Subject: General + Magician vs. Prince rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Nikolic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a situation
Round 1) Player A plays General[6]; Player B plays Minister[4]; A wins
Round 2) Player A plays Magician [5+2]; Player B plays Prince[7]; ?

Is the second round a draw since the Magician nullifies the special powers or the Prince wins regardless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. Magician's ability has priority over the Prince.

When Magician is in play, you always compare only the card value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Z
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Are you sure?

My brother and I ran into this situation last night. I would have thought what you thought, but the little cheat card included with the game says the prince wins. I wonder if the card is wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The prince wins" is the normal power of the prince. But since the magician is played, it has been nullified and you only compare strengths. In this case it would be "on hold" as prince vs 5+7 are the same strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions have a chart that shows which card beat which, and it clearly shows the Prince winning against the wizard/magician.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perrygf wrote:
The instructions have a chart that shows which card beat which, and it clearly shows the Prince winning against the wizard/magician.

Right, but in this case the General was played the previous turn, which means the Magician is worth 7 instead of 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Con
Russia
flag msg tools
It is not clear about the Prince.
On the one hand, the Prince "always" wins (i.e. the opposite card -- except the Princess and the Musician -- doesn't even need to consider). On the other hand, particularly specified that the Assassin's power doesn't work against a Prince (why is it specified, if it is "always"?).
That is either absolutely "always" with the exception of the Princess/Musician (in this case Prince wins), or not "always" with the exception of the Assassin (in this case round "on hold").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing this with my son, and he came up with the same question. Has anyone else played this enough to recommend playing one way over the other in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Tauman
msg tools
perrygf wrote:

The chart doesn't consider another card getting a +2 boost from the General.

I feel the Wizard is more powerful than the Prince. The Wizard wins 5 rounds (same as the Prince). The Wizard doesn't have to worry about losing the game immediately, thus making him the best card in the game. You may want to house rule that the Prince's special power isn't affected by the Wizard's special power. Thus, the Prince will always beat the Wizard.

The following is my player aid (for the Blue Orange edition), not considering my house rule:

0 - Jester (loses vs. the Wizard)
* This round is on-hold (even vs. the Prince).
1 - Princess
* If the opponent played the Prince, you win.
2 - Spy
* Next round, opponent reveals their card first.
3 - Assassin (loses vs. the Wizard, & Prince)
* The lowest strength wins.
* Round on-hold vs. the Jester.
*4 - Minister
* If you win with this card, you get 2 victories.
* If you win while on-hold, worth 2 victories.
5 - Wizard
* Nullifies the special power of opponent's card.
* Will even nullify the Prince's special power.
6 - General
* Your next card played this game gets +2.
7 - Prince
* You win the round. * Nullify text vs. Prince.
* Loses vs. the Princess. * Wins vs. Assassin.
* Round on-hold vs. Jester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.