Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a game w/ my son yesterday, and I placed a piece w/ the 'Shield' ability
in such a manner that one of my opponents pieces was located in a 'Shielded' square
(something that: oddly enough has never happened before)
My son grabbed the rules and gleefully informed me that his piece was now protected by my shield.

I at first thought this was ridiculous (well, no: I -still- think it is ridiculous!)
but a careful reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading seems to indicate his interpretation is correct.
Although I'm proud of the l'il dickens for out rules-lawyering his old man (he's 12)
I really honestly and truly don't believe this is the intent of this rule.

Argument For:
the literal wording of the "Shield" ability:
Quote:
A tile cannot capture a target tile if its straight move towards or into the target square would pass through a square with a Defense icon as indicated on the target tile; even if the tile starts the turn adjacent to the target tile, if the square it starts on indicates a Defense icon on that tile, the target cannot be captured.

Compare this with the wording of "Command"
Quote:
the player moves one of the Troop Tiles he controls from any square indicated

and 'Strike'
Quote:
Remove an enemy Troop Tile

Both those abilities clearly indicate which tiles may be affected.

Argument Against:
Real World= 'Why in the World would I use my shield to protect you...?"

As he pointed out: real world has nothing to do with game-play,
but I still can't believe any time I move a piece with the 'shield' ability
I may (nay! likely Will!) grant an opponent an advantage.....

Any opinions...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
The way I read the rule you have quoted is that the target file has to have the defense icon - '...as indicated on the target tile'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh....

So 'Shield' only protects the Tile that has the 'shield' ability, the 'originating' tile?
Then we definitely played that wrong (and I completely misunderstood the point of the 'shield maiden' tile!)

That does make more sense, however....
It makes the 'shield' tile essentially immune to attacks from certain directions
(as opposed to 'shielding' -other- tiles in those indicated squares)
...Is that correct?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure but that is how I understand the rules. As you say it's more logical that way. But the wording of the rules leave a lot of room for interpretation so I cannot be sure, e.g. we played it for quite a while so the jump function could only be used if there was a piece standing in the way and not something you could do across empty spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.