Subject: Idea: Shields and 12 sided dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam K.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I was thinking about shields and their general lack of use in many situations.

What if a group used 12 sided dice and doubled the adjustment values of the targeting computers and shields? Add in the idea that '1' always misses and '12' always hits, regardless of excessive computers or shields.

Where shields and targeting computers are equal or non-existant, a hit would happen on an 11 or 12. One in six chance, just like normal.

Shields would have some use against someone without a targeting computer. Gauss shield versus no computer would then need a '13' to hit, which would mean only a roll of '12' would hit. The shield becomes useful.

It might be too finicky though, and increase the dicy-ness of builds, thus decreasing stability.

Discuss, if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkherokaze wrote:
It might be too finicky though, and increase the dicy-ness of builds, thus decreasing stability.

Discuss, if you like.
No need to; you've already hit what I feel to be the salient counterpoint in your initial pitch.

Eclipse is not a space combat game. It's a resource management game. There happens to be a combat mechanic in order to further encourage player interaction. But it's not a combat game. All you're doing by adding more rules and more complication to the combat mechanic is adding more rules and more complication to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Burns
United States
Aurora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the intent of changing to a d12. I might be wrong but if you double the dice and double the upgrades aren't you negating the issue? Your basically are only adding 1/12 chance to miss on everything (unless 11-12 is an automatic hit then you are changing nothing).

I'd rather go to d8 and keep the upgrades the same cause then there would be some reason to try for multiple computers/shields and new builds and crazier missile ships .Or change different weapons to different dice. I.e d4-strong (no auto hit only diff between shields and computers), d6(auto 6), d8(auto 8), d10-weak auto(9-10). This give a shield piercing like effect. But all in all not sure there is much reason to mess with dice a whole lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Instead of changing all the shield and computer values, you might create a set of d12s with the values 'miss',1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,'hit'.

Some users have complained about the randomness of combat. That, whatever measures you take, there is a 16,7 percent chance per die that these fail automatically. Using a d12 instead of a d6 halves that chance for each die.

Pro: d12's are cool, and see too little use.
Con: Storing them uses more room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locke Balenska
msg tools
Whymme wrote:
Instead of changing all the shield and computer values, you might create a set of d12s with the values 'miss',1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,'hit'.

Some users have complained about the randomness of combat. That, whatever measures you take, there is a 16,7 percent chance per die that these fail automatically. Using a d12 instead of a d6 halves that chance for each die.

Pro: d12's are cool, and see too little use.
Con: Storing them uses more room.

Another Con: A lot of people don't own 40 d12's for when someone attacks a hex with 4 starbases and 4 plasma missile ship parts on the starbase blueprint...

I own about eighty d6's. I own two d12's. I do not want to re-roll those two d12 twenty times, keeping track of the number of hits along the way, every time someone attacks my plasma missile starbases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
darkherokaze wrote:
I was thinking about shields and their general lack of use in many situations.

I think your basic premise is flawed. Shields are remarkably useful.

The Gauss Shield (-1) is really cheap, easy to get technology (that multiple races start out with) that makes killing Ancients in the first couple turns *vastly* easier; a single Gauss Shield on your ship means that the Ancients are only going to hit you half as often as they would otherwise. Which is a *very* significant help when you don't have a lot of other good technology.

The Phase Shield (-2) is very good for stopping Plasma Missile fleets in their tracks--a cheap Starbase with Ion Cannon, 2xPhase Shield, and 2xImproved Hull (which you probably have by the time someone has Plasma Missile) is *remarkably* hard to kill with Plasma Missiles--assuming the attacker needs a 6 to hit, which they probably will given the double Phase Shield, it'll take, what, 18 plasma Missiles (9 mounts, which is likely 1.5 Dreadnaughts worth of missiles, if not more) to kill one of these on average? Yeah, it isn't going to get you to win an offensive vs the Plasma Missile guy, but it totally will allow you to hold the center if you got there first.

Quote:
What if a group used 12 sided dice and doubled the adjustment values of the targeting computers and shields? Add in the idea that '1' always misses and '12' always hits, regardless of excessive computers or shields.

I'm not quite sure what increasing dice to d12s and then doubling all the numbers accomplishes.

Quote:
Shields would have some use against someone without a targeting computer. Gauss shield versus no computer would then need a '13' to hit, which would mean only a roll of '12' would hit. The shield becomes useful.

Gauss Shield is already useful against Ancients (that all have targeting computers). And opponents that have targeting computers (which is all the dreadnaughts by default). Yeah, someone can say "Huh. They have a Gauss Shield. I'll take out my +1 computer and put in more hull instead!", but that takes an action and the very *existence* of the shield on your ship condemns them to a "6" to hit. Which is good enough. And heck, if they pull out their computers, you can then reactively pull out your Gauss Shield...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.