BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Asia » Japan

Subject: What Japanese game are you hooked on?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been too quiet around here since the post-Tokyo Game Market flurry of activity. I figured I'd start a thread to find out what you folks have been enjoying. This can be your current favorite game from Japan, or maybe one that you've had for a while and just can't get enough of. However you want to define "hooked" is fine by me

Personally, I'm hooked on Sail to India! I try to get it to the table as often as possible. I really like that there's not too much luck involved (no dice rolling), a small to moderate amount of potential screwing of your opponents, several possible paths to victory, and a lot of emphasis placed on getting a good engine working and cube management. I'm sure I'll burn out on it eventually, but I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface so far. There are several technologies I haven't even tried using. I can't wait to play it again!

Just behind Sail to India, I'd say I've kind of also been hooked on Lost Legacy in all of it's various forms. It's really taken the place that Love Letter used to hold as the go-to quick filler card game. It's easy to explain, but there are many variations of how it can play out, especially with there being 6 decks and the possibility of mixing them together to create even more new decks!

So, what are you hooked on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Gloag
Japan
Shinjo-shi
Yamagata
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't stop playing Machi Koro. I love it. I've introduced to young kids, teenagers, uni students, friends and my wife! Everyone loves it and since purchasing it a couple of weeks back I've played it 30 times! Am looking to buy the expansions and having yet more fun!

Like this thread - personally I drift to the Euro market for game playing but feel the need to expand my knowledge in the games of the country that I live (and have lived for over 20 years). I'm looking forward to many more entries from everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread!
Currently I'm hooked on Maskmen & Gods' Gambit. I think I'll get hooked on A Fake Artist Goes to New York but I haven't had time to give it a go yet I'm always running out of time hehe, not enough time to play all the games I want to try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends picked up Aristo-Maze at Osaka's Game Market, and we've managed to pull that out a few times.
My friends seem to have enjoyed playing it but I wouldn't say that I'm hooked on it though.
My main issue is that it seems you have a number of choices, but you basically only have correct an incorrect choices. And making a bad choice will screw you up for the round.
Doing correct choices doesn't mean you'll do any better though, as everyone will most likely be making the exact same choice.
It also has a very slow start-up with new players, as how the game works isn't so apparent at first.

I picked up Welcome to the Dungeon at the Osaka Game Market, and have been enjoying it, and my retheme of it.
It has a similar theme and feel as Aristo-maze, but works much quicker.

I have some other Japanese games such as
Greedy Kingdoms
Lost Legacy: Hyakunen Senso to Ryu no Miko
Love Letter
But except for Love Letter (due to its easy to explain gameplay/rules), I don't have anyone interested in playing these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Been hooked on Go for about 20 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tosenkyo

Still bring it out every New Year, after getting introduced to it while I was living in Japan in the late 1990's.

But more recently, Welcome to the Dungeon. Made up my own set using Magic tokens (plus an oversized Hero), introduced the kids (ages 10 and 12) to it, and they got hooked so much that they each made up their own set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing quite a number of games these days. Been focusing on the SdJ Nominees. But as for Japanese games, I'm loving MaskMen, Too Many Cinderellas, Isaribi, Guild Stack, and God's Gambit.

Guild Stack is still a bit unwieldy, but it's an alright game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgbg wrote:
I can't stop playing Machi Koro. I love it. I've introduced to young kids, teenagers, uni students, friends and my wife! Everyone loves it and since purchasing it a couple of weeks back I've played it 30 times! Am looking to buy the expansions and having yet more fun!

Like this thread - personally I drift to the Euro market for game playing but feel the need to expand my knowledge in the games of the country that I live (and have lived for over 20 years). I'm looking forward to many more entries from everyone!

I've actually been playing quite a bit of Machi Koro as well! I really enjoy it, as do most of my friends. But one friend's girlfriend HATES it. I think I'm going to have to shelve it for a while, or at least not break it out when they're over for games.

