Subject: Another Port/Bridge/Road Clarification Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Gercken
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New player here --really enjoying the game.

However, despite reading all of the previous posts regarding the use of the port/bridge/road there are still a few things that confuse me.

First, let's say I use my own Level II Bridge. The result is to "copy the effect" of a building of any color (occupied or unoccupied) in another player's district. So, let's say I wanted to "copy the effect" of another player's Level I Port. My basic question is whether I'm considered to be "copying the effect" of the Port as if it's in MY district, or "copying the effect" as if it's in the OTHER district. I would conclude from the answers given in previous threads that it's the latter, and therefore that I would be able to use that Level I Port to then "copy the effect" of my own unoccupied yellow buildings -- i.e., because the effect of the Port is to allow me to use an unoccupied building in ANOTHER PLAYER's district, and so the only way it makes sense to be able to use the Port to then "copy the effct" of one of my own unoccupied yellow buildings is if the effect of the Port that is being copied by using the Bridge is nevertheless considered to be resolved as if it were triggered in the other district rather than my own. Is that the correct intepretation?

Second, continuing with that same example, let's say that I've got a Level I Prior in the same row/column as the activated Bridge. I'd get 2 denier from the Prior for activating the Bridge, and I would NOT get the benefit of activating any character in the row/column of the Port in the other district that I copied. Correct?

Third, what if I have a Level I Journeyman in the same row/column of my activated Bridge. Does he pay me 1 denier when I use the Bridge to "copy the effect" of a (yellow) Port? I assume the answer must be no if the Port, when it resolves, is considered to resolve from its own district even if its effect is being "copied" by the Bridge (i.e., which is in the same row/column as the Journeyman). Or maybe the answer is that the Journeyman doesn't get triggered because the Port is not considered to be "activated", regardless of which district it is considered to be in for purposes of resolving its effect.

Finally, what if that Journeyman is in the same row/column of the unoccupied yellow building in my own district that I "copy the effect" of by using that Port in the other district? Would the Journeyman pay me 1 denier in that circumstance? As above, is the answer no since I am not "activating" that building, but merely using the Port to copy its effect?

This may be tl;dr, but any enlightenment would be welcomed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kgercken wrote:

First, let's say I use my own Level II Bridge. The result is to "copy the effect" of a building of any color (occupied or unoccupied) in another player's district. So, let's say I wanted to "copy the effect" of another player's Level I Port. My basic question is whether I'm considered to be "copying the effect" of the Port as if it's in MY district, or "copying the effect" as if it's in the OTHER district. I would conclude from the answers given in previous threads that it's the latter, and therefore that I would be able to use that Level I Port to then "copy the effect" of my own unoccupied yellow buildings -- i.e., because the effect of the Port is to allow me to use an unoccupied building in ANOTHER PLAYER's district, and so the only way it makes sense to be able to use the Port to then "copy the effct" of one of my own unoccupied yellow buildings is if the effect of the Port that is being copied by using the Bridge is nevertheless considered to be resolved as if it were triggered in the other district rather than my own. Is that the correct intepretation?

That's how I play.

kgercken wrote:

Second, continuing with that same example, let's say that I've got a Level I Prior in the same row/column as the activated Bridge. I'd get 2 denier from the Prior for activating the Bridge, and I would NOT get the benefit of activating any character in the row/column of the Port in the other district that I copied. Correct?

Yes

kgercken wrote:

Third, what if I have a Level I Journeyman in the same row/column of my activated Bridge. Does he pay me 1 denier when I use the Bridge to "copy the effect" of a (yellow) Port? I assume the answer must be no if the Port, when it resolves, is considered to resolve from its own district even if its effect is being "copied" by the Bridge (i.e., which is in the same row/column as the Journeyman). Or maybe the answer is that the Journeyman doesn't get triggered because the Port is not considered to be "activated", regardless of which district it is considered to be in for purposes of resolving its effect.

