Subject: Wargames With Stupid Names rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I can't bring myself to play wargemes with stupid names - names that don't sound war-like, or that seem misleading. Let me stipulate: this is subjective and completely irrational. Here are my favorite examples :

[NOTE: I make no comment about the content or quality of the games listed - they may be excellent; I've never played them. I-just-can't-get-past-their-names!]

1. Blocks in the East - Wargame names can't be childish!
Little Darlings Preschool agenda:
9:00 - 9:30 - Lincoln Logs in the center
9:30 - 10:00 - Blocks in the east
10:00 - 10:30 - Potty training
10:30 - 11:00 - Legos in the south

2. Maria - Is it just me, or is this a tad FEMANINE for a wargame name? What's the sequel gonna be, 'Shirley'?

3. Battle Above The Clouds - I LOVE World War I aerial warfare!

and my very favorite...

4. Liberty Roads - She's the chubby female singer in a second-rate patriotic review. "And now, for a rousing rendition of America the Beautiful, join me in welcoming -- Liberty Roads!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The name was coined by Brigadier General M. C. Meigs and I can't see anything wrong or stupid about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hit the Beach makes me think:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 makes me think of Styx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Drange
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:

2. Maria - Is it just me, or is this a tad FEMANINE for a wargame name? What's the sequel gonna be, 'Shirley'?

I realize this is tongue in cheek and all, but, nah, I hope it is just you. Why should Friedrich be OK, but not Maria?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We now return to histrionic war-game titles, already in progress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Seems to be a problem with the observer, not the titles, which all appear perfectly fine.

Quote:
2. Maria - Is it just me, or is this a tad FEMANINE for a wargame name?

That not what her opponent Freddie would have thought after she put him through the wringer. At least he'd have spelled 'feminine' correctly.

Quote:
What's the sequel gonna be, 'Shirley'?

'Elisabeth' obviously... you need to brush up your history.

The best way to envision the Maria/Elisabeth interaction with Freddie is the Bambi and Thumper scene from Diamonds are Forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
We now return to histrionic war-game titles posts, already in progress...

FTFY

markus wrote:
The best way to envision the Maria/Elisabeth interaction with Freddie is the Bambi and Thumper scene from Diamonds are Forever.

That's another image burned into my grey matter forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaggar wrote:
Quote:

The name was coined by Brigadier General M. C. Meigs and I can't see anything wrong or stupid about it.

Have you ever been to Chattanooga and visited the battlefields there? I would guess no because I have been there and completely understand why the battle was given that name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Maria is an ace name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing says I'm phoning it in like joke titles such as "Stonewalled" and "Twin Peaks". I'm actually really looking forward to these Civil War battles from the GBACW series and I'm sure they will be good, but please come up with better and more respectful titles. Also from GMT, "Hammerin' Sickles" on the second day at Gettysburg is not much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Malaggar wrote:
Quote:

Have you ever been to Chattanooga and visited the battlefields there? I would guess no because I have been there and completely understand why the battle was given that name.

I guess this posts wasn't dedicated for me, but for the author of the topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TomW731 wrote:
Nothing says I'm phoning it in like joke titles such as "Stonewalled" and "Twin Peaks". I'm actually really looking forward to these Civil War battles from the GBACW series and I'm sure they will be good, but please come up with better and more respectful titles. Also from GMT, "Hammerin' Sickles" on the second day at Gettysburg is not much better.

Yeah Hammerin' Sickles was the one that I thought of too. Terrible name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you on Blocks in the East. Would they name a game Counters in the East?

Serbien muß sterbien is no good.

Chicken of the Sea is a terrible name.

ADD: Under the Lily Banners and Red Poppies: WWI Tactics sound a bit soft for wargames, but actually make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Serbien muß sterbien

I think it's quote from some propaganda song/poem/whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that Blocks was a pun on Bloc. But now they're stuck with it.

Similarly, what if a wargame was called Counter Attack/Counter Strike/Counter Offensive, etc? Amusing if purposely done, but not a deal-breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaggar wrote:
Quote:
Serbien muß sterbien

I think it is, but still, I don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It must be a slow news day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sea Kings" new game by Worthington.

I just hear "Sea Monkeys" when I read that. Can't help it. Instant turn-off.

It's actually about Vikings and so maybe makes good sense, I leave that to you dear reader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaggar wrote:
Quote:
Serbien muß sterbien

Correct (propaganda),anti-serb sentiment,and it is used during Austro-Hungarian goverment to describe political position of Serbs in a humiliating way,nothing related to the theme of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VPG is publishing Brian Train's PnP about Russia's land-grab. They are re-titling it "Putin Pressure on Ukraine" Not sure if that's Alan's or Brian's idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jheaney wrote:
VPG is publishing Brian Train's PnP about Russia's land-grab. They are re-titling it "Putin Pressure on Ukraine" Not sure if that's Alan's or Brian's idea.

Hint: it's not Brian's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
jheaney wrote:

Hint: it's not Brian's.

That's what I was guessing. Brian seems to approach his designs with a great care for the subject. I don't think humor escapes him but I'm guessing a pun for the title of the game wouldn't be his first choice.

I like VPG a lot. I own and have played many of their titles and have playtested three of their releases, but I can't help but look at that title and shake my head. Seems in poor taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kitchens
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abhoth_ wrote:
navigator37 wrote:

I realize this is tongue in cheek and all, but, nah, I hope it is just you. Why should Friedrich be OK, but not Maria?

They answer is in his statement. Your question is also simply a statement rather than a question. Remove the blinders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thanks (?) for including Hammerin' Sickles on this list.
For the record ...... that title was our in-house working title during development and for the purposes of having some fun. I assumed that GMT would want the title changed - but they did not. They liked it and if it works for them, it works for me. I assume that, in the same vein as Twin Peaks, any title that is unique, stands out and attracts attention to the game is good. It certainly draws more eyes than "The Second Day at Gettysburg" or some such mundane title. And it is relevant to the subject matter - the game is centered on the attack on the Sickles Salient.

In any case, we worked hard on this design and I think it is as unique a take on tactical ACW combat as its title is different. I certainly hope that you will check the game out whether you think the title is stupid, clever or have no opinion either way.

Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.