Hide
13 Posts

Scrabble» Forums » General

Subject: Your fave alternative word game to Scrabble rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky blaze
msg tools
Ignoring the official variants (dice, travel, deluxe, party...) and house rules whats your favourite word/letters game apart from Scrabble?

Unspeakable Words looks kind of fun to play a few times

Qwirkle looks fine but probably more Sudoku-ish and though it plays like Scrabble its all shapes and colours

Boggle I would assume is a big alternative but I just never got into it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question. I would have to go with boggle. Fun game. Huggermugger is another one. Actually, I would pick Huggermugger over boggle. My wife is too good at boggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jitters

Great word game with dice.

Wonderful with kids. It is fun and good to teach with too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback - It's a deckbuilding word game. I wondered how the idea would even work initially but I think it works beautifully. Very simple to play and lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boggle, Scattergories, and Upwords are all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montage and What's My Word? are both brilliant hidden gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuyWord is good and quite a bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarnac is a great 2 player word game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyways is far and away my favourite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Gallardo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Upwords (much less demanding and frustrating than Scrabble), Jarnac (play this if you have Bananagrams and only two players), and Montage (the closest thing to a crossword game)

Other favourites:
* WYPS
* Last Word (Play this if you need an anagram fix and only have pencil and paper on hand)
* Word Squares (Classic and largely forgotten pencil-and-paper game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
No one has mentioned Bananagrams!

I love Scrabble, but can suffer from AP. Bananagrams is a game my wife and I can bust out and play 3 games in a row, plus it has great tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Growing up, my grandmother had a set of Spill and Spell at her house. Very simple game: roll the dice, which have letters on them. Then make a Bananagrams-style crossword grid out of all of the rolled letters. You score the square of the sum of the tiles in each word (so if you have a 4x5 cross, you score 16+25); you lose points for unplayed dice.

A very good combination of spatial reasoning and spelling/vocabulary -- probably one reason why I got pretty good at those things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benji
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Jarnac. The only downside is it only plays two players, but it works very well with two teams.
I love it because there is nothing better than stealing your opponent's word. There is less downtime as you always are focused on your tiles or the opponent's tile. If you don't see a word, sometime better to pass quickly than let your opponent find something with your letters !
and last but not least, a HUGE plus for me is that I can switch from english to french as the tiles for several languages are included in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.