Activating your Bridge triggers the Journeyman's 1 denier. Nothing else here would. Journeyman does not depend on color BTW.

kgercken wrote:

Finally, what if that Journeyman is in the same row/column of the unoccupied yellow building in my own district that I "copy the effect" of by using that Port in the other district? Would the Journeyman pay me 1 denier in that circumstance? As above, is the answer no since I am not "activating" that building, but merely using the Port to copy its effect?

I say the answer is 'no' as you are only activating your Bridge. No other card is activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kgercken wrote:
Let's say I use my own Level II Bridge. The result is to "copy the effect" of a building of any color (occupied or unoccupied) in another player's district. So, let's say I wanted to "copy the effect" of another player's Level I Port. My basic question is whether I'm considered to be "copying the effect" of the Port as if it's in MY district, or "copying the effect" as if it's in the OTHER district. I would conclude from the answers given in previous threads that it's the latter, and therefore that I would be able to use that Level I Port to then "copy the effect" of my own unoccupied yellow buildings -- i.e., because the effect of the Port is to allow me to use an unoccupied building in ANOTHER PLAYER's district, and so the only way it makes sense to be able to use the Port to then "copy the effect" of one of my own unoccupied yellow buildings is if the effect of the Port that is being copied by using the Bridge is nevertheless considered to be resolved as if it were triggered in the other district rather than my own. Is that the correct interpretation?

Yes. I explained something like that in this post. One of the designers confirmed the principle here.

kgercken wrote:

That is correct. You did not activate the other player's Port. You activated your own Bridge and doing so copied the effects of the other player's Port. Look at this thread.

kgercken wrote:

I'm confused here.

As I understand it, it is your Journeyman in the same row/column as your Bridge. Only the copied Port is another district (and hence another row/column).

You activated your own Bridge. The Bridge is in the same row/column as your Journeyman. The Journeyman's ability is "Activating a building (of any color) in the same row/column gives 1 denier." The bridge is in the same row/column, so you get 1 denier.

kgercken wrote:

That is correct (i.e., the answer is "no"). You did not activate your own Yellow building (e.g., Market). You activated your Bridge, which copied the effect of the other player's Port, which copied the effect of your own Market. The Journeyman pays 1 denier only if it is in the same row/column as the Bridge. If it is the same row/column as the Market but not the Bridge, it does not pay.

It is always the case that the only building being activated is the one in your own district on which you placed a citizen.

What may be confusing is that the abilities of other players' buildings are defined based on their being in their own districts.

Suppose that there are players A, B, and C. A has Bridge II and B has Bridge I. The ability of Bridge II is to copy buildings in districts B and C (because it is in district A). The ability of Bridge I is to copy unoccupied buildings in districts A and C (because it is in district B).

When you (player A) activate Bridge II, you can use its ability. You decide to copy Bridge I in district B; doing so is in the scope of Bridge II's ability. The copied the ability of Bridge I is to copy a building in district A or C. You can thus use it to copy a building in your own district!

What is less clear is the following. The power of Tollbooth is to gain 1 denier for each occupied space in your district. If Tollboth is in district C and you (player A) use your Bridge II to copy Tollboth, you are paid 1 denier for each occupied space in district A! (Even though Tollboth is in district C.) I know that that doesn't seem consistent with the earlier discussion - but one of the designers confirmed it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Gercken
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
What may be confusing is that the abilities of other players' buildings are defined based on their being in their own districts.

That's exactly what was confusing me.

qillum wrote:
What is less clear is the following. The power of Tollbooth is to gain 1 denier for each occupied space in your district. If Tollboth is in district C and you (player A) use your Bridge II to copy Tollboth, you are paid 1 denier for each occupied space in district A! (Even though Tollboth is in district C.) I know that that doesn't seem consistent with the earlier discussion - but one of the designers confirmed it here.

Thanks mentioning the Tollbooth -- I should have thought of that in my original post. It seems like the logic of how the Tollbooth's effect is resolved when it is "copied" is the complete opposite (in this respect) of how the "copy" effect of the Port/Bridge/Road works. That makes it a little hard to remember on the fly how all this is supposed to work, but hopefully it's now drilled into my brain well enough.

Thanks to you both for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.