BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southeast

Subject: Honey Moon in Orlando - FL / I need some Trip Tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Salvato Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody (:

My name is Bruno, I'm brazilian, and I will get married soon, in mid-August.

As the title, I'm gonna travel to Orlando, and do the usual things: Disney, parks, shopping, etc (and the good part of honey moon heheh).

I know the CSI in maintland, and I'll certainly visit this place and buy a bunch of games (maybe 15 games, or until I fill my suitcase).

There's another place I can visit for nerd stuff, books, Comics, Boardgames, Video-Games, open groups? (Sci-Fi-City people tells that is very expensive, I don't even want to go to this place)

I need more than a tip; I need a schedule with some nice places to go and live a real nice trip!

I thank any help, in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
St. Augustine is about 90 minutes away and would be a nice day trip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine,_Florida

Cocoa Beach if you want to swim in the ocean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
United States
Hillsboro
Or
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Comics, A Comic Shop is the best I feel. But it is a bit smaller than the typical place, but they were my go to place.

It's actually quite close to the Winter Park Coolstuff. But I think most of the Coolstuff games are at the Maitland location, which is where their new warehouse is, though I may be wrong. My suggestion is to order the games a couple days in advance and choose a location for in store pick up. Then they should all be ready.

That's a little comment on nerdstuff. But like Eric's suggestion. Remember to do the honeymoon stuff with the spouse. Of course I do know that shopping can be a big draw in Orlando especially with all the outlets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cloak & Blaster is a new gaming pub in east Orlando if you are out that way.
Player 1 is a video game bar that is closer to the theme parks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not game related, but for the Disney trip, look everything up online first. They have pretty much everything you can do on the web site with descriptions etc. Especially look into how to use the Magic Bands. If you have a smart phone, download the official Disney app. They have wifi all over the parks, so you don't have to rely on mobile data usage, too, which is nice.

Also, if you plan on eating at a table-service restaurant in Disney World, make reservations now. Dinner reservations fill up quickly.

My personal favorite restaurants:

The Coral Reef Restaurant in EPCOT. It's right next to the enormous aquariums in the Living Seas attraction, and it's a lot of fun, very romantic.

Les Chefs des France in EPCOT. Great atmosphere, good food.

Cinderella's Royal Table in The Magic Kingdom. This does have character dining, so it's kind of geared towards kids more, but if your fiance has any interest in Disney princesses, she'll love this too. My wife had to have her picture taken with all of the princesses. And it's in Cinderella's Castle, which is really cool.

Tony's Town Square Restaurant in The Magic Kingdom. This has a really nice atmosphere. The couple of times we've been, it hasn't been very crowded, it's set back a bit from the streets, so no distractions at all. It's a cute little restaurant, and I really like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Rocher
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Current Holder of FITZ the Cursing Dice!
mbmbmbmb
Whenever I day trip to Orlando, I hit these places:

Coolstuff Inc (maitland)
Acme Comics
Sci Fi City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Salvato Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

I'm gonna try to visit all these places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Salvato Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

I saw all these places, and certainly I add to my schedule: the comics shops, boardgame's shops, St. Augustine city (I do LOVE this one, it's the kind of place that we love to visit), the disney's dinners (I'm trying to make a reservation in the cinderella table and Be Our Guest, and it's unavailable for moment, I suppose), Cape canaveral (Kennedy Space Center, Manatee Sanctuary Park), 5 days in Disney's parks, SeaWorld, etc...

I realized that I do want to see some sports game, baseball, football, basketball, whatever.
Can you guys help me to find some event near orlando?
I tried but I don't even know the schedule of these sports, neither the cities that the games will happen.
Available date, the period between 13th August and 24th August.

Thanks again (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salvato wrote:
Hey guys!
the disney's dinners (I'm trying to make a reservation in the cinderella table and Be Our Guest, and it's unavailable for moment, I suppose),

You need to reserve those 6 months in advance. You could check their online reservations every day and chance you get to see if someone cancels. I've done it and it can happen. Look at 'Ohana at the Polynesian. It's so much better than Be Our Guest, which is highly overrated IMO. You could always line up for lunch at BOG. (There is a reason I have a Disney badge. )

salvato wrote:

I tried but I don't even know the schedule of these sports, neither the cities that the games will happen. Available date, the period between 13th August and 24th August.

