Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Puerto Rico HD» Forums » General

Subject: New Puerto Rico App in the works - help us to create the best experience! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ravensburger Ravensburger
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
One first note: We’ve just uploaded an Update for Puerto Rico to Apple which should be live within the next week. This fixes several long time bugs and crashes.

Now to the main reason of this thread. We will start the development of a completely new Puerto Rico app in September. You may ask why? Codito did a very great job when they created the existing Puerto Rico app. After years of huge success we now want to bring the app (finally) to all Android users and maybe even other platforms. Doing so we originally just wanted to optimize and polish the general look and feel of the app. After careful consideration we came to the conclusion that it would be easier and better to simply start from scratch. This enables us to drop features people didn’t use and therefore focus on new features that you the players want. We will still use the great KI code of the existing app to ensure that your new experience against the computer will be at least as good as you know it – hopefully even better/harder.

The new app will also include all extensions of the board game for more fun and longtime motivation! We are also investigating the possibility of platform independent online multiplayer. So you never have to ask which system (iPhone, Android, etc.) your friend has. Simply invite him to a multiplayer match and have fun!

We will (again) work very close together with Andreas Seyfarth (author of the boardgame) as well as Stefan Brueck from Alea to create the best possible experience. Until then we want you to tell us what you liked most on the existing Puerto Rico app and what not. What feature did you use on a regular basis and which not? Which features did you miss (except iPhone support which will be in the new app anyway)?

Just let us know your thoughts – this is your unique chance to help us develop the App you like to play. Once the app is in a more advanced state (end of this year) we will look out for experienced Puerto Rico players to test the app in beta stage and who wants to play multiplayer matches together as well as kick the s*** out of the KI when playing against the computer .

For everyone who hasn’t experienced Puerto Rico so far here are some free Promo Codes (iOS and iPad only!). Please be so kind and leave a reply which code you used.

JFKLW3EPKYXL
N3TTATJTTETK
NKFKW7JEPHK3
KRTH7XLP6LXT
F9TXJ73R4E7F
LNJPTPXPYXFA
9NYJXJLNF79H
A636LW4MHYJT
TXLR3EWJWLAT
MJARHATJY3T4

Thanks for your help – looking forward to your answers/thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! I presume that Android will be the first place to get the new version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another really awesome thing Ravensburger could do is bring that new 2014 edition of Puerto Rico to the US. Instabuy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H M
Switzerland
Aargau
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the code--I used A636LW4MHYJT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
pfctsqr wrote:
Another really awesome thing Ravensburger could do is bring that new 2014 edition of Puerto Rico to the US. Instabuy for me.

I will forward this to Alea - once i have any news regarding a release/timing i'll let you know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To keep everybody happy with the Puerto Rico App, you could have a "Cute Mode" and a "Serious Mode". As an example, I really wished that that kind of dual mode was available with Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jana Wazowski
Canada
Kanata
On
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the code. MJARHATJY3T4 has been used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, I like the current app, but think it could be enhanced a bit with some smart choices.

Keep everything on one screen. Caylus, Agricola, and Waterdeep have quite a lot of unnecessary scrolling in them. But I always appreciated that Puerto Rico had all of its info in one compact screen. To a novice it might look crowded, but to an experienced player it is powerful. I can compare my neighbor's buildings easily. It was a smart decision by Codito, and the game would be worse with splitting in different screens (for tablet play -- phone's might require it).

Show the building's names. The icons aren't distinctive/memorable enough on their own. I want a small name, even an abbreviated one, underneath them at all times. I know I can drag that help icon, but I don't want to do that constantly. That's probably my chief complaint.

The "actived" light on the buildings is a little too subtle. I like the idea, but whatever shows a building is active should be more noticeable. Perhaps even de-cluttering the look of the buildings would help -- make the buildings a bit more like de-saturtated cutout contours instead of all the color in them. Then they can pop out with a little more color when activated.

Get rid of the splash screens during the intro (or allow us to checkmark "bypass intro screen" in a menu). It's a trend in games to show tons of logos, studios, and animation to announce the game when loading. It's impressive the first time, interesting the second time you see it, and absolutely annoying every time after. Don't make me wait. Design for that person using it the Nth time and give an option to bypass it completely. I know I can tap on the screen to dismiss it quicker, but why do I need to? I want to open the app with my menu choices (new game, resume game, multiplayer) shown immediately and without some time-consuming boot of the animation/music. Think like a user playing it for the 30th time, rather than using it the first time. The games display of the logo and studios are important to the studio, but not to the user when they want a quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harm van der Schans
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! I used the code: LNJPTPXPYXFA
When I have played it a few times the coming days I will come back here and post my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2019 Jun 12th - 16th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 21 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
littleboy wrote:
Make the UI much clearer. Something like, oh, say, the actual boardgame?

