Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I've received some questions regarding our graphic design for Sector 219 (which is will be going to print shortly) and whether it will be easy for colorblind people to tell the Green team apart from the Orange/Red team and to a lesser extent whether the icons will be clearly legible. I'd already shown the layout to some color-blind friends but given how varied colorblindness can be I wanted to survey a larger group.

Here are some cards from the Green team:

And the same units from the Orange team:

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the TL;DR list is: black, white, yellow, and red. Avoid green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAKANA McDONALD
United States
BRONX
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Colorblind gamer here.

The panels on the bottom of the cards are clearly bright green and bright orange. This means I can play the game.

The art for the orange units themselves looks kind of like a rusted green to me (but I obviously don't know if that's actually the case). Do the orange units all have glowing orange eyes/sensors? Without those, it might be a little bit difficult to tell the difference between the two without looking at the brightly-colored panels. Of course, that isn't really much of a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is actually a wealth of information on this topic in the design forum.

colors for the color blind

someweher ein that thread i'm sure there is a link to websites and apps that allow you to view stuff on your screen with "colourblind"-filters.
As a rule of thumb green and orange/red are pretty much the worst combination of colours to choose for any design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chad, have you tried to the colorblindness Proof Views in Photoshop?

They might give you some ideas as to what is discernible. If you have to struggle to tell them apart, I'd assume the worst and consider some changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
The red symbols on the green at the bottom are not easy for me to make out, on an actual card I think I would struggle a bit. There isn't enough contrast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

Kaile here sitting in for Chad. I'm the graphic designer who does the work for YMG.

After seeing the feedback about the Sector 219 Game I went back and tried a few different colors. Now, just to explain a little bit…

When first designing these I worked around what the artist did for his color themes and pieces. We tried a whole lot of colors that just didn't work visually and professionally until we tried to pull color from the actual pieces for consistency which is how we ended up with the burnt orange color and the teal/green.

Thanks to the info here, I came up with these options and hope this will help. Feed back is welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Hello everyone,

Kaile here sitting in for Chad. I'm the graphic designer who does the work for YMG.

After seeing the feedback about the Sector 219 Game I went back and tried a few different colors. Now, just to explain a little bit…

When first designing these I worked around what the artist did for his color themes and pieces. We tried a whole lot of colors that just didn't work visually and professionally until we tried to pull color from the actual pieces for consistency which is how we ended up with the burnt orange color and the teal/green.

Thanks to the info here, I came up with these options and hope this will help. Feed back is welcome.

This is roughly what it would look like to someone with Deuteranopia (most common form of colour blindness):

I'm not a big fan of using to colour alone to distinguish different types of cards. Why not use some other graphical element, a frame or icon in addition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe different lettering/fonts for the titles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
The red on green is still hard for me to see. Given that I have mild red/green colorblindness, and that is the most common colorblindness, it may be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also post a link to this thread at the colourblind gamers guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Kaile here again... Thank you for showing us what the cards look like for those affected by Deuteranopia. Is there a way you could show us what the original design and colors also look like so I can educate further?

Also please tell me where I can find (preferably for free) a filter that actually works in Photoshop CS3 for MAC that could help us in the future.

After considering more of the comments, Chad and I have decided to change/add the following to help:

1). Add an icon in the upper right corner that signifies Mech team vs. Alien Team.

2). All the icons in the control bar explaining each cards play will be changed color and effect wise similar to the treatment of the arrow.

Thank you for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Elliott
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

Another partially color blind gamer here. I had no problems with the cards assigned to green. I did have problems with the ones assigned to orange. The orange is coming across as red, and what would be red (by my guess) is hard to make out.

Thanks for taking the time to ask gamers about this, it has made me interested in getting the game now. It has already been mentioned, but I love it when icons are assigned to colors as well, Ticket To Ride is a great example of this (just look on the train card corners).

Best regards,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buday
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also Red/Green colourblind. The issue I have usually has to do with red on green backgrounds, and vice versa. Certain videogames that require lining up blocks by colour are sometimes a problem. The cards shown are fine. I can tell them apart easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. We're going to add an icon alongside the unit names as a non-colored way to distinguish easily between the sides. I think we're also going to change the icon colors all to the new kind we're using in "supply" because that contrasts so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paladinelliott wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to ask gamers about this, it has made me interested in getting the game now.

I honestly started this thread with no intention to hawk, but if you are interested the Kickstarter ends in just a couple of days. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another color-challenged player here. Most men over 45 or so develop some color blindness; that is to say it is fairly common among gamers. I usually have the most trouble with green/red and greed/orange combinations, but sometimes the green, orange, and brown cubes used in some game cannot be distinguished by my eyes.

I am also very nearsighted. That means that games like Ticket to Ride are very challenging to me because not only are the colors hard to tell apart, the symbols used are also real small. It is hard not to telegraph your moves when I have to put my eyes 1"-2" off the board! Maybe I should try opera glasses...

I would imagine these challenges will only increase across the gaming world as we age. As I don't plan to stop playing games, I hope that more folks who develop games seek input from gamers, as you are doing. Kudos to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.