Orlando City Soccer has a match on Aug 16 at Disney World's ESPN complex, which is very nice. We've gone to a number of events there. Tickets start at $25 each. That is the only event in town AFAIK.

http://orlandocitysc.com/schedule/gameschedule/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Salvato Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey CPBelt

Thanks for the tip! I'm trying every day to make some reservations to the Cinderella's (and now 'ohana too (: ), and I made two reservations, at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall and Epcot - IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party (I hope I'm wise with this decision).

About the soccer game, I'll talk to my bride but in this day, probably, we will visit Universal Park.

About the fireworks at Magic Kingdom; I can see it from the park? I can stay in park until 10PM ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salvato wrote:
Hey CPBelt

Thanks for the tip! I'm trying every day to make some reservations to the Cinderella's (and now 'ohana too (: ), and I made two reservations, at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall and Epcot - IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party (I hope I'm wise with this decision).

About the soccer game, I'll talk to my bride but in this day, probably, we will visit Universal Park.

About the fireworks at Magic Kingdom; I can see it from the park? I can stay in park until 10PM ?

Those are good food choices. Norway is featuring Frozen right now. If you like German food, the best value is eating lunch at Germany's buffet as well. Tons of food, plus entertainment. It's a blast. Do not eat at the new Moroccan place on the lake that serves tapas--we tried it and were very disappointed--a ripoff. (My son had shards of glass in his food, which just made matters even worse.) That is the only place in Epoct we will not eat at. OTOH the Moroccan fast food place is one of our favs. BTW we eat at Disney enough that we have their Tables in Wonderland discount card.

The party is a great way to see Illuminations without fighting for a good spot. Plus a lot of fun. thumbsup

I think Universal is the better way to spend the day as well. thumbsup

You can see the fireworks from anywhere in the park, but if you want to see the entire show that goes along with it you want to have a view of the front of the castle. They project things onto the castle. People pick their spots at least an hour before fireworks and parades.

I hope you enjoy your stay. Just dodge any afternoon thunderstorms and you'll be fine.

Regards,
Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salvato wrote:
Hey CPBelt

Universal is more fun than Disney in my opinion especially with the new Harry Potter attractions and if you like roller coasters (Sea World has a big one as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salvato wrote:

Yeah, you can see the fireworks from almost anywhere in the park. One of the best places to watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom is the California Grill restaurant on top of the Contemporary Resort. You have an elevated position, air conditioning at the end of a long hot day, and they play the audio story that goes along with the show at the restaurant. It can be hard to get reservations of course.
Also, the nightly fireworks show at Epcot is excellent.
And lastly, the best dining experience at Disney (and probably all of Orlando) is the chef's table at Victoria & Albert's (at the Grand Floridian hotel). You usually have to call first thing in the morning to book the table 180 days in advance though. But you never know, you may get lucky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
salvato wrote:
Hey CPBelt

Universal is more fun than Disney in my opinion especially with the new Harry Potter attractions and if you like roller coasters (Sea World has a big one as well).

I think that is a personal taste thing, Eric. IMO they are all excellent parks for different reasons. Seaworld is a good 1 day park as well. We love Seaworld also.

I'm glad we live here, otherwise I'd go crazy trying to squeeze it all in in just one week's time!

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPBelt wrote:
eknauer wrote:
salvato wrote:
Hey CPBelt

I think that is a personal taste thing, Eric. IMO they are all excellent parks for different reasons. Seaworld is a good 1 day park as well. We love Seaworld also.

I'm glad we live here, otherwise I'd go crazy trying to squeeze it all in in just one week's time!

Bob

Disney does have a week's worth stuff between all the parks and I think you can cover Universal in two days.

