Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Vikings» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarification. Starting positions on the fame track and gold for VPs. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Indeed you start at 10 so you can trade in victory points for gold at the offset if you so wish.

Not got the rule book in front of me but I think you can trade in victory points for gold at any time on your turn that you have victory points available ( you can't have negative vp for gold)

Veteran plays, many games - we usually end up 40+ points! sometimes I recall going past the highest on the track into the 50+ points range.

Tip - do not under estimate the need for fishermen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider myself a veteran but the lowest score I got in about 20 games is 63 (which makes me wonder if I got a rule wrong after reading Mark's usual scores).

EDIT: and my highest scores being 119 and 114 in a 2-p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ken, I'm just recalling from memory, I know we often got back past the zero spot. ( had the game few years).
You probably playing just fine...and very well thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That 10 point rule should really only matter when during the first couple of auction rounds. After the first big scoring, you should be above 10 for the rest of the game.

As for when you trade, that's simple. Trade when you buy. For example, you have 4 gold left, but you want to buy the tile at 7. Spend all 4 of your gold, then move your points marker down the track by 3 to make up the difference. Pick up your tile and play it as normal.

Did that answer your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YeahSureWhatever wrote:
At the beginning of the game all players start at the 10 fame track. Could you theoretically trade 11 victory points landing you at the end of the fame track?

No.

You could trade 10 victory points (for 10 gold) to take you to the beginning of the fame track.

You begin with only 10 fame, so you can't trade in 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Vikings over 30 times. Very good game. In terms of trading points for gold, it is pretty situational. I certainly would not find myself doing it every game, but on occasion it can be useful and you might even do it a couple of times in a game (that would be pretty rare). I doubt I have ever done it more than twice in a game.

You tend to do it when you really need a particular tile/meeple set ( normally for the tile) and you are a couple of coins short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.