Ahmen. Alien Frontiers does it right. Looks and plays exactly like the real physical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Champlin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used KRTH7XLP6LXT. Thanks for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S.
United States
Sykesville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the promo code; I'll be sure to offer some feedback. Here's the one I used:

N3TTATJTTETK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for relooking at it. I GM the World Boardgaming Championship Puerto Rico tournament. Based on the extensive statistics gathered by my predecessors, seat position affects the probability of winning among competitive players. There are 2 solutions:
1. At WBC we have bidding for seat position.
2. Online players of "clones" of the game claim that having 3rd $ 4th (corn) seats start with 1 less coin evens the odds.
Implementing either or both of these as options would be great.
The designer has also proposed/intended to switch the costs of Factory & University. That would be an interesting option for setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
rmshay wrote:
The designer has also proposed/intended to switch the costs of Factory & University. That would be an interesting option for setup.

Thanks for your thoughts and to all others for their input.

I also got the Factory & University switch information from Alea. We will consider including this as an alternative option. Biggest problem offering several setup-options is that you limit the possibility of finding new/open online games which use especially those settings, too. Another possibility would be that players can "vote" for those options once they were linked together for an online match. So you can find open games easier but you might have to play (or reject) a game when you will be overruled in the options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Secluded beach on the Virginia coastline. One of the greatest places on earth.
badge
Beardandglasses
mbmbmbmbmb
RavensburgerBGG wrote:
One first note: We’ve just uploaded an Update for Puerto Rico to Apple which should be live within the next week. This fixes several long time bugs and crashes.

Now to the main reason of this thread. We will start the development of a completely new Puerto Rico app in September. You may ask why? Codito did a very great job when they created the existing Puerto Rico app. After years of huge success we now want to bring the app (finally) to all Android users and maybe even other platforms. Doing so we originally just wanted to optimize and polish the general look and feel of the app. After careful consideration we came to the conclusion that it would be easier and better to simply start from scratch. This enables us to drop features people didn’t use and therefore focus on new features that you the players want. We will still use the great KI code of the existing app to ensure that your new experience against the computer will be at least as good as you know it – hopefully even better/harder.

The new app will also include all extensions of the board game for more fun and longtime motivation! We are also investigating the possibility of platform independent online multiplayer. So you never have to ask which system (iPhone, Android, etc.) your friend has. Simply invite him to a multiplayer match and have fun!

We will (again) work very close together with Andreas Seyfarth (author of the boardgame) as well as Stefan Brueck from Alea to create the best possible experience. Until then we want you to tell us what you liked most on the existing Puerto Rico app and what not. What feature did you use on a regular basis and which not? Which features did you miss (except iPhone support which will be in the new app anyway)?

Just let us know your thoughts – this is your unique chance to help us develop the App you like to play. Once the app is in a more advanced state (end of this year) we will look out for experienced Puerto Rico players to test the app in beta stage and who wants to play multiplayer matches together as well as kick the s*** out of the KI when playing against the computer .

For everyone who hasn’t experienced Puerto Rico so far here are some free Promo Codes (iOS and iPad only!). Please be so kind and leave a reply which code you used.

JFKLW3EPKYXL
N3TTATJTTETK
NKFKW7JEPHK3
KRTH7XLP6LXT
F9TXJ73R4E7F
LNJPTPXPYXFA
9NYJXJLNF79H
A636LW4MHYJT
TXLR3EWJWLAT
MJARHATJY3T4

I'd like to claim TXLR3EWJWLAT. Thanks!
Edit: says it was already redeemed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NKFKW7JEPHK3 Claimed! Thanks so much!

beardandglasses wrote:
RavensburgerBGG wrote:

JFKLW3EPKYXL
N3TTATJTTETK
NKFKW7JEPHK3
KRTH7XLP6LXT
F9TXJ73R4E7F
LNJPTPXPYXFA
9NYJXJLNF79H
A636LW4MHYJT
TXLR3EWJWLAT
MJARHATJY3T4

I'd like to claim TXLR3EWJWLAT. Thanks!
Edit: says it was already redeemed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions will also cause some online splintering, too. Unless online has only random selection if using the expansions.
IF you keep statistics on online outcomes, you could add the "tournament" setting later, based on a review of outcomes. If any buzz develops about an issue with seat order determining the winner, add the option. While tournament play and several AIs playing each other show an issue, its quite possible that it won't be apparent among a large number of less cut throat players.
It would be great if you could keep data on seat position scores. I am sure many other games have seat position advantages, Puerto Rico is just so popular that enough data was collected to demonstrate the issue.
Let me know if there is any way I can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Forster
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RavensburgerBGG wrote:
We are also investigating the possibility of platform independent online multiplayer. So you never have to ask which system (iPhone, Android, etc.) your friend has. Simply invite him to a multiplayer match and have fun!

