Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ten possible names for the druid hero are now posted for Kickstarter backers to vote on. We all get to vote for three names, but which is your favorite? (Comments are encouraged!)

Poll
Which druid name do you like best?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Arkeos
9.1% 2
Averan
0.0% 0
Cacapolant
0.0% 0
Corvinus
22.7% 5
Hadumar
13.6% 3
Karath
9.1% 2
Nicodemus
9.1% 2
Oakheart
31.8% 7
Randar
4.5% 1
Rathgos
0.0% 0
Voters 22
This poll is now closed.   22 answers
Poll created by Vydar
Closes: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corvinus was the name I submitted. It is derived from the Latin word corvus, meaning "raven." I felt the name sounded sinister enough for a former commander of Telin's forces (who now wears a big carnivore skull on his head), while still having an appropriate association with nature as would be expected of a druid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP has permitted me to write about the origin of my submission.

Arkeos was derived from the transliterated word arkeo. Arkeo was transliterated from the original Greek word apkeo(sorry, not Greek alphabet as written).

The definitions that are appropriate for the Spells of Doom character are;

to be possessed of unfailing strength
to be strong, to suffice, to be enough
to defend, ward off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! I'd love to hear how others came up with their names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Etymology aside - it's important, I don't deny it, but until all the stories are given, I don't have the drive to research them - let me point my favorites by the quality of their pronunciation. (Thus, excuse my letting myself transcribe them.)

First off, Cacapolant /kəˈkæplænt/ sounds like - excuse the phrase - "a sh*tty plant".

Secondly, Corvinus /'kɔːvɪnəs/ and Nicodemus /nɪ'kɒdəməs/, while suitable for men of science, don't really click with a primal mage of nature - they sound too Roman, too noble.

Karath /'kærəθ/ would be OK, had it not sounded so similarly to Gareth - a bit too common-sounding name for such persona.

Continuing, Oakheart /too obvious/ would probably get my vote for both sound and easily-understandable connection to the character of a druid... had it not such a strong association with a certain dwarf. Still, probably that's where my fourth vote would have gone.

Alas, appeasing as Arkeos /ˈaːkɪəs/ and Averan /ˈəɪvrən/ are, another applicants amongst the available answers attracted attention more artfully.

I wish I had a better reasoning, but Randar /'rʌndɜː/ I just don't like.

Finally, hoping I haven't offended anyone, let me get to the trio of my choice:

Hadumar /ʌ'duːmɑ:/ sounds deep. I'm curious about the etymology, but the sound brings to mind Russian duma, "thinks" and Polish zaduma, "reverie", both of which are apprecatied associations in a wizard's name.

Rathgos /'ræθgɪs/ sounds appropriately hard for a druid's name. It could also be spelled /'rɑːθgəs/, sounding more like "wrath", and that's what a druid is, right? Nature's fury materialized.

Thus, I've run out of candidates. Looking back on the list, I'm torn between Arkeos, Oakheart and Karath. The first has great etymology, the second easy association, and the third could also be respelled to contain the "wrath": /kə'rɑːθ/. After some thought, I'm going to vote for Arkeos, but I feel I'm thus doing injustice to the other two. Still, Arkeos iacta est.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts! Whether someone likes a name is such a matter of opinion that I don't think anyone should take offense at your comments. That said, I'll still defend my name choice:

Wuzetus wrote:
Corvinus /'kɔːvɪnəs/ and...while suitable for men of science, don't really click with a primal mage of nature - they sound too Roman, too noble.

Remember that he was Telin's commander of legions before he became a druid, so a Roman-sounding name might be fitting. (I actually submitted Corvin with Corvinus as an alternate, but Corvinus was the one selected by the game designers.)

Wuzetus wrote:
First off, Cacapolant /kəˈkæplænt/ sounds like - excuse the phrase - "a sh*tty plant".

When my wife first read it, she thought the name was "Cocoa Plant."

Out of curiosity, did you submit a name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, actually, I'm hardly able to kickstart my own life, backing others' projects remains a distant future possibility for now

If the name Corvin passed, the game would cause quite a few laughs in Poland, as that's the surname of a Polish politician that is... rather original in his opinions. That being said, with the backstory taken into consideration, I like Corvinus as an option much better. Were I to actually vote, I would now have even harder time picking the third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post here with the eventual winner.

I too was surprised by a "caca" name.
Why not a "peepee" too?

Oakheart took my vote.

I would have voted for Getafix or Panoramix too whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I would have voted for Getafix or Panoramix too whistle

Had the guy in your avatar been Obelix, such sucking up would have made even more sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming Together
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a day left for voting the druids name on KS!
So far Oakheart is leading the race, with Arkeos and Corvinus right behind him.
It's time for all the undecided to take part in !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Please post here with the eventual winner.

Oakheart is the winner with 21.43% of the votes. Congratultions!

2nd - Corvinus with 16.33% of the votes.
3rd - Arkeos with 15.31% of the votes.

Full results can be found here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drawlab/spells-of-doom-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.