Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it permissible to play more than one Double Agent token to interrupt an assassinate agent/royal/hide action if there are 2 or more Agents in the city controlled by the active player? Or does the first one played immediately end the action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever seen this happen, but I imagine it would be permissible. There is certainly nothing in the rules that I'm aware of to suggest otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not accounted for in the rules (what a situation to encounter!), and likely arguable either way, I would disallow it, personally.

Mainly, because revealing a single double agent token is also listed as an action in itself, so there is perhaps some design intention in limiting how many you are allowed to 'claim' in a single go (even if this is out of turn).

And while there might be an advantage to claiming two in a go -- game drawing to close and both are worth victory points, perhaps; get some influence in a city to block someone else's planned card claim -- it might generally be wiser to hold onto the other one in order to do the same again (to that poor, poor player) on another attempt.

You'd also want to consider what card the player used to perform the action. Could be a waste if you reveal both and the 'acting agent' gets killed from the sanity token. Sure, the token then won't give you an agent anyway, but it's useful for the mindgames/bluffing element compared to having a useless token that everyone can see.

And part of the fun is using the information/advantage to toy with others. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the advantage of using the Double Agent tokens to interrupt someone else's action is that you get to use them for free without wasting one of your own actions on your turn. Plus, you also make another player waste one of their actions! That's why you wouldn't play a Double Agent token as soon as you could.

The situation I'm imagining also allows for the fact that the Double Agent tokens might be owned by more than one player.

Active player A has 3 agents in one city where an Assassinate Royal action is being undertaken. Player B has the Double Agent token for one of those 3 agents and Player C the Double Agent token of another of the three.

If only one can be used who gets to take the "free" action and gain another agent? Whoever piped up first? Or do they both get to interrupt and take a Double Agent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
That strikes me as a group rule and move on, as it seems exceedingly unlikely. My inclination would be to let it happen, as rare as it would be. I had one game where I had to plots foiled, as double agents, back to back. That situation isn't that far off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's definitely an edge case and not likely to occur in many games. It's probably best to let them both go through as there really isn't a good way to decide who gets priority and there's no sense in punishing one or the other of the players by giving away the value of their Double Agent token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Part of the advantage of using the Double Agent tokens to interrupt someone else's action is that you get to use them for free without wasting one of your own actions on your turn. Plus, you also make another player waste one of their actions!

Well, conversely, if the opportunity arises again, you wind up wasting two of their actions in total!

Though, it really is situational with when you might want to reveal it, depending on the agent, their location, etc. but I'd probably tend to favour the 'long game' advantages of holding one unless it were clearly game deciding/time critical.

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

The situation I'm imagining also allows for the fact that the Double Agent tokens might be owned by more than one player.

Active player A has 3 agents in one city where an Assassinate Royal action is being undertaken. Player B has the Double Agent token for one of those 3 agents and Player C the Double Agent token of another of the three.

If only one can be used who gets to take the "free" action and gain another agent? Whoever piped up first? Or do they both get to interrupt and take a Double Agent?

In that situation, I would probably say it's okay if they belonged to two separate players since that is still 'one each' (and because of your aforementioned 'already tipped their hand' issue). Admittedly, part of my decision there is based on how hilarious it would be to see that occur.

"Halt, assassin! Agent Tuesday's nefarious plans will go no further."
"Aha, but I'm really working for Agent Friday. I was never going to see this through."
"Oh, then... toodlepip. Let us not encounter each other again!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping this as had this happen in today's game.

Situation, Agent Friday has amassed a decent party in London for taking out Gloriana: Main Agent, Holmes, Vera Figner and Evno Asef (5 bombs before any cards). Unbeknownst to Friday, Agent Tuesday is holding DA counters for both Figner and Asef. Wasn't 100% clear if both could be revealed in one go, but even allowing it, Tuesday probably did better by revealing them separately. Turns played out as follows:

Friday
Action 1: Assassinate Gloriana (T reveals Figner, fail)
Action 2: Influence on Ravachol in London

Tuesday
Action 1: Blocking disc to St. Petersburg
Action 2: Vampire his Main Agent

Friday
Action 1: Claim Ravachol (giving back a bomb lost with Figner)
Action 2: Assassinate Gloriana (T reveals Asef, fail)

Following turn Tuesday then took out Holmes to boot, but by single flipping, was able to make Friday effectively waste two turns.

One case where the double reveal could come in handy would be if there was the Main Agent is in reach and double revealing, stealing two Agents, would only leave the player with the Main Agent (say Friday), removing the buffer on the opponent's turn, the player (Tuesday for example) gaining the Double Agents could now, cards allowing (and KttA) go for an assassination of the Main Agent, potentially ending the game, if Friday was a Resto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.