9 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Variants

Subject: Campaign mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Grizz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've posted this on the Netrunner subreddit but thought I'd cross-post it here in case anyone else is interested. I just thought of a variant game type for Netrunner and want to get some community feedback on it. The goal is to make a game type for me and my girlfriend to play which will keep the game a bit more fresh. It's intended to be different from regular Netrunner - some decks may not be effective that ordinarily are, some cards may be a lot more or less powerful than usual. Inherently this isn't a problem, but if there are glaring errors like "There is a dominant strategy, just to X and you're unbeatable", I'd like to know!

So, here's the rules:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial setup:

One player is Corp, the other is Runner. Each chooses a Faction to play as (these will be constant for the duration of the campaign). Each player builds an initial deck using that faction’s Core identity.

Initial decks are Core only, 0 influence. All other rules of deckbuilding apply. After initial decks are built, max influence allowed is as usual (defined by your identity) - so you can add cards from out-of-faction by buying them with SP (explained below). Your available cardpool is Core set only at the start of the campaign - this can be expanded by spending SP as explained below.

Set an amount of VPs required to win the campaign - I suggest 10.

Play a match using all normal Netrunner rules. The winner of this match gets 1 Victory Point (VP) and 1 Spending Point (SP), the loser gets 0 VPs and 3 SPs.

Between matches:

Between matches, players can spend SP on the following things:

1 SP - Add up to 3 cards and remove up to 3 cards from your deck, from/to your available cardpool, respecting deckbuilding rules.

1 SP - Unlock a datapack to add to your available cardpool for the rest of the campaign.

3 SP - Unlock an in-faction expansion to add to your available cardpool for the rest of the campaign. Honor and Profit is in-faction for Jinteki and Criminal, Creation and Control is in-faction for Haas-Bioroid and Shaper.

1 SP - Unlock an out-of-faction expansion to add to your available cardpool for the rest of the campaign.

1 SP - Swap your identity with another identity of the same faction from your available cardpool.

Deck changes should be kept secret from your opponent, but should be logged in secret to ensure nobody cheats!

The first player to reach the required number of VPs wins the campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you wanted to, you could start the campaign off with a few SPs each so you can start with a non-Core identity or some influence spent. This could be asymmetric if you find one player is consistently stronger than the other. The number of VPs required to win can be increased or lowered to lengthen or shorten the duration of the campaign. Each VP equates to +1-2 matches being played (10 VPs is a campaign of between 10 and 19 matches).

I was also thinking of adding a new way of spending SP, but not sure of if it'd be good for the game or bad:

3 SP - Force your opponent to remove all copies of a single card from their deck - this card is now banned for the rest of the campaign. Your opponent may replace these cards with other cards from their available cardpool (respecting all deckbuilding requirements).

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT 1: /u/Razalhague has suggested some changes to the above to change the relative balance of SP (other than the in/out of faction change for Expansions which I've added to the base rules because it's clearly better than my previous way). These are:

New SP spending rules

1 SP - Add up to 5 cards to your deck, from your available cardpool.

1 SP - Remove up to 5 cards from your deck, to your available cardpool.

Change to SP per match - The winner gets 1 VP and 2 SPs, the loser gets 0 VPs and 4 SPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I was thinking of something like this, only for an entire league. Only problem I see is that it might actually be advantageous to start out with a sub-optimal deck and grow it into an established archetype as quickly as possible through early losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Grande
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a cool idea, although when I read the post title I thought about a "story driven Android: Netrunner campaign system". This will need more players. Players will represent factions. If a runner ID gets flatlined he or she can't be played again. There will be thematic matches (matches that start at some point of the game, for example, the corp has already scored some agenda or has some assets or some ice), some kind of corp. battle for expansion, runners developing programs and things like that, corps paying runners to steal other corps agendas... Too much work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A pair of my friends did this, but basically they'd add in a data pack each step of the way, allowing the deck to change with the data pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I would like to do this with someone on OCTGN, and test it out. This sounds great. I love LCGs, but I really miss the collectible aspect of CCGs. This would be a great way to go with that.

I am serious. Please let me know if you want to try this. Post here or PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I came on today to post my idea to do almost exactly this very thing! I'm glad to have discovered your ideas.

Have you played it yet? Any feedback on what works or doesn't work?

My initial plan was very similar. Here's what my idea was:

1. Each player builds a valid runner AND a valid corp deck using standard deck building rules but using agreed upon cardpool limits based on what sets you and your partner both have access to. It should be fair for both people. Players may choose to voluntarily limit starting card pool to make deckbuilding more challenging or fun. Optionally, the opponent may choose one or both identity/corp cards for the other player, thereby adding an additional challenge to build competitive decks that may be outside ones comfort zone.
2. Play a game using normal NR rules.
3. Winners and losers get to modify their decks AND their opponents decks. My ideas here were not well developed so I will suggest using the rules proposed by the OP and the subsequent follow up posts including spending SP to remove all copies of a card from an opponents deck and the win=1vp&2SP, lose=0vp&4SP
4. My idea also included a desire to create a campaign like this for each new cycle that comes out. Starting ID/corp would be from the first pack in a cycle and then would somehow evolve to incorporate new packs as the cycle develops. I haven't fleshed this out. So for now I wouldn't even use it.

If anyone wants to give this a try, I'd be willing to text to develop it. I'd also enjoy playtesting via webcam games (aim the cam at your tableau). This works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
I was thinking of something like this, only for an entire league. Only problem I see is that it might actually be advantageous to start out with a sub-optimal deck and grow it into an established archetype as quickly as possible through early losses.

I see your point. However, by including the option to spend SP to remove cards from an opponents deck, decks would change quite a bit I'd think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:
I came on today to post my idea to do almost exactly this very thing! I'm glad to have discovered your ideas.

Have you played it yet? Any feedback on what works or doesn't work?

My initial plan was very similar. Here's what my idea was:

1. Each player builds a valid runner AND a valid corp deck using standard deck building rules but using agreed upon cardpool limits based on what sets you and your partner both have access to. It should be fair for both people. Players may choose to voluntarily limit starting card pool to make deckbuilding more challenging or fun. Optionally, the opponent may choose one or both identity/corp cards for the other player, thereby adding an additional challenge to build competitive decks that may be outside ones comfort zone.
2. Play a game using normal NR rules.
3. Winners and losers get to modify their decks AND their opponents decks. My ideas here were not well developed so I will suggest using the rules proposed by the OP and the subsequent follow up posts including spending SP to remove all copies of a card from an opponents deck and the win=1vp&2SP, lose=0vp&4SP
4. My idea also included a desire to create a campaign like this for each new cycle that comes out. Starting ID/corp would be from the first pack in a cycle and then would somehow evolve to incorporate new packs as the cycle develops. I haven't fleshed this out. So for now I wouldn't even use it.

If anyone wants to give this a try, I'd be willing to text to develop it. I'd also enjoy playtesting via webcam games (aim the cam at your tableau). This works really well.

This thread is almost 2 years old, and since then a Campaign expansion of Netrunner has been planned and is scheduled for release early next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
True, but the legacy style campaign that FFG is making is quite different as it will utilize some form of player boards which will add new game mechanics beyond the actual NR core rules.

I'd like to reboot this idea for a casual campaign system that uses anyone's existing card pool and will create deckbuilding challenges WITHOUT introducing new custom components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.