I really really like the Harbor expansion and how it adjusts the rules a bit. I own but haven't played Sharp yet, but hopefully I'll get to do that soon! I would definitely recommend picking up at least Harbor to see what you think.

merc007 wrote:
Great thread!
Currently I'm hooked on Maskmen & Gods' Gambit. I think I'll get hooked on A Fake Artist Goes to New York but I haven't had time to give it a go yet I'm always running out of time hehe, not enough time to play all the games I want to try

Yeah, I agree...there's never enough time I really enjoyed what I saw of maskMen, but I need to play it again now that I understand the rules a bit better. I'm also going to have to try Gods' Gambit again when I can get a different group together...most the people I played with the first time HATED it! Everyone loves A Fake Artist Goes To New York though...that game is just fun!!

dezza wrote:
One of my friends picked up Aristo-Maze at Osaka's Game Market, and we've managed to pull that out a few times.
My friends seem to have enjoyed playing it but I wouldn't say that I'm hooked on it though.
My main issue is that it seems you have a number of choices, but you basically only have correct an incorrect choices. And making a bad choice will screw you up for the round.
Doing correct choices doesn't mean you'll do any better though, as everyone will most likely be making the exact same choice.
It also has a very slow start-up with new players, as how the game works isn't so apparent at first.

I picked up Welcome to the Dungeon at the Osaka Game Market, and have been enjoying it, and my retheme of it.
It has a similar theme and feel as Aristo-maze, but works much quicker.

I have some other Japanese games such as
Greedy Kingdoms
Lost Legacy: Hyakunen Senso to Ryu no Miko
Love Letter
But except for Love Letter (due to its easy to explain gameplay/rules), I don't have anyone interested in playing these games.

I really really like Dungeon of Mandom! It's a super fun game and everyone I've played it with has enjoyed it as well!

Since you already own a Lost Legacy deck, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. If you have friends who like to play Love Letter, they'll probably enjoy Lost Legacy as well. It's the same basic mechanic...draw one, play one, follow the rules on the card...but it has a twist at the end that adds a bit to the Love Letter style of play. I introduced it to my friend who introduced Love Letter to me...he actually likes Lost Legacy better

slashing wrote:
Been hooked on Go for about 20 years.

Very cool! I haven't played it, but I keep meaning to give it a try.

dlow wrote:
Tosenkyo

Still bring it out every New Year, after getting introduced to it while I was living in Japan in the late 1990's.

But more recently, Welcome to the Dungeon. Made up my own set using Magic tokens (plus an oversized Hero), introduced the kids (ages 10 and 12) to it, and they got hooked so much that they each made up their own set!

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic I never thought of making a set out of Magic cards, but that's a wonderful idea! I need to dig through my commons box and see if I can put one together! Very cool to hear that your kids are enjoying it as well!

zenxacred wrote:
Been playing quite a number of games these days. Been focusing on the SdJ Nominees. But as for Japanese games, I'm loving MaskMen, Too Many Cinderellas, Isaribi, Guild Stack, and God's Gambit.

Guild Stack is still a bit unwieldy, but it's an alright game.

Too Many Cinderellas is kind of awesome as well! It's such a unique (to me anyway) card game. I really like it, even though I've only played it a handful of times. I'm feeling the urge to play it again very soon!

Isaribi is at the top of my MUST PLAY list. I'm really looking forward to trying that one out very soon!

Thanks for all of the replies!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwbollom wrote:
Isaribi is at the top of my MUST PLAY list. I'm really looking forward to trying that one out very soon!

Thanks for all of the replies!!

I played Isaribi on Sunday. It's very nice. It's basically collect and deliver, but the timings make it work well. You upgrade your boat (the same mechanism as Sail To India) but the Collaborators make more of a difference. It's a nice mix of decisions. The graphic design is superb, and the quality of the cardstock is wonderful, they have a lovely feel. Overall, a very impressive production. It only lacks a player aid, it took us a few turns to recall all the action costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ve played more than 5 times Pacific War: War at Sea in the Pacific 1941-1944.
Not really as light as the games most people have listed up to now, but a great wargame it is.
I am in contact with the game designer too and helping with the translation in English. Already got the new edition of the game in Pdf that looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Warriors of God is a republish of Taiheiki and continues to impress me. Half wargame, half drafting, always a twist in the mix. Warriors of Japan, on preorder right now is the next implementation of the ruleset. It looks a bit smaller map-wise and counter-wise, and has a couple of additional concepts in the rules. Looking forward to getting a shot at that one sometime soon as well.

What Price Glory? by Nakamura is a great play as well, even though I've only gotten two shots at it so far.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
No, I can't get you Stamps.
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
the quality of the cardstock is wonderful

Other than the cheapo "board", right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleOnad wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
the quality of the cardstock is wonderful

Other than the cheapo "board", right?

