Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Impulse» Forums » General

Subject: Action & Color Connection (changes between Pre-release and Production) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a connection between colors of cards and their actions. It has been there since the pre-release version, but is more pronounced in the production version.

For instance, yellow is the 'Command' color - that is just about all that is there. Blue is for 'Build' with some 'Trade' thrown in I think.. Red is for 'Sabotage' and 'Mine'. Green is a bit of 'Draw' and ... (I can't remember if plan or research features more prominently). There are some exceptions, where one or two of a particular action will show up outside its dominant color, but not many.

Can Chris or Chuck comment on the game play reason to even more strongly tie one color to a set of actions in the production version? Does it play better that way, or is it largely thematic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I remember Chris’s commenting that the color distribution was accidentally off in the prerelease version. So I don’t know whether what you’re seeing is the correction to how the game was intended in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was always intended to have a dominant presence in each action type for one color, and a smattering of others. Not every single move is yellow, but most are. This means that mining certain types of minerals gives you a greater likelyhood for enhanced actions of one type, but not all of them. And similarly, you can get an occasional boost in an action type from one of its off-color cards.

The error from the pre-release was just a couple cards that got color swapped. Everything in the final version is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually sorted the cards to investigate this after the first play. There are some general guidelines but nothing is set in stone it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least in my copy, all the builds are blue, and all the sabatoges are red. Every color except red has a 'rare' card (I don't count the draw card).

My base impression, having not yet played a game, was that opening strategy really depends on knowing which of your initial six cards was a rare, and which action cards mesh. A rare green command means you can pursue a red green mine / refine strategy without needing yellow minerals, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's changed a bit between Pre-release and Production, and I saw an older thread about card distribution, I thought I'd share an updated analysis.

edit: fixed image link

It's pretty late now, so I'll just point out that the data shows that green has a lot more variety than yellow or red. Which I guess is good, Plan and Execute both require other cards to be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.