msg tools
Looking for some objective thought. Been asked to do some shooting on the new wireless energy power pad roll-out from Terrain Tech Games. It has turned out to be quite a challenge however.

My problem:
Usually, when you shoot a miniature, you are focused just on the figure and can control shadows and lighting etc... In this case, they are showcasing an entire crystal city, meaning that ambient light is coming out of everything. I am trying to shoot individual figures and it is coming out...ok. To my eye fantastic, but getting that into the camera has been some work...Rather than talking about it, here is what I mean using progressively more crystal tiles:

Another:

Shadowing is hard to achieve once you get enough crystal tiles involved, at any rate. Think I did better on this one:

and

Only way to do it was to go back and get some Dwaverforge tiles and set them on the mat. Then I dragged some of their stuff onto it and got some more definition. Any thoughts?

Got to do the Star Wars set next and seem to be having better success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jeanes
United Kingdom
Outside US or Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The old trick to use when you have a lot of different coloured lighting, e.g. a concert or theatre is to convert the image to black & white.

This might not be what you're after, but it should allow you to to keep focus on the miniatures rather than the scenery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary smith
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly great work, and welcome to BGG.

You could use a soft box (some lighting) overhead or of to the side. this will help create some shadows. But it needs to be soft, if the light source is to powerful it will lesson the bright crystal objects that you are photography.

Also in my opinion you could use a higher f.stop this will increase depth of field. bringing more of the pieces into focus.

Second one down is my favourite.

Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candela Estrada
msg tools
Gaz72uk wrote:
Firstly great work, and welcome to BGG.

You could use a soft box (some lighting) overhead or of to the side. this will help create some shadows. But it needs to be soft, if the light source is to powerful it will lesson the bright crystal objects that you are photography.

Also in my opinion you could use a higher f.stop this will increase depth of field. bringing more of the pieces into focus.

Second one down is my favourite.

Good Luck

I like the softbox approach. Will do. Will give the f-stop some adjustment this next try. Thanks Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candela Estrada
msg tools
Shem_Whistler wrote:
The old trick to use when you have a lot of different coloured lighting, e.g. a concert or theatre is to convert the image to black & white.

This might not be what you're after, but it should allow you to to keep focus on the miniatures rather than the scenery.

I think some black and whites would be a great baseline to contrast against the color pics. Will do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarte Empion
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I really don't know where to post this as I don't frequent BGG's forum that much but I thought you guys would want to know of a great kickstarter that could really boost your gaming experience with several board games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/616900694/24x24-wireles...

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-TBNO1PNu8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candela Estrada
msg tools
biowizard wrote:
I really don't know where to post this as I don't frequent BGG's forum that much but I thought you guys would want to know of a great kickstarter that could really boost your gaming experience with several board games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/616900694/24x24-wireles...

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-TBNO1PNu8

Thank you BioWizard. LOL...that is the project from the photos..or did you know that already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.