Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After punching out all of the tiles they had little notches on them from where they were attached. I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually took the time to file these down with a nail filer so the edges are nice and smooth to look more attractive. Took me about 45 minutes to do it before my first playthrough last night.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who cares that much about aesthetics. But this game is simply amazing, and I figured if it was here to stay why not make it look more polished? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing to be ashamed of IMO. I often cover the edges of cardboard tokens and tiles with a black marker. They look more elegant that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blazur wrote:
After punching out all of the tiles they had little notches on them from where they were attached. I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually took the time to file these down with a nail filer so the edges are nice and smooth to look more attractive. Took me about 45 minutes to do it before my first playthrough last night.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who cares that much about aesthetics. But this game is simply amazing, and I figured if it was here to stay why not make it look more polished? blush

This game is most definitely worthy of a deluxe edition, but I have never thought to file the tile edges to improve things! I often take a scalpel to cardboard that didn't punch out well though. I guess we both have different tools to hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Svartisen wrote:
Nothing to be ashamed of IMO. I often cover the edges of cardboard tokens and tiles with a black marker. They look more elegant that way.

This trick will also make it harder to cheat by glancing at the goods tile stacks, since their colors bleed onto the edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:

Sounds like a neat idea. May I trouble you for a picture to demonstrate how they look?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blazur wrote:
Svartisen wrote:

Sounds like a neat idea. May I trouble you for a picture to demonstrate how they look?

Sorry for the delay. Here you are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone, I did this too. I used a soft fingernail buffer. I do this with the components of many of my games, using the appropriate tool. I also clip the counters of my war games (and of some of the square components of Firefly: The Game). If you want to explore this habit further, read the threads on clipping counter corners in the Wargame forums. Some of those folks take the behavior to a different level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ursus_Major wrote:
I used a soft fingernail buffer.

That's exactly what I used too, the little file that comes on nail clippers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Ursus_Major wrote:
Some of those folks take the behavior to a different level.

I think of it as a sub-hobby... How to clip your counters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blazur wrote:
Ursus_Major wrote:
I used a soft fingernail buffer.

That's exactly what I used too, the little file that comes on nail clippers.

That's a file, not a buffer. A buffer is soft and typically has a number of different grit of sanding surfaces available. Mine is similar to this:

I wouldn't use a file, as doing so may more easily damage the components. But, folks and strokes, as they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ursus_Major wrote:

That's a file, not a buffer. A buffer is soft and typically has a number of different grit of sanding surfaces available. Mine is similar to this:

Ah, thanks for the suggestion. I'll seek one of those out for future game component cleanup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
token token
msg tools
+1000 to a deluxe edition!!!
Any idea if that is going to happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.