Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings! Not sure if this is the right forum...if not, please suggest where I should post.

I recently won an auction for only the second time. The first time, I was able to pay through PayPal without having to create a PayPal account myself. This seems to be a route that is no longer available to people on the PayPal site.

Am I missing something? I won the auction, and am willing to pay, but I am not willing to create a PayPal account to do it. I am planning to contact the seller to see if an online banking check can be sent instead, but I am wondering if there is a workflow that will work using Paypal that I have not thought of.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Googling the exact phrase you used for this thread's title yields the results you're looking for (ahem!), e.g. http://panelsyndicate.com/help/paypal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
Googling the exact phrase you used for this thread's title yields the results you're looking for (ahem!), e.g. http://panelsyndicate.com/help/paypal

I appreciate the help, but that states how to pay ON THEIR SITE with Paypal without having an account. Lots of sites have similar instructions.

BGG does not have a "Pay with Paypal" page - it just has the email address of the payee. With that information, I cannot get to a page where I can pay using Paypal without opening an account.

You really think I did not try to search out the answer myself first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
holgerd wrote:

I appreciate the help, but that states how to pay ON THEIR SITE with Paypal without having an account. Lots of sites have similar instructions.

BGG does not have a "Pay with Paypal" page - it just has the email address of the payee. With that information, I cannot get to a page where I can pay using Paypal without opening an account.

You really think I did not try to search out the answer myself first?

No offence meant, but the very first hit I get from Google is this: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/mer/WAX_landing-... - which of course also points out that this is a feature that is only available to certain customers and which may be disabled at their discretion. I suppose if the instructions therein don't match with what you see when trying to complete a BGG transaction, then that feature is not available. I guess you could always create a PayPal account, complete the transaction, and then close the account again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked at that as well. No offense taken, by the way - I am happy to have goofed in some way if it helps others to figure this out. On that site, it states:

"The checkout automatically applies to Website Payment tools like Buy Now Buttons, Donations, and PayPal Shopping Cart, as well as our Request Money and PayPal Invoicing features."

As far as I can tell, what happens with BGG transactions (from auctions and such) is that I just have an email address to send the paypal transaction to. If I go to the paypal site, and state that I want to send money to that email address, I am prompted to either register for an account or sign up. There is no option to continue by just putting in my credit card info for a one-time transaction without a PP account.

So, it seems that PayPal allows web sites that process transactions to allow payment without a PP account, but the Paypal site itself does not allow any such option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too did not have a PayPal account. When I needed to use the service I was able to do the transaction and then immediately cancel my account. There was a question with multiple choice clickable answers. The question was "Why do you want to close the account?" One of the answer choices was "because I just needed it for a single transaction." Would that be acceptable to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
I too did not have a PayPal account. When I needed to use the service I was able to do the transaction and then immediately cancel my account. There was a question with multiple choice clickable answers. The question was "Why do you want to close the account?" One of the answer choices was "because I just needed it for a single transaction." Would that be acceptable to you?

Well, maybe...but linking a bank account and giving my Social Security number just for a single transaction seems extreme. In the original case that prompted my first post, I have sent a check through online banking, and I will just have to wait to get the game.

Since then, I have another transaction with the same issues, and I have tried creating an account on Paypal, and the payment will not go through because it is being blocked by PayPal's security software - my having a new account and not having an invoice are the issues according to the Paypal support person I just spoke with. I did not have to enter a bank account, but I still needed to give my SSN.

If I could close the account and wipe the SSN and credit card numbers from the account when I do so, I would feel a lot better. I get the feeling that your info is still stored on their servers even though you closed the account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
linking a bank account and giving my Social Security number

I don't remember the details (I'm old!), but I can't believe I would have written my social security number online for anything. I refuse to do any banking or financial dealings online - this is a general statement, not specific to buying games. If PayPal had asked me for my social security number, I believe I would have immediately backed out of the site and written to the games seller about alternate payment options. My transaction was some time ago, so maybe PayPal has changed in the interim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
Mizerak wrote:
linking a bank account and giving my Social Security number

I don't remember the details (I'm old!), but I can't believe I would have written my social security number online for anything. I refuse to do any banking or financial dealings online - this is a general statement, not specific to buying games. If PayPal had asked me for my social security number, I believe I would have immediately backed out of the site and written to the games seller about alternate payment options. My transaction was some time ago, so maybe PayPal has changed in the interim.

I believe it has changed. I looked up a lot online when it asked me for my SSN. Apparently PayPal is treated as a large bank now, and the IRS requires the SSN for any USA-based users (Tax ID or Passport numbers can be used as well). Yeah, I was not happy about that part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi: I have a Pay-pal account tied to my credit card and no Social Security # was requested. I do know that Pay-Pal wants to convert their customers to their own in house Credit card - it saves them the credit-fee (1% to ?%). Maybe the request for the SSI # was because of the Credit Application, which is normal business with credit companies.

Like everyone on this post, I don't share my SSI with anyone unless they are vetted by me! But it does sound sketchy to ask for an SSI # without a Credit approval pending - - Although, when I signed up for Pay-Pal last year - no request was made for me to give out my number - Good Luck!

Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is at least one of the reasons why PayPal asks for a SSN, from their site.

PayPal wrote:
What is Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 6050W?
Under the legislation, we'll report to the IRS the total payment volume received by US account holders whose payments exceed both of these levels in a calendar year:

US$20,000 in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year

200 separate payments for goods or services in the same year

IRC Section 6050W applies to all payment processors, including PayPal. Our goal is to help PayPal sellers understand and comply with the new requirements.

How will I know if IRC Section 6050W affects me?
PayPal will track the payment volume of your account(s) to check whether your payment volume exceeds both of these levels in a calendar year:

$20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year

200 payments for goods or services in the same year

You may be asked to add your tax ID number, such as a Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN), to your existing account(s), if you don’t already have one on file.

If you cross the IRS thresholds in 2012, PayPal will send Form 1099-K to you and the IRS for the 2012 tax year in early 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a friend with PayPal who would pay for you, and you could pay them with cash/check?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.