Popular Tags: [View All]
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's just me or if I'm being swept up in a new trend, but man, I feel like I have to pre-order games for any shot at getting them.

I suppose it started with Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men, which I was unsure of -- I mean, licensed games can be very hit or miss. By the time I'd heard enough "it's awesome" I was hearing "it's sold out!"

Then I started getting worried. What other games will I want that disappear before they even reach store shelves? I don't want to have to stalk the release date lists and get in the store the moment the game arrives. Heck, in the case of Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game my local BGS was sold out before I got off work on the day of release.

I managed to get a copy of Star Realms last week at regular price ($15). Saw today on Amazon the cheapest is now $40!

So I've started pre-ordering games. It seems... weird to me. I feel like my 20+ years of buying board games were generally go into different BGS's in my area, see game, buy game. Now I have to plan out what I want in advance. I pre-ordered Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game because it seems like it will be sold out day one.

Is the need to pre-order a new trend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the developer. If they are with a company like GMT or any other of the big companies, pre orders are not a big deal. If you have a SMALL company bent on distributing the game on their own then pre-order is a VERY good idea. The one that comes to mind right off the bat is Fifth Column Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if its a trend or not, but I've started pre-ordering more often recently. I too missed out on the Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men pre-order, but was lucky enough to find one on Amazon. Knowing there is a existing issue with this manufacturer and availability, I pre-ordered Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men starters and boosters before the pre-orders were pulled from CSI. I also pre-ordered Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game because I was going to be out of town and didn't want to make the 1 hour drive to my closest game store.

So in my case, its been situational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that you need to order more stuff to get free shipping when it does eventually come.

I'm in the same pattern, also heavily influenced by Dice Masters. Being in the home city of target I was able to get a copy in store on release day. On the other hand now I'm looking to sell (Great game but I just don't play it enough to justify keeping it around.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's... complicated. An unfortunate side-effect of the fact that boardgames are expensive to make and companies that do have the resources to make large production runs often do not, as the cost of having a large amount of unsalable inventory is devastating.

I try to preorder things when there is significant incentive to do so (savings, bonus things included, etc) or I have a reason to believe that if I do not preorder that I will have a hard time getting a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think that it is not a trend.

Things I notice:
1) Games themed with franchise stuff usually sells - Superheroes, movies, zombies, etc.
2) KS and other crowd-sourcing stuff is not really a preorder, but an investment based on a presented prospectus or brand recognition... and swag (well, sometimes swag).
3) Trends in gaming change drastically from region to region - don't expect to see a lot of bible-based games flying off the shelf in Las Vegas, Reno, or Atlantic City.
4) There is a severe "cult of the new" on popular theme games. Dead of Winter is a zombie game. Legendary and MDM are superhero games. Popular games that aren't in-stock cause the price people will part with them to go up. take a look at Betrayal at House on the Hill - $75+ right now.
5) Most games, if really popular, will get a reprint. may cost MSRP, but there will me more.

personally, I don't if i see a game i want and if i can't get it in pre-prod, I wait till the newness fads out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
You name the main draw of preordering as getting the game day 1. I pose the idea that if a game is that good and is sold out on day one then there is literally no reason why the company wouldn't run a reprint. Sure it can take a few more months to get everything but they have everything needed. The art the components list everything needed to print the game (as well as probably a semi reliable printing company) so you will get the game a few months later than others and guess what? You will get it past the super hype mode. You will not get stuck with a game that was super hyped out and turns out to be just a bit average.

I've seen a lot of preorder hype and most of the time the games just turn out to be average or sometimes below average. Its the same as the kickstarer curses. I have enough of a collection to have enough things to play. I only preorder/reserve something when it is something that I know before putting any money down that I will enjoy and that will make it on the game table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only pre-ordered once or twice. I haven't had much difficulty getting the games I want. I visit several OLGS sites every day to see what is new and I can usually order new releases on the release date. Worst case scenario is I get them when they are restocked, which usually happens within a few days or maybe a week.

EDIT: The one or two times I pre-ordered games, I placed the order very close to the release date. I have never ordered a game weeks or months before it was released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My view is probably influenced more than a little by the fact that I'm here in the wastelands, in order to pre-order from US, due to shipping, would end up paying more than I would from my FLGS, and my FLGS tends to order enough to go around, less gamers/buyers in Finland, so for example, had no trouble getting hold of a MDM Starter set .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still never pre-order. The few I've done hasn't gotten me them cheaper or faster.

