Subject: Noooooooo! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem solved! Thanks to:
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for creating an awesome PNP version, and to users mercurycs and raile for directing me to it!

-------------

So I've been gaming with a friend of mine for a couple of years now. When I first started playing games with him, I saw that he had a copy of San Juan. I still hadn't even played Puerto Rico at the time (and still haven't). In my ignorance, I thought, "I'd rather play Puerto Rico. After all, it's the original, and this is just a spin off..." (What a dolt!) And now, nearly two years later, this very night I finally played my first game of San Juan and fell in love with it. So when I got home, I immediately came here to see about getting hold of a copy. To my utter disappointment, I discovered that the price for this game has sky rocketed because it is now officially out of print...cry

So frustrating when I find a game that I really enjoy and my wife really enjoys as well(!right!?), only to find that it's out of print and it's gonna set me back $50+ for an English copy...shake

Why???

Anyone know of a good PNP version out there with nice artwork? I would love to take on a project like it, if only I had the artistic ability to do it...

Well, even if there's no PNP version out there, and my budget won't allow the purchase, he's got my back...for now.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
download the IOS version to satisfy your gaming needs, for the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
download the IOS version to satisfy your gaming needs, for the moment...

If you use Android, Condado is what it's called on that. Includes the expansion too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a free PC download too, which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Puerto Rico.

Or Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if that brings you down just wait until you hear about the SJ expansion in the Treasure Chest (it really adds to the game) that you'll also be struggling to find... devil

Besides, I know stuff is generally cheaper in the US, but to me $50 doesn't really seem expensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
There's a free PC download too, which is nice.

It uses java, so AFAIK, it should work on Macs and Linux too?

holgerd wrote:
Well, if that brings you down just wait until you hear about the SJ expansion in the Treasure Chest (it really adds to the game) that you'll also be struggling to find... devil
Interestingly enough, I combed some of the marketplace entries for that... it turns out, a lot of people bought it just for the SJ expansion, as they're selling the Treasure Chest with everything minus that wow

holgerd wrote:
Besides, I know stuff is generally cheaper in the US, but to me $50 doesn't really seem expensive?
Well, the list price is $30. $50 wouldn't be breaking the bank for many of us, but a 67% price increase is still a tough swallow for many of us, especially given the "relatively light weight" of the game. A comparison with Race For The Galaxy that's most similar to it, and that's only $35.

At least with $50 games like Ticket To Ride, you get plastic trains, score markers, 2 decks of cards, and a large board. Dominion is $45, but comes with 450 actual cards (not counting blanks and randomizers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
You can't even take the wife to McDonalds on the price difference. (well, if you include dessert).

I really never understand the "I WANT IT BUT AN EXTRA $20? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's an obesity epidemic in North America (UK too) but surely $20 at McDs buys more junk than anyone's wife can eat ... or at least be allowed to eat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$20 will get you two Big Mac menus in Denmark. No dessert, though. Or you could spend it on a single movie ticket and some popcorn (no soda). I guess I should leave this country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't give up on finding it at a FLGS. We found a copy a couple of months ago for 30 bucks. It was tucked up in the corner. I couldn't believe it.

If you don't mind going through a bit of a learning curve, Race for the Galaxy is a game you should look at. It's definitely more complicated but it's very fun. And it works great as a two player game, if that's an issue for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
$20 will get you two Big Mac menus in Denmark. No dessert, though. Or you could spend it on a single movie ticket and some popcorn (no soda). I guess I should leave this country.

Well, you do have the TV show Borgen, which is wonderful... so you got that going for you, which is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get race for the galaxy instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I really never understand the "I WANT IT BUT AN EXTRA $20? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" posts.

...because of this as much as anything↓
ackmondual wrote:
Well, the list price is $30. $50 wouldn't be breaking the bank for many of us, but a 67% price increase is still a tough swallow for many of us, especially given the "relatively light weight" of the game. A comparison with Race For The Galaxy that's most similar to it, and that's only $35.

This was once a much cheaper game and so bigger bang for the buck. I can purchase games that I enjoy equally as much as this for much less than $50. And when I say $50, that was only one I found among others that were $60-$100. Furthermore, because it is out of print, finding the expansion also adds to the dramatic cost increase.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" posts are really just a way to express the initial frustration that comes when you know you've missed something good, like getting an awesome game for $30 instead of $50. For those of us on a tight budget, that is a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:

If you don't mind going through a bit of a learning curve, Race for the Galaxy is a game you should look at. It's definitely more complicated but it's very fun. And it works great as a two player game, if that's an issue for you.

