Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I am looking to add another pick up and deliver game to my collection, preferably one that has route building. The only pick up and deliver game we own is Merchant of Venus (second edition) and both my son and I love it.

The most important thing I am looking for is that it plays well with 2 (my son, he's 12, and I will get the most play out of it).
It would be a bonus if it is something I can introduce the rest of my family to (my wife and older daughter who is 9).
This is also a game I would like to introduce to my gaming groups so I am looking for a game that handles more than 2 players.

I have done some searching on BGG and so far I am seriously considering:
Rolling Freight
Railways of the World
Kings of Air and Steam

Also, I am going to get The Great Heartland Hauling Co. when it gets reprinted and I just traded for Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League which is why I am looking for something that also includes route building.

Thanks for all your help!
Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
... which is why I am looking for something that also includes route building.
Newly on the horizon, this one has pick up and deliver with route rearranging: Switching Tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kings of Air and Steam would do well for you. My wife and I usually play this two player (and it goes all the way to 7, I believe), and the fact it comes with a modular board helps with the variety and scaling between player counts. Also it has 14 different characters with different abilities that you can choose from as your pilot so there are different strategies to explore every time you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly: The Game falls squarely under pick up and deliver, the theme is very strong but the game doesn't use it as a crutch for a poor foundation. If you and your family are Firefly fans then you'll love it, if you aren't then it's a good excuse to become one. You could watch the show and the Serenity movie with your son to enhance the game experience if you and he enjoy sci-fi.

Silverton is my current favorite route building game. It's very easy to pick up and I think it plays fairly fast once you have the turn sequence down. Players purchase passenger routes, mines, produce & deliver goods throughout the game to build income and increase the size of their railroad. It's not a stock game like the 18xx train games but it is market driven so there's a little bit of work to do at the end of each turn as the market is adjusted but it's a minor chore. It plays from 1 to 6 players, I play it often solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Railways of the World is excellent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World is the strongest game in your group. There are a variety of maps available, so you should be fine with two.

However, you might also want to look at one of Railway's slightly more sophisticated cousins, Steam or Age of Steam, as they both feature very similar gameplay, and I believe that there are more two player maps available, many courtesy of Bezier Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses so far.
I have looked into Cinque Terre and it is on my wish list. However; I am looking for something a little heavier with this purchase. I am also on the fence as to whether or not my kids would like the theme.
My kids like the train theme and my son and I are huge sci-fi fans.

KoS may be the front runner right now because I think it is a game my whole family could play. My concern is how it handles 2, but it seems like that isn't an issue.
My kids are both enameled with Railways of the World but it seems to be the heaviest game on my list and I am not sure my older daughter (9) would be all in for such a long game. I am also weary of a game that has an auction mechanic for deciding first place, not sure how well my kids would do with that.
I really like everything I've read and seen about Rolling Freight, but it seems to have mixed opinions about the 2p game. Plus my son likes the idea of being able to build your own tracks.

I need to check out Firefly and Silverton, thanks for the suggestions. Both games sound intriguing.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses and I would certainly appreciate more advice.

Cheers,
Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lim Lex

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
Hi Will,
Do check out Istanbul and Coal Baron as well. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
terpitude71 wrote:
Kings of Air and Steam would do well for you. My wife and I usually play this two player (and it goes all the way to 7, I believe), and the fact it comes with a modular board helps with the variety and scaling between player counts. Also it has 14 different characters with different abilities that you can choose from as your pilot so there are different strategies to explore every time you play.

+1 for Kings of Air and Steam.

+1 also for steam. More route building (which is the delivery part), whereas KoAaS is more about the pickup and deliver part.

The nice thing about KoAaS is that the map is modular, so you don't need additional maps for different number of players, and it's always slightly random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Rolling Freight and Railways of the World would likely do the job nicely. Both are excellent games. Please be warned that RotW requires a lot of table space. Many smaller tables will not work for it - I'm sure you can find some pictures here on BGG showing the maps.

Kings of Air and Steam ... it was okay? I didn't dislike it but I would recommend the others above first.

I personally love Age of Steam and Steam, but they can be very cutthroat and punishing of mistakes. That is part of the appeal for gamers but I can also envision younger players getting frustrated by that if they're not prepared for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
I have looked into Cinque Terre and it is on my wish list. However; I am looking for something a little heavier with this purchase.
The rules are very much simple on the surface. Easy to read and the route only goes in a circle. Though truly, keeping on top of the logistics for what I want to carry and then drop off means tracking multiple threads that can tax me to near my personal limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.