Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 2014 Dice comp I thought I'd give it a bash, because, full disclaimer - I HATE DICE Warhammer and Elder Signs puts me to sleep.

So this would be a cool challenge for me

What I want to experiment with is a shared pool of dice. I know some games have it but I'm not familiar with them What I want to experiment with:

1. Shared pool of dice, representing a black market of sorts. Each turn a number of dice is rolled in the market, and players spend resources to get one or more of those dice faces, without changing the face facing up. For example if there are six dice rolled, and there are three peasants, one knight and one elephant, the buying player can spend one gold to get two peasants, or two gold for a knight, or whatever.

2. Deploying your own dice into the market: Each player has their own faction, and they have their own colour of dice, so the player would "bet" their own dice into the market... I haven't thought further than that yet, but I'd like there to be a bit of a balance between pushing all your units into the market at once versus choosing them carefully, becuase the opponent would also be able to get them.

3. Dexterity! A canon is a dice that sits on another dice, and you'd fire it by flicking your finger. Whatever it strikes is hit, if things fly off the playing space it's considered scrapped and add to the wealth of the opponent. Something like that. Also dropping the dice from a height, and... Well, I don't actually know. I thought of blowing a dice from a straw but it's not really much different from flicking with finger.

4. Factions - as mentioned above - would be composed of dice that have different attributes and abilities. Not sure how this would work yet...

5. The game could end up having too many dice, with something like 10/20 dice per "army"... Is that "way" too much? I'm just happy I found these for cheap:

Any input would be welcome as I experiment with these concepts ^^ Will post a WIP when... When there's something to post XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
I didn't catch how many players you were planning on having, but yes, 10-20 dice per player is way too much IMO. I would say as a general good soft limit, an entire game should be limited to around 10 dice. A lot of times in games the amount of dice can be reduced by having players share some common dice. In your game, if you had 20 dice per player and 4 players you would be talking about 80 dice. Just think about the shipping alone for that let alone the cost to make the dice.
-Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drew_d2 wrote:
I didn't catch how many players you were planning on having, but yes, 10-20 dice per player is way too much IMO. I would say as a general good soft limit, an entire game should be limited to around 10 dice. A lot of times in games the amount of dice can be reduced by having players share some common dice. In your game, if you had 20 dice per player and 4 players you would be talking about 80 dice. Just think about the shipping alone for that let alone the cost to make the dice.
-Drew

Thanks for the advice! Is dice really that insane? I mean games like Quarriors! exist... But of course I'm not pretending that I have the clout to pull off a game like that commercially, but right now I'm really just tossing ideas around...

Oh and as for player number, it depends on how the board pans out, but yes that's a lot of dice. A lot.

I'll definitely try to keep that in mind for in case I make an amazing game

I wonder how much custom dice is to make in bulk. I saw that Custom Dice kickstarter but they have been quiet for a while... And that maxed at $140 for 100 die... Hey, they're cheaper than Chessex!

Chessex's page:

Pricing:

10-25 dice: $1.00 per side
26-99 dice: $0.75 per side
100-199 dice: $0.60 per side
200-499 dice: $0.50 per side
500-999 dice: $0.42 per side
1000+: please ask for quotes

---------------------
Yeah that looks insanely expensive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
If you look in the right places you can get custom dice for 20 to 40 cents per die for a big run. It depends what kind of custom dice you are using, but just to set it up runs over $1000 usually, so you need a pretty big run to make it worth it. There are things like sticker dice that don't have the big initial setup but will cost more per die for less quality so they are better for small runs. I hope that gives you some sort of idea. I don't want to give too specific of numbers I've seen because every place is different and all the methods are different. Each method has it's own benefit.
-Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drew_d2 wrote:
If you look in the right places you can get custom dice for 20 to 40 cents per die for a big run. It depends what kind of custom dice you are using, but just to set it up runs over $1000 usually, so you need a pretty big run to make it worth it. There are things like sticker dice that don't have the big initial setup but will cost more per die for less quality so they are better for small runs. I hope that gives you some sort of idea. I don't want to give too specific of numbers I've seen because every place is different and all the methods are different. Each method has it's own benefit.
-Drew

Thanks for the info in any case, I'll definitely keep this in mind as I design, but I really want to experiment with the idea of using a bunch of dice... But not as dice, as playing pieces... That's selected by rolling intially, if you know what I mean!

Will get more into mechanics soon, as I write rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.