Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've note the following under subsection "11.3 Resolving Fire" under the "11.0 Missile Fire" section.

"Angle of Fire: Missile Fire aimed at Medium or Light Cavalry
through the latter’s Flank hexsides earns the firing unit a +1 DRM.
Fire that passes down a hex spine does not count as Flank. This
reflects firing at the easier-to-hit, unprotected flanks of the horses.
"

My question is: Does this mean it's possible for an archery/crossbowmen/javelin unit to get an angled fire DRM bonus during reaction fire against a MC or LC unit that ends up in one of its ZOC hexes with its flank facing the missile unit? Or in other words, ends up facing a hex spline that's at 60 degrees and not parallel to the hex spline the missile unit is facing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools

You mean like this? If so, yes.

What the note about hex spines means is that fire passing from what would be hex 4517 (two to the right of the Crusader MA unit) would not qualify, as it passes down the hex spine. It is about the hex spines leading into the target hex, no matter the facing of the firing unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Ralph; really appreciate you taking the effort to provide a picture. Yes that's what I meant. I'm not sure I understand why an attack from hex 4517 also wouldn't count for the bonus, athough I do see where the rule would apply in that situation. It seems the rule is intended to prevent ranged units firing from 2 hexes from getting the angled bonus, but I'm not seeing the rationale for that.

I do realize that an archery unit 2 hexes away that's facing the same direction as the MC/LC unit and lined up with their flank (in hex 4617 in your picture) could get the angled bonus if they fire from their flank side. I must be missing something though, as I don't see how that should be any different from a unit 2 hexes away that's facing the MC/LCs flank. I could certainly see a unit in between the attacker and MC/LC unit preventing the bonus, as that would require them to fire in an arc over the friendly units heads. It can't be due to velocity when firing at max range, as that's already taken into consideration with the -1 DRM for archers and -2 DRM for crossbowmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
We decided to keep it simple and give the horsemen the benefit of the doubt when determining the flanks. We could just as easily have ruled that fire down the hex spines into the hex counted for the Flanking Fire DRM as well, but that meant that a lot of hexes qualified. This way, you clearly have to be to the flank of the cavalry to get the DRM.

Yes, the facing of the firing unit never matters, as long as the target is in their arc of fire there is no difference. It is about the unprotected sides of the horses being a larger and more vulnerable target than front and rear of the horses. This is why the bonus does not apply against HC or Knights with their armored horses, even from the flank where the horse has a larger profile to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
revnye wrote:
We decided to keep it simple and give the horsemen the benefit of the doubt when determining the flanks. We could just as easily have ruled that fire down the hex spines into the hex counted for the Flanking Fire DRM as well, but that meant that a lot of hexes qualified. This way, you clearly have to be to the flank of the cavalry to get the DRM.

That makes sense. I can certainly see where no restrictions would make MC and LC too vulnerable whenever archery or crossbowmen units are within long range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.