14 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » General

Subject: Question about two players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Chappell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of gaming right now happens with the wife. I see that the game has poll voters for two players, but what is the general consensus on playing with that many players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works and there's the added satisfaction of being able to complete more quests than usual. Though of course it won't get as antagonistic with just 2 players that are pretty free to choose whichever spot they like as it will be with 3 or more players.

But it works and is still fun, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun with two players. Not as much fun as 3+, in my experience, but certainly an enjoyable experience. It's far more forgiving as there's less competition for any given position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Less conflict with 2-players, but that can be good if that's what you want. Usually, when playing with only 2 players with LofW, I feel as if accomplished more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
We prefer lower conflict games... LoW works really well for us as a 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Works perfectly fine. One of my girlfriend's favorite games to bring out. If you get the expansion, I would suggest removing from the game the "Open Lord" and "Blackmail" cards or any other cards that make a hidden lord known. It's best when they are hidden until the very end, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigger scores in a two player game, and it gets crazy in the expansion...I hit over 250 points in one game.

My wife and I have tons of fun playing each other.

We take out mandatory quests (and open lord in the expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it out with the mandatory quests first though. I know some don't like it but it has a mischievous quality to it and it doesn't really set the opponent that far anyway. In our last game, I played 5 mandatory quests on to my girlfriend and I only won by like four points, meaning that I would have lost if I had held back once. She didn't get any mandatory quests of her own to throw at me at any moment during the game, which was quite funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
My lover and I enjoy playing this together. Better with 3+ but definitely enjoyable with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play without Mandatory Quests. She likes games that are more cooperative and less competitive. I like playing with two players, as you get to assign more agents.

"And while the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still. It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murtagh
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My wife and I play it a lot, and it works very well as a two-player game. We took out the mandatory quests. Besides the whole attacking thing, the problem with mandatory quests in a two-player game is that they are not able to be used for their actual purpose (at least as I understand their purpose). Since it is two-players, each plays it on their opponent, rather than the purpose of multiple players slowing down the person in the lead. Sooooo 2-player good, mandatory quest for 2-player bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Chappell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, looks like a game I'm safe to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can some people comment on this game with five players? Is it still about 45min runtime? Does it scale well? Is the downtime still low?

Is it still fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Cantwell

Central Point
Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game with 5 players about once every month. All the players are pretty familiar with the game and it takes us about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Though we do talk and poke fun at each other. 5 players is great fun! I dont think 5 players can play this in 45 minutes though. Just my experience though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.