Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you know guys, Scott Everts keeps inspiring me in my current projects again and again whistle

As it happens, after I saw him starting to work on his Classic Board Graphic Redesign (Old School Edition 3.0) for Merchant of Venus, I started thinking about making a MoV map myself. One of the reasons was that I always wanted to give MoV a try, but for various reasons never got around to either buy the game (I kinda do not like the aged graphics, so this was a no go), or make the then available Dathkadan remake. But that remake was too busy for me (even if it is beautiful as it is) and I could not justify making so many circular tokens and/or finding enough disks to mount them (you might remember I made square tokens for the Dathkadan's redesign, but that stopped there).

Alas, the opportunity to make a map I would like - and foremost to try if I could do it in the first place, as I am not an artist by any stretch - could not be passed on.

I am following Scott through his work and now I am finally in a position to reveal what I made during that time.

The whole file is made as a layered Inkscape document, therefore I am able to edit/change any single feature part without messing other stuff up (and given Inkscape is a vector editor, the resulting file can be scaled indefinitely without losing any quality).

Please, if you can and want to, comment on the overall style, color choice, readability, features etc. Are there any features that could be added to the map over the original design, which could ease up gameplay a bit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply love the look of this map thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Beiswenger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
What do you know guys, Scott Everts keeps inspiring me in my current projects again and again whistle

As it happens, after I saw him starting to work on his Classic Board Graphic Redesign (Old School Edition 3.0) for Merchant of Venus, I started thinking about making a MoV map myself. One of the reasons was that I always wanted to give MoV a try, but for various reasons never got around to either buy the game (I kinda do not like the aged graphics, so this was a no go), or make the then available Dathkadan remake. But that remake was too busy for me (even if it is beautiful as it is) and I could not justify making so many circular tokens and/or finding enough disks to mount them (you might remember I made square tokens for the Dathkadan's redesign, but that stopped there).

Alas, the opportunity to make a map I would like - and foremost to try if I could do it in the first place, as I am not an artist by any stretch - could not be passed on.

I am following Scott through his work and now I am finally in a position to reveal what I made during that time.

The whole file is made as a layered Inkscape document, therefore I am able to edit/change any single feature part without messing other stuff up (and given Inkscape is a vector editor, the resulting file can be scaled indefinitely without losing any quality).

Please, if you can and want to, comment on the overall style, color choice, readability, features etc. Are there any features that could be added to the map over the original design, which could ease up gameplay a bit?

I like the overall look - nice and clean. However the pilot numbers for the Nav circles really need to stand out more.

And of course, the nav circle in the Colony World system is from a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
SkunkyBeer wrote:
However the pilot numbers for the Nav circles really need to stand out more.

Yes, I like it alot but if I had one suggestion, go with the dice symbols for the nav circles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I went with numbers instead of dice in the end is that the navigation circles clutter the map further.

What I can do is to enlarge the numbers further. Believe me, with a real-size board they would not appear that tiny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer having arrows sticking out of the Navigation Circles--then where you must go is crystal clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
I much prefer having arrows sticking out of the Navigation Circles--then where you must go is crystal clear.

IMO I do not see an instance where you could be confused on this map... But correct me if I am wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.