The South Shall Rise Again» Forums » General

Subject: Does this game get better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Carter
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb

This was a must-buy for me as I love the theme and play a lot of solo games. However, I've just played the introductory scenario and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on...you shoot, move away from the zombies, they follow, you shoot again...occasionally there is an event....Does a decent game come out of hiding with later scenarios, the appearance of rifle wielding advanced zombies etc....or is it 'meh' all the way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandolphCarterCork wrote:

This was a must-buy for me as I love the theme and play a lot of solo games. However, I've just played the introductory scenario and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on...you shoot, move away from the zombies, they follow, you shoot again...occasionally there is an event....Does a decent game come out of hiding with later scenarios, the appearance of rifle wielding advanced zombies etc....or is it 'meh' all the way?

I was also a bit "meh" after playing the first scenario on greenhorn difficulty, with just one soldier. Then I started playing with 2-3 soldiers, veteran difficulty (which adds the rifle wielding zombies), and the other scenarios, and that opened up the game to me, and I have been quite enjoying it. It's not meant to be a huge complex game, though, and it does get a bit samey after repeated plays (I've played 12 times in 3 days).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Carter
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb

that's good to hear - I love that it's quite straightforward with quick set-up... the introductory scenario, with just one soldier, left me cold - but I can see how just a little more complexity could make it fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

that's good to hear - I love that it's quite straightforward with quick set-up... the introductory scenario, with just one soldier, left me cold - but I can see how just a little more complexity could make it fun

Yeah, I don't understand the rulebook's recommendation to only play with one soldier - it limits the game too much in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Hatfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

I was also a bit "meh" after playing the first scenario on greenhorn difficulty, with just one soldier. Then I started playing with 2-3 soldiers, veteran difficulty (which adds the rifle wielding zombies), and the other scenarios, and that opened up the game to me, and I have been quite enjoying it. It's not meant to be a huge complex game, though, and it does get a bit samey after repeated plays (I've played 12 times in 3 days).

I felt the same way after playing the introductory scenario and even the second scenario with only one soldier. I made up my own scenario today, which I will post in the files section once I get it typed up, and the game plays much better when using four soldiers. I still played it solitaire, but the game is straightforward enough that controlling all four is no problem. Using four soldiers opens up a lot more tactical possibilities and gives differing abilities and heroic actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.