If I had kids, I would make Magic Kingdom a priority. Otherwise, I'd skip it and go to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Everything gets complicated if you want to focus on water attractions since all the parks have water rides and there is Wet N Wild, a separate park with really fun water slides.

Also, let me throw in a last minute recommendation for Cirque du Soleil La Nouba in Downtown Disney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Nouba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Salvato Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for everyone! It's great how you people are helping me.

CPBelt wrote:
...otherwise I'd go crazy trying to squeeze it all in in just one week's time!

This is exactly the feeling that I'm having hahah

I'm going crazy with all the marriage stuff, and the trip, and the many many options we'll have... I saw yesterday the magic kingdom map and that thing blew my mind... It's just amazing the way the park can have so many options; I would love to taste all the things, but in 5 days, is humanly impossible

eknauer wrote:
Disney does have a week's worth stuff between all the parks and I think you can cover Universal in two days.

If I had kids, I would make Magic Kingdom a priority. Otherwise, I'd skip it and go to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Also, let me throw in a last minute recommendation for Cirque du Soleil La Nouba in Downtown Disney.

I'll have one day in each Disney's parks, but two in Epcot, which is certainly the main attraction for adults (but my bride does love the princess and mickey mouse stuff).

I'm trying to fit two days in our travel to go to Universal, and I'll delve this cirque du soleil show

I'll post here, soon, the schedule that I'm plotting;

Now I'm trying to learn the FastPass+ stuff, which is inaccessible through Disney's page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:

+1 to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salvato wrote:
Now I'm trying to learn the FastPass+ stuff, which is inaccessible through Disney's page.

Ugh! FP+ drives us crazy. I feel your pain.

La Nouba is running special prices right now. An excellent show!

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/lanouba/tickets/flori...

The Kingdom will be the busiest park. Epcot gets a lot busier later afternoon and evening, but is calmer during the morning. The Studios is a one day park. (Fastpass Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster for sure if you like them.)

Just keep applying plenty of sunscreen, even if cloudy. Try to stay out of the sun. Drink plenty of water during the morning so as not to dehydrate and then keep drinking. It will be around 92 degrees each day. My wife and I each carry a bottle of spring water with us and keep refilling it at water fountains. I like to put diet ice tea powders in it as well, she doesn't.) It will remain very hot well into the evening, unless a thunderstorm cools it off a bit. I'm sure you know this drill!

Here is a good place to keep tabs on the forecast and radar. I keep it on my phone all the time. Also, remember we are in peak hurricane season during the end of August, so pay attention to the weather. Odds on, nothing will happen but one never knows.

http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/weather/forecast.h...

Bob

----
My miniature, board, and card gaming blog: A League of Ordinary Gamers
Why can't BGG have sigs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Salvato Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we have the planning of our travel; I have to add all the detailed planning (I know that I'm pretty late).

12 Aug
- Arrive at 12 o'clock, take the rented car, make the check-in at hotel, go to walmart and buy some water, candy, food etc. Make a little tour in the city.

13 Aug
- Trip to Miami
- Make some shopping at SawGrass, Ross, etc.
(Need detailed planning)

14 Aug
- Universal Studios
(Need detailed planning)

15 Aug
- Universal's Islands of Adventure
(Need detailed planning)

16 Aug
- Canaveral Cape
- Manatee Sanctuary Park, Kennedy Space Center
(Need detailed planning)

17 Aug
- Epcot
8:25PM - Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
(Need detailed planning)

18 Aug
- Magic Kingdom
(Need detailed planning)

19 Aug
- Disney's Hollywood Studios
(Need detailed planning)

20 Aug
- Repeat our favorite park (probably Epcot
8PM - Epcot - IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party (we are tending so much to cancel this reservation)
(Need detailed planning)

21 Aug
- Disney's Animal Kingdom
(Need detailed planning)

22 Aug
- SeaWorld
(Need detailed planning)

23 Aug
- Trip to St. Augustine
(Need detailed planning)

24 Aug
-
(Need detailed planning)

25 Aug
- Prepare the baggage, suitcase, payment of additional fee in Hotel, Car Rental, etc.
5PM - Departure
(Need detailed planning)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salvato wrote:

13 Aug
- Trip to Miami
- Make some shopping at SawGrass, Ross, etc.
(Need detailed planning)

Starting off your trip with 7+ hours in the car ... yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Nadler
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miami is a 4-5 hour drive from Orlando. To get back for Universal the next day is 8-10 hours in a car without doing anything in Miami.

