Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/07/14/long-strides-gomo...

New story over at AEG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The story mentions someone named "Tou-Chi Chow" at the end. Perhaps the Maze Rats will be making a reappearance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
I would be more inclined to think it would be the triad, not the maze rats. The maze rats were a small specific crew of "pirates". Since the rock has mostly dried up, or is at least flagging, there is no realk reason for the maze rats to come back.

The triad on the other hand, have every reason to want to muscle in on the cattle market. Also, the triad is one of the big organizations in the setting so it would make sense.

Right now we have cops, bandits, big business, evil magicians. Enter Organized crime (which woud naturally clash with the bandits).

The real question is how can they get all the interests into the city without faction bloat? We can easily fit 2 more factions. three more would be doable, 4 more is (IMO) the absolute upper bound on how many factions we can fit without making the factions too specialized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Lord Grimley's is still standing too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't be exactly the Maze Rats, but as long as we get some kung fu and hopefully some Lo Pan style Chinese sorcerer/hucksters then that's cool

If they come in the form of the Triad that's potentially even better because then we get mobsters too.

A game where only the Dude cards belong to a faction can support more factions than the FFG games where almost every card belongs to a faction as most of the card pool is shared. But there is still an upper limit.

Anyway, I think 8 would still be fine. We have four now. Add Triad, some sort of Indian faction w/ Shamans, and some sort of religious faction for Blessed and you're at 7 already. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of military faction either, maybe others. We'll have to see what they decide to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
dboeren wrote:

Anyway, I think 8 would still be fine. We have four now. Add Triad, some sort of Indian faction w/ Shamans, and some sort of religious faction for Blessed and you're at 7 already. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of military faction either, maybe others. We'll have to see what they decide to do.

I agree that we need an indian/shaman faction and some form of blessed faction (it would be breath of fresh air for them to be *good guys*) just to hit all the tropes. As for the Triad, while I'm not against them (or that style) I'm not really in favor of them either. I mostly find them "meh".

My personal desire is to see a "pinkertons" [Agency] or similar faction that is focused on monster hunting and arrives in town once the weirdness really kicks up a notch (possibly due to the circus).

The big thing I want to see is a *reason* for all of these factions to be here, and to stay here. Monster hunters arriving just to put down the circus? Not so great. Arriving to hold back all the weirdness? Great. If a faction (the flock) serves its purpose and then is jsut kind of sitting around because... you need ot keep supporting the faction. that makes for lame and forced stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinkertons would be great. I'm sort of roughly lumping them in with "military" type factions as sort of a secret police vibe to me, along with Confederates, Texas Rangers, etc...

First step is amping up the weirdness, then they have a reason to show up.

Indians have a reason, they were there already before the white man came and all this trouble began. Also, they might be concerned with losing the buffalo to cattle ranching, upsetting the order of things with the spirit world, etc...

Triad would be there mainly for profits - they have heard about the riches coming from the area and want a piece of the actions. If they incorporate sorcery as well as kung fu they may also seek supernatural resources to increase their power. While it might sound like a random introduction, we have to keep in mind that in the old west they used a lot of Chinese laborers on the railroad and stuff so a Chinese mafia is sort of a natural outgrowth of that I think. Somebody writes home to a friend of a friend about the opportunities here in hopes of getting some reward when they show up, etc...

But I agree, nobody should be there *just* to stop one other specific party. That's kind of lame story-wise.

I have no beef with a religious faction being good guys. Perhaps they will combine concepts and we'll get sort of a religious Pinkertons - some secret organization within the Church dedicated to stomping out supernatural evil and saving mankind from their demonic clutches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

I have no beef with a religious faction being good guys. Perhaps they will combine concepts and we'll get sort of a religious Pinkertons - some secret organization within the Church dedicated to stomping out supernatural evil and saving mankind from their demonic clutches.

Some type of Opus Dei?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they add Pinkertons, I would love to see them as civil war era spies. Maybe ignore faction penalty to recruit other dudes. Better yet, sleeper agents: your dudes from other factions may not be called out by players of that faction...

Basically I don't care what they add as long as it's thematic as hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
macgowan wrote:
If they add Pinkertons, I would love to see them as civil war era spies. Maybe ignore faction penalty to recruit other dudes. Better yet, sleeper agents: your dudes from other factions may not be called out by players of that faction...

Basically I don't care what they add as long as it's thematic as hell.

In the previous game, and in the world of deadlands, the Pinkertons (now termed "the Agency") are pretty much the Union's monster hunters. Headed by a mysterious figure known as "the Ghost" [not saying who it is, in case any RPG players on here don't already know].

The Pinkertons/Agency have a primary purpose of finding and eliminating supernatural threats. Basically they are hte men in black/monster hunters.

If they could get involved in a way that doesn't implicate them being From the Union it would be great. We don't need a Union/Confederate conflict in the town this time around... at least not for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Fox
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I think the lost angels are a must. They are Deadlands' major Villains from the pacific coast through to Utah. Getting a *possible spoilers* servitor involved could be messy.

If the Triads get involved it should be under the banner of Norton I, emperor of these United States. Because that would be a tragically missed opportunity otherwise.

the Agency and the Rangers need to get involved... They both tend to show up for every freak show... And welcome to Gomorra

Also, Abram Grothe needs to be remade as a blessed in a future - no the next - expansion. His ability is neat and thematic, but he could be so much more, and I just love him as a character.

Just 2 cents from a Deadlands mega fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
foxblue wrote:

the Agency and the Rangers need to get involved... They both tend to show up for every freak show... And welcome to Gomorra

In the story, sure. As whole factions? Probably not. The last thing we need is 10+ factions again.

Thematically, both could come in under the auspices of "law dogs" and be fully appropriate. Plus then we get intra-faction tensions instead of just inter-faction tensions

foxblue wrote:

Also, Abram Grothe needs to be remade as a blessed in a future - no the next - expansion. His ability is neat and thematic, but he could be so much more, and I just love him as a character.

I'd love to see it, but it can wait. He hasn't done anything explicitly blessed -- exorcisms are in the realm of "mundane" clergy and don't require blessedness. Would be nice to see it blossom at some point though.

The triad can come in, easily, without requiring one of the major Deadlands characters to get involved. The leader of the triad in Gomorrah is appointed by someone higher up to come in and establish triad interests at the new shipping town. Whole new characters being involved gives a lot more latitude to AEG for the story than using main characters from the RPG.

I think the odds of us actually seeing a card representation of a servitor are about 0%. Likely to see characters representing their interest though.

Also, I repeat, I really want a *good* blessed faction. Order of St. George, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.