Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of questions, most importantly about special encounters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Siahailatua
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi all, a few questions and remarks.

1. How exactly do the special encounter cards come in to play? (with ancient one and tentacles on them) I've played two games and never had to draw one. I'm missing something here.

2. Are you allowed to have a stat of, for example, 6? So one is allowed to roll 6 dice when resOlving a test/combat?

3. Am I allowed to move through an area with monsters on it without fighting them? I think I can but that makes the whole gate/monster problem really small. (besides doomtrack that is)

4. Is the two player setup too easy? Played with two players twice now and won both games comfortably. Could be because of misinterpreted rules though

That is all? Any input is appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siahailatua wrote:

1. How exactly do the special encounter cards come in to play? (with ancient one and tentacles on them) I've played two games and never had to draw one. I'm missing something here.

Some mystery cards will specify this or when the ancient Yog-Sothoth awakens, I believe.

Siahailatua wrote:
2. Are you allowed to have a stat of, for example, 6? So one is allowed to roll 6 dice when resOlving a test/combat?

Yes, you can roll even more than 6 dice. You can't improve a skill more than twice, but you can have other effects that make you roll more dice.

Siahailatua wrote:
3. Am I allowed to move through an area with monsters on it without fighting them? I think I can but that makes the whole gate/monster problem really small. (besides doomtrack that is)

Yes, you don't need to stop. Some monsters have really annoying reckoning effects and gates can really ramp up. Shub-Niggurath also makes monsters a real problem.

Siahailatua wrote:
4. Is the two player setup too easy? Played with two players twice now and won both games comfortably. Could be because of misinterpreted rules though

Not really the easiest. Playing with four is the easiest. Did you win against Cthulhu with relative ease? If so, then you're probably playing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siahailatua wrote:

Mysteries put them into play. If you haven't seen them, it's not a problem.

Quote:

Yup, sure. Mark Harrigan (4 str) with 2 str improvements (additional 2 str) and the Lightning Gun (+6 str) would roll 12 dice on base combat tests.

Quote:

Yup. They will still protect gates to advance doom, and might have Reckoning effects, but they don't stop you.

Quote:

2p isn't super-difficult. If you find it too easy, try playing with the Easy mythos cards removed. Unless you have the expansion, that should tune the difficulty up nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Siahailatua wrote:

Do you mean the cards that are sometimes instructed on an Ancient One sheet to be "put aside"? They are usually drawn via a specific Mystery card, or after the AO awakens.

Quote:

Yes, there is no limit to the number of dice (you are not restricted to those that come with the game). The only limitation is that you may not stack attribute bonuses.

Quote:

Yes, but that's like saying "it doesn't present a problem except causing you to lose."

Quote:

That is all? Any input is appreciated!

Generally, 1-2 players is considered harder than 3-4. Not sure about higher player counts (I think most people are not crazy enough to play with more than 6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Siahailatua
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies guys, really helpfull!! I also start to think that perhaps I got lucky these first games with the mythos deck.

Perhaps I'll take the blue ones out next time.

Also going to order the expansion, can't wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Rutjens
Netherlands
Nuenen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You must have been extremely lucky with the draw and the dice.

Our first 7 games were with 2 investigators and we lost all of them! The first two we were learning the game so that is not so bad. The other 5 game sessions we lost desperately. In one of them we solved the 3 mysteries but the last mythos card showed doom for us!

Sometimes the cards are against us, sometimes the dice. But in most games they are both against us.
But we love the game and someday we will have victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Siahailatua
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Small update

Yesterday we fought Shub. And with fought i mean bend over and just take it. Oh man, we never had a chance and completely got ripped apart. Investigators died and went insane so fast that it actually got a bit funny to see. At one point we gave Charlie everything we had to finish that @€&$#% bastard Nug and... Charlie died in one blow.

So no, this game is NOT easy haha

We did have a lot of fun though as usual!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.