Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the middle of my first game at Flodden (my gosh! what a great game this is!) and I have four questions:

1) What happens if your Commander is dead? Do you just randomly roll each turn for each of your Units to see if their orders change, just as you would any other time?

2) What is this "Column into Line" thing that I see on the Orders Log? I can't find it in the rules.

3) a) What happens if you've ordered an Advance, but your own Units are now in the way of your advancing Unit (assuming your other Units are not blocking your LOS)?
b) Given that "regular" friendly Units can't be adjacent to each other, what happens if your Advance would cause two or more friendlies to be adjacent?

4) What happens if you've ordered an Advance, but your own Units are blocking your LOS? The rules say that you are to Advance towards the nearest enemy that your Unit can see, does it not?

Thanks muchly! For the record (in my game), it's 5:00, and the score stands at 3 to 1 for Scotland, with both King James and the Earl of Surrey slain. Lord Dacre's unit was the first to rout. Word of advice: as spiffy as a cavalry charge sounds, it's a very risky enterprise given how bad the moss troopers' morale is! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
I'm in the middle of my first game at Flodden (my gosh! what a great game this is!) and I have four questions:

1) What happens if your Commander is dead? Do you just randomly roll each turn for each of your Units to see if their orders change, just as you would any other time?

Nothing else to do, the reality is he's dead and in battle unless there is a clear second-in-command one must make and mend. As a variant one might consider if Young Howard would not have been recognised by all as leader, but the Scots are not going to give up their independence to anyone.

amacleod wrote:
2) What is this "Column into Line" thing that I see on the Orders Log? I can't find it in the rules.

A rule of arcane complexity removed in this version:

"(7.7) "COLUMN" INTO "LINE" Instead of advancing in line-abreast non-pike armed Units may move "sideways". "Column" formation may be useful for avoiding bad terrain. This "column" formation does not overrule the Facing rules for Combat.
If using Rule 13 Changing back to a Line will be impossible where an ADVANCE Order requires full speed movement towards the Enemy (since the back columns will have to catch up the front ones). A Player can declare a Unit is changing formation (note this on the Log) and the terms of the ADVANCE Order are deemed to be met providing one Column (probably the back Column) moves a least full speed (for example pivoting around). However, such a Unit has an adverse Combat Modifier of one throughout the rest of that friendly Player Turn and the next enemy Player Turn because of the chaos caused by such strange manoeuvres."

amacleod wrote:
3) a) What happens if you've ordered an Advance, but your own Units are now in the way of your advancing Unit (assuming your other Units are not blocking your LOS)?
b) Given that "regular" friendly Units can't be adjacent to each other, what happens if your Advance would cause two or more friendlies to be adjacent?

(a) You cannot conform with Advance, you move as far as you can and revert to Hold
(b)One of the units cannot comply with Advance, the spacing between units was vital for movement of such large bodies marshalled largely by shouting.

amacleod wrote:
4) What happens if you've ordered an Advance, but your own Units are blocking your LOS? The rules say that you are to Advance towards the nearest enemy that your Unit can see, does it not?

You cannot conform with Advance, you move as far as you can and revert to Hold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, good sir! Final score: Scotland 4, England 2, with English losses outnumbering Scottish losses by approximately three to two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
Thank you, good sir! Final score: Scotland 4, England 2, with English losses outnumbering Scottish losses by approximately three to two.

A remarkable score, it's hats off to ma mither's ain folk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
amacleod wrote:

A remarkable score, it's hats off to ma mither's ain folk.

Let's give credit where credit is due: Scotland's triumph would not have been possible without the English placing a large number of longbowmen in their front ranks! As well, using the "English mixed arrival" rule, Surrey and Dacre arrived first. One turn later, Dacre ordered a charge, and to quote your rulebook's opening notes, Charles, "the loss of Dacre's Unit could give victory to the Scots." I'm not sure if the early loss of Dacre caused the Scottish victory; but it certainly helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.