Jim Crofts III
msg tools
If there is a line of pit spaces, and you are defeated while at the bottom of the pit and a monster ends his movement on top of you, when you "stand up", are you able to stand up in an adjacent space outside of the pit. Or does it have to be a nearby pit space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it makes much difference. The rules indicate that, if your space is occupied when you perform a stand up option, you are placed on the nearest empty space. It doesn't discern between pit and non-pit spaces. Splitting hairs on that level seems to be against the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
The question here may be if a pit space is "empty space". If it was, it might lead to an assumption that a lava space with no monster on it is empty space as well and therefore a valid target for the hero respawn. It does not seem likely. On the other hand water spaces do not bother me much, so....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crofts III
msg tools
Hey! Thank you both for the quick reply. We have a small group of 3 playing and because there are only two heroes, the games can be quite intense. Everyone including the overlord are looking for ways to out think and outplay each other including exploiting rules as long as it's legal. We have played every campaign so far and it has gotten to be so tactical. Especially for the heroes! But for only two heroes, it has to be! Every move must be planned out perfectly. So we run into many questions about rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
The core rulebook defines what an empty space is (pg 9):

Empty Spaces
"Some card effects and abilities refer to empty spaces. An empty space is defined as a space that contains no figures and that blocks neither line of sight nor movement. Unless otherwise noted, spaces containing tokens are still considered to be empty for the purposes of these effects."

I believe that other pit spaces, lava and water all qualify. If the closest empty space is Lava, you can always choose not to stand up until the monster moves or another, closer space becomes empty.

Or you can Stand Up into the Lava, get defeated when your turn ends (because it ends immediately), and then move to the nearest empty space which isn't Lava, per the Lava effects. Harsh, but if you really need to get out of that original space, it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
The core rulebook defines what an empty space is (pg 9):

Empty Spaces
"Some card effects and abilities refer to empty spaces. An empty space is defined as a space that contains no figures and that blocks neither line of sight nor movement. Unless otherwise noted, spaces containing tokens are still considered to be empty for the purposes of these effects."

I believe that other pit spaces, lava and water all qualify. If the closest empty space is Lava, you can always choose not to stand up until the monster moves or another, closer space becomes empty.

Or you can Stand Up into the Lava, get defeated when your turn ends (because it ends immediately), and then move to the nearest empty space which isn't Lava, per the Lava effects. Harsh, but if you really need to get out of that original space, it works.

While I agree with this interpretation of the official rules, I would have to house rule against what would be known in my gaming circle as a "dick move".

I think it's reasonable to allow the standing hero to select the nearest empty space that won't immediately kill him/her again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.