Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurtis Miller
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technical Difficulties die:

Other than being rolled when you have technical difficulties, what does this do? It's only mentioned once (in passing) in the rules, and not at all on the score sheet. Does the icon you roll indicate how many technical difficulties you've had? (Seems unfair, and why not just use a numbered die?) Other than this section, I assumed that technical difficulties worked just like encores - you started at 1 and ticked them off in order.

To make this die more relevant, perhaps the score track should have the symbols instead of numbers. You roll the die and cross off the appropriate symbol. If it's already been crossed off, you lose a turn (and mark that off). If you've already lost your "lose a turn" spot, at that point you bomb out. (Still not super happy with this idea, play around with it. )

An alternative idea for technical difficulties: die penalty on the next turn - discard one die at the beginning of the turn. Maybe this could be affected by the icon on the TD die - some cause you to lose a die, some to lose a turn?

Encores and Gig Time:

The wording here is somewhat ambiguous. The way I interpret it is that you may attempt an Encore during Gig Time (but are not required to do so), but if you do attempt and fail, you're out of the game.

The way it's written, this could alternatively be interpreted that you MUST attempt an Encore during Gig Time, and there's no penalty for failure during the attempt (other than a Technical Difficulty for not scoring on the turn), but one must be completed before the end of Gig Time or else you fail at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, other than being rolled after failing to score on a Performance, nothing. The icons are simply thematic. I make up events when a symbol comes up (eg. lightning bolt = "Oh no! The power went out!"; flat tire = "I guess we're canceling Albuquerque").

I considered putting the symbol in the box instead of a number, and either decided against the possibility of escaping TDs with a double-roll of any symbol. Your "lose a turn" idea is a very solid option. House rule it a few times and see how it works?

You could do away with the Technical Difficulties dice all together and a) just cross off a box on the scorecard (it is there, bottom right column) or b) not even use it. Simply, fail to score, pass the dice. But that gets a little boring for me. There has to be some risk or loss for failing to score.

I understand that this is an area that desperately needs some attention. It doesn't break the game - currently - but it does very little, if anything, to make it qualitatively better. I'm floating around some ideas at the moment. I may add Event Cards, perhaps even instead of the TD die, that would occur after failing a Performance (eg. "Your drummer gets wasted before the show. Cross of a TD box"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
…(eg. "Your drummer gets wasted before the show. Cross a TD box.")…

(the BGG app cut off the end of my post) cont'd…

I'm also thinking about adding some kind of board so that players also have a player token to maneuver up the ladder for the big win. If this were to happen, it would definitely be much more interesting than a board/scoretrack AND a score card. I'd like to somehow incorporate some worker placement mechanics, and perhaps develop an economic system for this (i.e. strings, sticks, gas money, etc. get traded for completing show requirements)…or Show requirements are entirely expanded away from a lone dice roll (Performance) and somehow measure the progress of your band. Successfully Perform Shows, get farther down The Road, get closer to The Top. Something like that. I love (and live) the theme; developing the mechanics is harder than making it cool.

Right now, I need more free time before this will get developed further. I made this up at the music school I work at, so I've got some play testers; Those kids were the best guinea pigs. But I need the time. I'm sure everyone knows how this goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Technical Difficulties problem has been solved.

Download the latest file. It includes 96 tomato tokens.

---
When you fail to score on a Performance, roll the Technical Difficulties die. Cross off the matching symbol on the [updated] scorecard. Collect one tomato token.

If the symbol is already crossed off, collect two tomato tokens.

When four symbols have been crossed off (in any order), Bomb the Show! - collect two tomatoes and miss your next Performance (lose a turn).

Collect 25 tomatoes and you lose!
---

Hope you enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.