Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at this period of history with the aim of building a COIN game about it.

I've got Keep Up The Fire! (which seems a little biased in portrayal, but we'll see) and The Boxers, China, and the World, which is a bit better but still very sparse. Even the historical maps are low on detail (though I've got one that supposedly has good rail information), which is making progress slow.

Any suggestions for good reading about this period (late 1800s and early 1900s China)? Now that Rome is coming, I feel like my "pre-1960s COIN" concept is getting stale fast.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Summary:
. Currently a small-deck COIN game, with 48 cards.
. Propaganda cards are "droughts", as the game covers a period larger than just the legations siege.

. Factions are:
--> the Boxers in red (irregulars)
--> the Qing in yellow (regulars)
--> the 8 Nation Alliance in blue (regulars)
--> the Catholics in brown (irregulars)
--> (I'm waffling about rolling the Catholics into the 8NA and using Russia as the fourth faction instead.)

. The Qing's victory condition depends on which direction they're leaning:
--> instead of support/opposition, provinces push either progressive (from Catholic influence) or traditional (from Boxer influence).
--> The Qing player may switch sides at the end of a Drought card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No recommendations, but it sounds interesting to me. I'd love to see a COIN-style game on this period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a National Geographic from February 1901, but it's so heavily European-biased as to be potentially useless. :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
msg tools
mb
There's "A Brief History of the Boxer Rebellion" by Diana Preston. This was OK - certainly a lot of information in there. It lacks much from the Chinese point of view (or points of view, really) - the book admits as much. It seems there's not much documentary evidence left that would allow that perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NightComesIn wrote:
There's "A Brief History of the Boxer Rebellion" by Diana Preston. This was OK - certainly a lot of information in there. It lacks much from the Chinese point of view (or points of view, really) - the book admits as much. It seems there's not much documentary evidence left that would allow that perspective.

Many thanks. That's the biggest problem I'm finding -- lack of [relevant, timely] Chinese perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try The Origins of the Boxer Uprising by Joseph W. Esherick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
Try The Origins of the Boxer Uprising by Joseph W. Esherick

Perfect -- confirms what I've been thinking about the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Constantelos
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might do the trick:

http://www.jhuapl.edu/ourwork/nsa/papers/China%20ReliefSm.pd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.