I love Race for the Galaxy and will gladly play it with my friends and my kids, but my wife is not a fan. She loves San Juan. She loves The City, an even simpler implementation of the same idea even though it's only in German which she doesn't speak. But Race is just too much.

For the amount of play we get out of San Juan, it's worth more than most any game I own. I hope it comes back into print soon. And I do have the Treasure Chest expansion which is wonderful and adds a lot of life to it. At this point if I had to make a choice between the two, I would keep San Juan and its expansion over Race for the Galaxy with all its expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife enjoyed San Juan very much. My impression of Race for the Galaxy is that it has some complexity added. Moreover, my wife doesn't care for space themes . She's my primary gaming partner, so that's the main selling point for this one. We both like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
holgerd wrote:

Also worth noting that the list price is less relevant. San Juan has been passed around in person-to-person sales like candy (typical used price about $12) for almost the entire decade it's been in print. It used to be the kind of game people would use as a good sweetener for their real games in math trades.

Whereas now it's selling for no less than $60 on eBay. So we're really talking about more like a 300-500% price increase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
...Also worth noting that the list price is less relevant. San Juan has been passed around in person-to-person sales like candy...Whereas now it's selling for no less than $60 on eBay. So we're really talking about more like a 300-500% price increase...

And this↑ is what I recall. In fact, I commented to my wife last night while we were playing that we ought to be able to land a copy of our own for about $15. So you can imagine my disappointment at the $50+ price tag on it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
You can't even take the wife to McDonalds on the price difference. (well, if you include dessert).
$10 per person at McDonalds? In the US, you can get a meal and dessert... up to $6 for a meal + $0.50 or $2 for a cone, sundae, or McFlurry. However, even if I had $10 to spend on food, I'm going to any place better than McDonalds. AFAIK, given outside of the US there are other factors, locally sourced food should be both superior and cheaper

apotheos wrote:

Us gamers tend to buy more than one game. If you're just buying one game at a higher price, then an extra $50 wouldn't really matter. However, an extra $20 here, and extra $30 there, and in the blink of an eye, you just spend enough extra money that could've gone towards an extra game. It adds up. And the extra $20 was just a conservative figure from the OP. I did a quick check on Ebay, and all of the prices not only obviously need to add on S&H, but they're $60 and up. "roll the dice" on seeing what's available, the only copy could be $85 or even $100. Those price differences go a long way towards an extra game.

holgerd wrote:
I thought Denmark didn't have McDonalds anymore, but IIRC, it was Sweden who said they lost all 3 of their McDonalds since their $8 Big Mac meals couldn't compete with locally sourced food that was cheaper.

Movies cost $8 to $16 for general admission. Bargain matinee doesn't exist in some places, and even then, it's been reduced to -$2 off. I used to watch a lot of movies when I was next to a 2nd run theatre that charged only $2 for admission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: yessss!
San Juan via printerstudio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another BGG user directed me there already. I ordered my copy this afternoon, printed on premium linen finish cards, and with the treasure chest expansion cards included for $17 (with shipping!). This looks to be as well done or better than the original. I am actually very pleased that I did not get the original copy, as I cannot imagine getting an original copy + the treasure chest expansion cards + shipping for anywhere near $20, even when the price was reasonable. Moreover, the creator of this "fan made" copy...
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...posted the most recent files just today in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16334258#16334258

It is worth noting that this↓ does not contain the most current tweaks at the moment, but the files posted there↑ do.
SirWashington wrote:

I guess I should have heeded my wife's advice to wait a bit...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Automator Threetousand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I must have lucked out. While checking our local Goodwill for a new amplifier/receiver, came across a sealed copy of San Juan for $1.

Gave it a play through last night. Dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niiiiiice! Goodwill is a great place to find the occasional gem. The base price for their board games is always $1, and it seems like they only price them higher if the employee who does the pricing takes a shine to itwhistle. But San Juan is one of those great games in a little box. 5 years ago, I probably would have overlooked it too. I have learned much about games in the last 5 years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.