If it's worth buying I'll get it. Haven't had any problems so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I never have until I pre-ordered Imperial Settlers for Gen Con pick-up yesterday. I've never been to Gen Con and was hoping to be able to pick something up from it as a "souvenir" and/or something that was "exclusive" even for a short period of time.

I'd probably never do it again though. It's more or less my same feeling for Kickstarter projects too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
General no.

Recently though I have Kickstarted a few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:

Is the need to pre-order a new trend?

The need to pre-order is an old trend. Been around for awhile.

There's about 5,000 old games, available in the aftermarket in fine condition, that you can pick up well below retail and enjoy every bit as much as the vaporware that people are asking for your money to produce (prior to being properly tested). You'll have a much better idea about whether you'll enjoy them or not, and you'll be able to trade them away for the same amount of money that you purchased them for.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Though, as you mention, MDM got me thinking about whether I should start. Then again, a lot of people who did preorder still don't have their copy, which would have royally pissed me off if I had preordered it. In any case, I'm not going to write off the concept entirely. But 90% of the time, it's cheaper, easier, and safer just to wait a while. There are of course notable exceptions, but there are so many great games out there that they're not worth worrying too much about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered plaid hat games Dead of Winter but only because they're offering $20 off the pre-order, so thats nice. Plus you get a promo character for ordering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Stockburn
United Kingdom
Burnley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not against pre-ordering, if your in a position to be able to pre-order a game then go for it.

I wouldn't pre-order a game. My funds are very, very short due to being a house husband in a single income home. My gaming time is small; limited due to having family commitments.

These circumstances have forced me to research, in depth, every game before I buy it. I may only get to buy one game during the next few months, I want that game to be a game I want more than any other game I want at the time and I want it to be wanted on the table by my gaming groups, repeatedly.

My research is usually in the form of reading and watching many reviews. I usually watch a game for a couple of years after it has come out to see how consistently 'good/average/bad' those reviews stay, or if there is any change.

Finally I also watch a game to see if it sells out. Then is reprinted, and I watch to see if it sells out again? Does it stay buyable/playable/ownable?

Sadly I have a few friends who do the whole kick-starter/pre-order thing. They rave about the latest trend in unknown game, we play it, forget it and are secretly glad it doesn't come back to the table...what a waste of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
I preorder some games to support the publisher/developer of the game. It's not uncommon for GMT games to have preorders since they use the P500 system to determine interest. Have I paid a little more than CSI for those - yes. Would some of the games ever get printed if they didn't do this - maybe, it all depends on the company and if they're willing to take a risk. Splotter takes risks and charges a pretty penny for their games, and I will continue to buy them because of the high quality of gaming they provide (regardless of the quality of the components) - but those are usually preordered through CSI or another OLGS.

For KS, I have done some in the past, but overall was not pleased with the outcome. That said, my preorders have dropped significantly and I don't anticipate doing many in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As someone fairly new to gaming, I tried the pre-order thing for a couple of games (Dead of Winter Included) and really don't like doing it and keep it to an absolute minimum.

For me, there are so many games I have yet to play that I don't really feel like I need to be an "early adopter" of a game that hasn't been released yet. I can find plenty to keep me busy.

I also prefer to wait until I can get find some decent reviews of a game, even playthroughs, to decide if I want the game at all. I have limited funds and time, and really only want to invest in games that I have a sense I will enjoy.

In addition, the pre-orders I have done have led to more frustration than excitement. Dead of Winter was pre-ordered in January and I am still waiting. I pre-ordered playmats for Marvel Dice Masters and the vendor has no idea when they will be available to ship. The major delay between order and receipt is one of the reasons I don't use Kickstarter either (in addition to the review issue mentioned above).

So ultimately it's both a practical decision for me and a lack of capacity for delayed gratification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, If you consider the typical crowd funding, I do preorder sometimes. With some other games I might consider it, but usually I'm fine with waiting for retail and then play and decide a buy after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this once or twice.. But never works out.. I was going to try kickstarter for the new zombicide does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-order games I really want, usually so I can guarantee that I get it, and also to secure it at a price that's right.

I don't always pre-order directly from the publisher, again, to secure it at the right price.

But I do have a short list of games I MUST have: GMT and MMP stuff mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Alien Uprising

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because customs charges would sodomise my wallet.

Would love to, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pre-order price is hilarious..

better wait after few months for massive discounts..

heck any game that you bought wont be played for months anyway (if ever)

look at your current unplayed and unopened game collection..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.