J G
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russia is a very different map to USA and Germany maps.

Differences in the Russia Map.
1) In the resource market in you only have 3 to choose from and 3 in the future's market.
2) The next 3 cheapest plants are shuffled into the top of the Power Plant draw pile.
3) Removal of 2 cheap garbage Power Plants.

Outcome of Differences in Russia Map
This limitation on choice emphasises the little bit of luck that is in every Power Grid game. This luck is, that sometimes a good new Power Plant becomes available in the futures market and immediately becomes available in the current market. This prevents others from bidding on it and making the Power Plant cost what it is worth for that particular game board. This seems to be only bit of luck that players need to adapt for in the Power Grid game and the Russian map rules emphasise this luck.

A removal of some of the Garbage Power Plant cards and the shuffling of other cheap plants into the beginning of the Power Plant draw pile changes the game in a minor manner. It makes for an ability to start in places where connection costs are not necessarily the cheapest. As the plants drawn are guaranteed to be on the cheaper side. However later, Garbage Power Plants cards become a little more valuable in the game.

It is fantastic game that offers challenging game play such as some very high connection rates versus very low connection rates for different cities making for competitive 2 player games. It has been immediately incorporated within my Power Grid map collection and my overall board game round.

Japan is a very different map to USA and Germany maps also.

Differences in the Japan Map.
1) It is a very narrow map compared to USA and Germany.
2) It has some cities with 2 Step 1 points in 1 city, some cities with only Step 2 and Step 3 points in 1 city.
3) Resources start at higher prices.
4) People can start 2 different networks on their first go only.

Outcome of Differences in Japan Map
The Japan map I found to be much more interesting than the Russian map for a 2 player game. The narrower map and the changing of some cities being available in Step 2 and 3 only, or 2 places available in Step 1 makes for a map with many choke points. In other words players can block other players from building in the most efficient manner. This blocking makes for a significant change in strategy. This in the end adds to the expense of an average player's game. To overcome these choke points above, to a little bit of a degree, 2 different networks are allowed to be started per player on the first go only. However, with that said the person who first buys city locations (initial networks) seems to have a greater advantage than a person who first buys city locations (initial network) on other Power Grid maps.

The resource market also starts at an overall higher price than typical Power Grid map starting prices. This higher price makes for a very competitive resource market. Combine this with the added expense of being blocked as shown in the above paragraph can make for some very expensive turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, the most significant change in the rules provided for the Russia map is that, instead of removing the lowest power plant if no one puts a plant up for auction, you remove the lowest power plant if the first player does not put a plant up for auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
the most significant change in the Russia map is instead of removing the lowest power plant if no one puts a plant up for auction, you remove the lowest power plant if the first player does not put a plant up for auction.

Yes that changes to game play is big but mis-understood its significance because I had not read the original game board rules properly.

In the original game rules, instead of this....
Players then immediately draw a new card to replace the card sold and place the new card in the market. They rearrange the power plants in ascending order: the four lowest in the actual market, the four highest in the future market.

I got it round the wrong way and had been playing this....
They rearrange the power plants in ascending order: the four lowest in the actual market, the four highest in the future market. Players then immediately draw a new card to replace the card sold and place the new card in the market.

As a result a high Power Plant card was constantly making it into the current market and thereby wrongly eliminated the significance of the rule that you highlight for me....

Been doing that for a couple of months.... dang.

Thanks for that as it also changes the significance of the luck of drawing the right cards in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.