I was completely not bothered about the board not being a hard board as in Euro or US games. It's noticeable to me that most Japanese games are card based, and there are very few actual board boardgames. So they're just not geared up to making hard quarter-boards for low print run games. If it keeps the cost down, I'm not bothered. It's more than good enough for the job (and keeps the weight down for mailing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Let's see...

I still haven't played Isaribi and Maskmen enough yet to be sure of where they sit for me.

The first Japanese game I discovered was Hanafuda, but it's more of a traditional game than what I think of as Japanese games.

The next one was Gateball? - a beautifully produced game, but still not much like the games I've discovered since.

Since then, I've added to my collection:

R-Eco
Traders of Osaka
The major four of Heizei
Inotaizu
Deeku
String Railway: Transport
Le Pâtissier
Guild
Trains
String Safari
Sail to India
Pharaoh Code (OK, it's Korean, but I bought it from Japan...)
Magical Athlete
Machi Koro
Koryŏ
Eggs of Ostrich
Decathlon

This year, nearly every game I've added to my collection has been from Japan:

Welcome to the Dungeon
Elements
Road to the Palace
Shephy
The King of Frontier
Too Many Cinderellas
Tunnels & Tricks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like everyone else, Machi Koro was very popular. Playing the 10 types of buildings at one time with the expansion is definitely the way to go. I can't wait for Sharp!

I also really enjoyed Banquet as a fast little two player drafting game. I wish there was an expansion though! It is a little on the light side.

We played Welcome to the Dungeon the other day because I wanted to show off try out my English HP/Monster list cards. We called the game because we were getting tired but we had fun.

Skirmish! The Scrambles was awesome and I should try out the 2 expansions tonight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
MadoMagion (a variant of Hanabi)
and maybe
Elements

There are tons of other Japanese games that are great and that I have, but I can't say I'm "hooked" on any others. I'm not hooked on any games these days, I think. I have too many games, and they've become a work to go through and translate. Once I'm done with one game, there are 10 new waiting around the corner, and it's impossible to sit down with one and go on with it.

But Madomagion always comes out. At any point, if we're 4 players and most have a reasonable amount of game experience, it's the top game and has been so since it came out. Amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobuaki Takerube
Japan
Minami-Tsugaru-Gun
Aomori-Ken
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for loving always Japanese games;-)

By the way, Koryo is also Korean game (Koryo is old name of Korea).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My current favs Elements, Shephy, Sail to India but I haven't tried a few of the other new ones yet. I'm interested in Long Live the Queen but waiting on English rules
Also if anyone has a spare copy of Hiyoko Drip geek mail me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Newlin
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would love to become hooked on some of these Japanese games, but I'm not sure he to get them in the U.S.
Any ideas, fellow BGG-ers? How did you get your copies if you're in the States?

I'm currently interested in:
In a Grove
A Fake Artist Goes to New York
Neos
Shephy
Kobayakawa
Elements
Mythe
Diamonsters
Maskmen
Katsu Curry?! This is not the time for that!
Susume!! Kaizoku-san
Donburiko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejnewlin wrote:
I would love to become hooked on some of these Japanese games, but I'm not sure he to get them in the U.S.
Any ideas, fellow BGG-ers? How did you get your copies if you're in the States?

I'm currently interested in:
In a Grove
A Fake Artist Goes to New York
Kobayakawa
Maskmen

https://oinkgms.stores.jp/#!/

International orders are okay. Have not used it however.
Hattari is also called Yabu no Naka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man....I'm just addicted to Hanafuda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizukage wrote:

https://oinkgms.stores.jp/#!/

International orders are okay. Have not used it however.
Hattari is also called Yabu no Naka.

Thanks so much for that link. I've been looking to find a copy of Welcome to the Dungeon. I'm also looking into purchasing a copy of Battle of Berserk from the Art of War website. I'd love to know of any other resources for acquiring Japanese games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of Battle of Berserk if anyone's interested. It's steep, though. I'd need $50 plus postage for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to toss this out there in case anyone stumbles by. I ordered two copies of Welcome to the Dungeon directly from the Oink Games website listed above on Wednesday, July 16th. The games arrived in Nebraska yesterday (Monday, July 21st) in perfect condition with two printed out copies of the translated English rules (I didn't even request those!). So awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.