This should be done for every digital implementation of a board game ever. I have bought some games more than once so that I can play them with others on "their" platform. I wish this could be made mandatory. As an IT guy, I know that this takes some work....but it isn't that difficult of an obstacle to overcome. I'm not sure I will buy another multiplayer digital implementation of a board game that is not cross platform. Pass & play just doesn't really count.

So....please include this feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the Android release!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
RavensburgerBGG wrote:
Until then we want you to tell us what you liked most on the existing Puerto Rico app and what not. What feature did you use on a regular basis and which not? Which features did you miss (except iPhone support which will be in the new app anyway)?

I tend to use apps only for play against AI, or very rarely in place of the board for multiplayer; I believe I've only ever played Puerto Rico against the AI.

The only feature I missed was the original graphics, when the app was updated last October. I downloaded the new version, and couldn't stand the new graphics, so I reverted to the old version. The original graphics were very clean; the updated graphics were bothersome enough that I immediately went through the effort of getting rid of them. I'd hope that any new release would offer the classic graphics, from the original boardgame, as an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All codes claimed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the implementation of Puerto Rico is solid.

I wouldn't include in app purchases if you were considering this. I am a bit turned off by the splitting of the expansion in the Lords of waterdeep app. (they splitted the boardgame expansion into two different expansions). If I had done it I would probably do it the same but offer a discounted "pack" option.
I would even consider given discounts to people that allready have apps of other games.
I don't know how much work it is but the option of being able to choose between two layouts/ graphics would be nice. Like Joe stated some of us prefer original graphics over updated ones.

the undo action was very unclear in a multiplayer local game. Normally it is a thing you don't use but that needs or needed some fixing.

I believe the option is there to select the start player, but not second, third and fourth.. That is determined by position on the grid in relation to the start player. It's not a real problem but if you can select start player why can't you decide other positions.

Another option I would add is the confirm action yes/no box. The slide used by the Eclipse app is a nice way to confirm your move. Not necessary if you play alone but handy if you are playing with more on the same device.

I had a problem with San juan app in the beginning with too little difference in the colours of sugar and silver but that was because I was new to it. I didn't encounter that problem with puerto rico allthough the plantages are mighty small. I think it would help some that the resource is shown when you scroll over (again as an option to be turned onn or off in settings that you can change during a game)

for the multiplayers it would be nice to add profiles to the app. that keeps track of the games.
Lords of waterdeep app does that. allthough mine stopped adding victories to my profile when I changed it to play with more profiles. we played it a couple of times with more.

Private games is a definitive selling point.
I'm not sure if it's there allready but I could definately talk some friends into getting that so we can play a game against each other. If it's there tell me and I'm sure some of my friends get it.

a hardcore mode would be fun too but not to serious. If you haven't completed your turn in a set amount of seconds the computer doe a random move. Just kidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Make a pass and play option possible with the official 2 player rules and user selectable 5 (2+3) or 6 (3+3) roles selected per round and further tweaks suggested by the 2-player variant discussion on craftman angst. For example:
* 3 or 4 places in the trading house
* no library or different library rule
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/679445/enders-comprehensive-...

Perhaps also add a Thief-like role for more player interaction.

The buildings and plantations should be more iconic and recognisable, perhaps stick to the color of the plantations (and the color of the production buildings). With 2 players there is more space available on screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littleboy wrote:
Make the UI much clearer. Something like, oh, say, the actual boardgame? You should be able to clearly see, without being distracted by ugly fluff, all the key information you need with clean, tidy iconography.

A thousand dittos here. I don't know how many times I've mixed up the different commodities because the icons aren't obvious enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle Farm
msg tools
I picked up 9NYJXJLNF79H

I have a holiday on a beach in Raratonga in the South Pacific soon, so I will be hoping for a tropical storm to give it a good thrash!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.