John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With so many cards out - I'm just trying to add some variety without going insane and grabbing everything (DON'T TEMPT ME I WOULD DO IT)

So, what expansions or card packs would you suggest if I'm trying to keep the cost down?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
What Lies Ahead is the best one-shot data pack. After that, get Opening Moves.

In terms of new cards to play with for the buck, the two large expansions - Creation & Control and Honor & Profit - are the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A second core set. After that What Lies Ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WindSoul wrote:
A second core set. After that What Lies Ahead.

I'm not really interested in tournaments or hardcore deckbuilding. I'd just like to get more variety of cards so that we aren't using the same cards play after play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Beginner's Guide To Expanding Netrunner

I keep an article up to date on what cards are relevant from each pack. Check it out, decide what factions you want to build on, and go from there. I hope it helps narrow down your choices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
What Lies Ahead is the best one-shot data pack. After that, get Opening Moves.

In terms of new cards to play with for the buck, the two large expansions - Creation & Control and Honor & Profit - are the best.

I'm in the kinda the same position as John. What Lies Ahead should arrive soon, but I saw elsewhere a suggestion that Future Proof makes a good second purchase so I went with that. Looking ahead, what's great about Opening Moves?

I'm putting off the large expansions until I've chosen a favorite faction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Clevider wrote:
Looking ahead, what's great about Opening Moves?

In no particular order:

* Celebrity Gift. Jinteki really benefits from finally having a decent in-faction economy Operation.
* Himitsu-Bako. The exact same sentence as above, substituting "Barrier ice" for "economy Operation."
* Jackson Howard. Jackson Freaking Howard, Our Lord and Savior. I've been tempted to buy a second Opening Moves just for 3 more of this card.
* Grim. The best of the Illicit ice, and neutral. A beefy Destroyer Sentry. Good stuff.
* Hostage. Runners get to fetch Kati Jones, Professional Contacts, and Mr. Li on demand! If you don't have those cards yet, this will probably seem lackluster.
* John Masanori. Desperado for cards! But not hardware. And he sometimes gives you a tag. And...you know what, nevermind, just...he's good.
* NEXT Bronze. For the HB player without Double Time (and therefore Quandry).
* Honorable mentions: Rook, Geothermal Fracking, Cyberdex Trial. These are not bad cards at all! Specialized, maybe, but not bad.

So yeah, it's a pretty solid pack, especially for Corps (who sort of needed it after Genesis + C&C).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Paterson
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
Strongest packs for me are the first and last packs of each cycle.

So what lies ahead, future proof, opening moves and double time. The deluxe boxes are both solid too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:

Jackson Howard is arguably the best corp card from any expansion. I own every expansion but only 1 expansion do I have 2 copies of and that is Opening Moves. I was getting tired of always having to swap the same 3 Jackson's from every corp deck.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/1no1hc/cotd_jacks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Rediknight wrote:
Clevider wrote:

Jackson Howard is arguably the best corp card from any expansion. I own every expansion but only 1 expansion do I have 2 copies of and that is Opening Moves. I was getting tired of always having to swap the same 3 Jackson's from every corp deck.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/1no1hc/cotd_jacks...

I used my store credit from regionals to buy a 3rd set of jackson. I'd agree with Trentt hamm. What lies ahead for the extra agendas, then opening moves for jackson.

Then read hobojoo's post and decide where to go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
If you're interested in NR podcasts, a recent episode of Corp Draw focused almost entirely on helping new players, and they discussed this exact topic. Everyone weighed in on what data packs would be the best for a new player. It's worth a listen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great info guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.