You are much better served considering a day at the beach, visiting the Mall at Millenia, hanging at hotel pool, or consider spending the day at Downtown Disney. Window shop, grab some food at the different restaurants, and taking it liesurely. The parks will wear you down in a way that is unexplainable. It is hot, long lines, and lots of people. Many of them doing exactly what you are doing.

There're is a nice boat ride from Downtown Disney to the New Orleans hotels. It takes about 20 minutes. You can wander around and just enjoy the properties. Then, ride back when you are done exploring. Also, there is a book that has all the hidden Mickey's in a trasure hunt format. That may be a unique way to spend a day exploring Disney from a different vantage point.

Something else you may consider...Tampa is only two hours away and can make for a very nice day trip. Also, look at wandering Park Avenue, in Winter Park and taking the lake boat tour.

You could spend the afternoon or evening in the city and strolling around Lake Eola.

Or, you could visit DeLeon Springs and the old mill restaurant where you make pancakes at your table. There is also Blue Springs. You might get to snorkel or see some Manatees in their natural habitat. The water is always 72 degrees, so be prepared.

If you like the touristy stuff, try wandering International Drive or going to Old Townes in Kissimmee. They have a lot of carnival-like rides and go-karts. There is a small haunted attraction there called Legends that is kind of fun, if you dig that kind of thing.

All these are within an hour of the theme parks. There is a lot to do and see. Don't feel that you need to limit yourself to only the tourist stuff.

Do yourself a favor and stay long enough in St. Augustine to enjoy a ghost tour. They have some of the best in the nation. During the day, take the trolley tour to get one part of the story and get the other from the ghost tour.

Enjoy your visit to The City Beautiful!

Wednesdays are board game nights at Cool Stuff, by the way. Their prices are the same in the store as they are online. They have a massive warehouse in back. If you ask nicely, they might give you a tour.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Salvato Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice tips! Many thanks!

The De Leon springs is certainly the place we like to visit; I must find a slot in my travel to it now hahaha. Can you estimate how much I'll spend to get ticket, lunch, parking, etc in this park? I didn't found anything about prices in site.

About Miami, I'm going to the city only for shopping; In Brazil every good stuff is very expensive, so we will enjoy the malls and try to get clothes as much as we want (We are going to Orlando with a hand bag only, to return with some suitcases filled with good and cheap stuff).

I'll try to bring some game in luggage too, and this is the geeklist of my will: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/169185/jogos-comprar-e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salvato wrote:
Nice tips! Many thanks!

The De Leon springs is certainly the place we like to visit; I must find a slot in my travel to it now hahaha. Can you estimate how much I'll spend to get ticket, lunch, parking, etc in this park? I didn't found anything about prices in site.

About Miami, I'm going to the city only for shopping; In Brazil every good stuff is very expensive, so we will enjoy the malls and try to get clothes as much as we want (We are going to Orlando with a hand bag only, to return with some suitcases filled with good and cheap stuff).

Are you getting something in Miami that you can't get in Orlando? I would avoid the 8 hour round trip as well unless there is something special in Miami you need that justifies the amount of time in the car not to mention gas money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, we expect a detailed report when you get back including pictures of your trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Salvato Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
salvato wrote:
Nice tips! Many thanks!

Are you getting something in Miami that you can't get in Orlando? I would avoid the 8 hour round trip as well unless there is something special in Miami you need that justifies the amount of time in the car not to mention gas money.

Some friends of mine tells me that Miami has cheaper stores and malls (Is that real?), that's the reason. We are trying to get more with less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.