Subject: Are there any expansions you are currently wanting to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes you want to buy an expansion? The success of the base game or awesome new mechanics / components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Greater variety in gameplay enhancing a game I already enjoy.

Mage Wars - new spells and new mages
X-Wing - New ships and upgrades
Marvel Legendary - New heroes and villains

Of course those are all what I would call horizontal expansions, allowing more breadth, but not changing depth. I am far more hesitant on expansions that touch depth, which can fundamentally change gameplay. It seems the sorts of games I typically play put out the former rather than the latter. That's probably because the former is more straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Tacos, Tacos, Yum, Yum, Yum. Tacos, Tacos, something that rhymes with dumb.
badge
SHH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
coopasonic hit the nail on the head. I concur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Trepanier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to buy the first Eldritch Horror expansion. I've already come across some cards multiple times, and it's only been 3 plays. Can't wait to add to the awesome game.

Game of Thrones the board game : Feast for Crows. Love the ability to have a setup for a 4p game if I can't get 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON - more fighters!
Battlestations - more ship modules! more missions!
Blood Bowl Team Manager - more teams!
HeroClix - more batman! more x-men!
Mage Wars - more mages! more spells!
Marvel Dice Masters - more x-men!
Netrunner - more ice! more ice breakers!
Sentinels of the multiverse - more heroes! more villains! more environments!
Star Trek Attack Wing - more ships! more upgrades!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son of Burrito Bean III
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion for Terra Mystica! Can't wait for this to come out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Zombicide season 3 and the new mice and mystics expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like coopasonic, I like it when expansions offer increased variety of existing game elements and/or those that add elements that offer more options without changing the core engine of the game.

The expansions I'm currently itching to get my hands on:

Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Dominion (Oh yeah! SO looking forward to this!)
X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Phantom
...and anything for Summoner Wars that I haven't yet bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caleb G.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get many expansions, but I usually buy them if I really like the base game. The ones I want now are:

Agricola: ACBaS even more buildings
Rivals for catan: Age of Enlightenment
Bruges: Die Stadt am Zwin
Dominion: cornucopia and Dark Ages

Obviously I don't keep up with expansions because most that I want aren't new

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie (Juju) B.
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can't wait to get a hold of 7 Wonders: Babel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander K
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain: Escalation - my little, medium and big black ships will be useful finally!

After watching some videos, that looks really good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When the base game is limited Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures GameStar Trek: Attack Wing

3 Ships are nice, but that's hardly a space worthy of the Star Wars or Star Trek name

So in this case expansions (extra ships) are pretty much a necessity

2. To add more content to the core game Magic: The GatheringBattletech Introductory Box Set same rules just adding more variety, more cards, more mechs, etc

3. To add not only new content but new rules as well Castle PanicCastle Panic: The Wizard's Tower

4. Sometimes just to have everything that goes with the game,whether it makes it to the table or not Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Reaper ExpansionTalisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Frostmarch ExpansionTalisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Highland ExpansionTalisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Dragon ExpansionTalisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Sacred Pool ExpansionTalisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Blood Moon Expansion can't stop buying..........

5. When you can combine them into one epic battle BattleTechBattleTech: AeroTechBattleTech: CityTechBattleTech: Battletroops or anyone ever combine all the renegade legion games together?Renegade Legion: Leviathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddbarker wrote:
What makes you want to buy an expansion? The success of the base game or awesome new mechanics / components?

Star Trek: Fleet Captains - Dominion faction is coming out. The models are a big plus, but the main draw is variety of factions. Oh the missed potential for this game. It makes me wonder who is in charge of this game, and why our only support is one expansion about every 15 months.

Progress: Evolution of Technology - Undead Viking had this one spot on, it is a card game about the technology tree development of the computer Civilization game. My wife and I love it, but I really want more. They have talked about adding Age V, VI, and maybe even VII cards. They also are talking about adding political and military technologies on to the existing engineering, cultural, and scientific technologies. A wider and deeper tree? Heck yeah! Even better was the print and play support. Only $5 for only pnp, all kickstarter tiers included pnp files. The community asked for science, engineering, and cultural tokens to be made into cards, and they did it. A fan changed their 2x4 card layout (one column fronts, one column backs) into a 3x3 layout of all fronts and all backs - and they graciously posted them for others to use. Their communication was excellent and the pnp files were out quickly. I can't wait for my FLGS to get a physical copy, as I will buy it and back this company! I was so impressed with NSKN Games that I filled out a Coolstuff Inc order with Warriors and Traders for free shipping - just because I want to support that company.

Pandemic - I already bought two expansion. My wife loves it. To me On the Brink was essential, it takes the static almost unchanging play of the base game and adds setup variety. In the Lab is not essential, but I can't see going back to the less thematic and cooperative way of getting cures. However, I am very upset that Z-Man release 2E right before the second expansion. They offered upgrade kits, but I wondered why they didn't offer legacy kits also. I would probably buy expansions that come out as this is my wife's favorite game, but ever since they burned me in the update I have found myself on several occasions looking at a game and putting it back because it was by Z-man Games.

Eldritch Horror - more foes, more unique cards. How I hope they will make Act I, II, and III mystery and mythos cards, or add unique assets and artifacts (and expedition and city location and so on) cards for each enemy to make the narrative even stronger.

**TL;DR** - Does your expansion add variety or deepen meaningful decision? Then I'll probably buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Ledoux
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expanding the variety and replayability of a gaming experience I already love. To that end, I cannot wait to get my hands on Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1). Can't wait, cant wait, can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Argiro
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls since it was announced... Someday I'll not be stuck playing the overlord!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought the expansion to Las Vegas called Las Vegas Boulevard. Best expansion I ever bought. Turns a decent game into a really good one with a variety of completely new ways to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) pretty much all the expansions.............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Jander78 wrote:
I've been waiting for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls since it was announced... Someday I'll not be stuck playing the overlord!

but being the Overlord is the best part

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Fighter: Fire at Will and Dungeon Fighter: The Big Wave

But at $20-$30 each, I'm a bit wary. I'm of the disposition that the base game plays just fine. I would have preferred smaller $10 expansions, especially because they plan to do 4.

Dungeon Fighter is a great game but its not a $120 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will auto buy any expansion that increases the player count up towards at least 6. In fact I mostly buy 6p or sometimes 5p now. I have too many brilliant 4p games that just never get played because of the player numbers.

I will also always buy 'breadth' enhancing expansions, but look more closely at 'depth' enhancing ones.

I would much rather buy expansions to games I love than new games. To be honest I'm at the stage that if I never bought a new game it would be fine, I have too many. Expansions to ones we love I'd happily get lots more of though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.