Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Scrabble» Forums » Variants

Subject: Minimum and maximum tile lays - obvious house rules or variants imho rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky blaze
msg tools
Like to play on a nice open board?

Want no one laying single tiles to form obscure 2 letter words in some weird cluster then implement the minimum tile lay variant - essentially agree a minimum level and players MUST lay that minimum amount or exchange tiles - of course once the bag is empty and all tiles are on racks and board then you could un-apply the rule. I suggest a minimum of 4 tiles

Of course if you prefer closed play apply a maximum tile lay (though of course this would make the 7 tile lay bonus void)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
skyblaze wrote:

Want no one laying single tiles to form obscure 2 letter words in some weird cluster then implement the minimum tile lay variant - essentially agree a minimum level and players MUST lay that minimum amount or exchange tiles - of course once the bag is empty and all tiles are on racks and board then you could un-apply the rule. I suggest a minimum of 4 tiles

Of course if you prefer closed play apply a maximum tile lay (though of course this would make the 7 tile lay bonus void)

I love to play on a nice open board. But this is seldom possible from the mid-game point. When I play my father-in-law or my wife, shutting down bingo lanes is a big part of the game: you play your best 7-letter word and prevent the other from doing so as much as possible. It is a blood sport in our house
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
skyblaze wrote:

What's the point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky blaze
msg tools
are you deliberately trying to wind me up? - i answered on my other variant post - variants just offer a new spin that people can try that they may actually enjoy

Scrabble is an excellent game but sometimes it just needs a little twist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky blaze
msg tools
I think a minimum tile lay suggestion is in reaction to a few times I have played against computers and its just a blob of letters in the centre where high scoring 1 tile lays are annoying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just think that takes some of the very essence out of Scrabble, but you're right, I shouldn't criticize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.