Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm attending (solo) my first convention ever next month ... GenCon. Probably not the best choice for a first con, but I live in Cincinnati so it's close.

I'm going for 2 reasons only, and I have a few stupid questions:

1. I want to buy Rivet Wars promos/exclusives/Kickstarter stuff from Cool Mini or Not. I've emailed the company to get more info, but haven't heard back. My question is this: Does CMON sell non-retail stuff at GenCon or am I wasting my time? If they do sell extra stuff, do I need to make a mad dash for their booth?

2. I want to play games. Specifically, Descent. But all the sessions for Descent, and every other game I'm interested in playing, are sold out. Is Descent something I could play at the open gaming area, or am I dreaming? Are there a lot of gamers in the open gaming area, or is all the action at the scheduled events?

I guess this was 4 questions. Sorry.

Thanks
robbydee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm sure they will be selling what you're looking for. Very rarely does a company ever set up shop in the dealer's hall and NOT sell anything. That's a lot of cost to try and make up if you're not selling anything. A mad dash may be required depending on popularity of the game in question

2. Dude, if you can't find a pick-up game of Descent, you must not be at GenCon Hell, people play it in the games library as well as the open gaming areas. I don't think I would worry about that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Greencastle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Not sure about CMON specifically on special stuff, but some companies offer it. If that is indeed the case, the mad dash never hurts. Should be able to find them on the map before doors open.

2. I assume you are referring to events being sold out. If you just want a demo, you can likely play in the exhibit hall. If you are already an expert and want competition you may be able to find random people to play, but the events were probably best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be roughly 50,000 people at GenCon, and at least a hundred (probably more) in the GenCon Games Library at any given time. I checked the Library, and they have Descent available to check out. If you buy a ticket for the room, pull out Descent, and put up a "PLAYERS WANTED" sign, you should be able to get a game going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome info ... just bought "tickets" to open gaming for 3 days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Schumm
Ireland
Flagmount
County Clare
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbydee wrote:
I'm attending (solo) my first convention ever next month ... GenCon. Probably not the best choice for a first con, but I live in Cincinnati so it's close.

While I'm a big fan of GenCon (and am attending this year), it sounds like you might almost enjoy Origins a little better next time 'round. Origins is held in Columbus-so proximity is good. They have a good dealer hall (even if it's significantly smaller than GenCon's), and I find it's a little more tailored to just days and days of pure gaming experience. People are really friendly, and it's a lot more like being part of a community. It's held in ~May of every year.

GenCon, on the other hand, is a mob experience of people watching, vendors, performances, and craziness. Sure, you can game, but there's SOOOO much else to do, it's kind of a stimulus overload. If you're looking for the hot-ticket releases and to just be part of something huge, GenCon's the right choice for you.

Good luck with your first con experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
All FFG games sell out instantly at GenCon. I've had better luck playing games of Descent and other FFG stuff at Origins. Last year I don't remember them demoing Descent in the dealer hall. It usually is just their new releases. 2 years ago they were demoing Descent, but it was always full. The library is your best bet. Good to hear they have a lot of Descent going on there.

I agree with Katie. If you like GenCon, but want to get into more games and like less of a crowd Origins is worth checking out next year. I usually try to make both, but if I have to choose I go to Origins because I can get more gaming done. GenCon has a lot of new releases though and is the main reason I go. So if the release schedule is awesome I'm more excited about GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I couldn't make Origins. Seems like a better choice. Just hope I can find some game players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be 400-500 people in the library area looking for games at any given point, you should have no problem. Also, ffg has a huge event area, and you can probably get in on a game with generics. FFG has no presence at Origins, and you will have an easier time finding people at Gen Con.

There is a lot more options for gaming at Gen Con, Origins is a snooze fest by comparison. What they really mean by "gaming is easier" at Origins is the crowd is smaller. However, nothing is stopping you from playing games 24 hours a day in the library, vendor hall and other event areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can also go to the gencon forum page and post over there asking if anyones to play the game, set up a time and place with them very easily, also here also, but that is an option to pre-arrange games also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.