Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by this design. I say 'better judgement' because, while I'm a huge fan of ACW gaming in general, my preferred scale is brigade level and certainly not regimental (it is somewhat difficult to tell if this is indeed a regimental game or not tho...). While some systems can do an excellent job with regimental scale, (mainly because its used for much smaller battles; see Battles of the American Civil War), those which try to use the smaller scale to depict larger engagements tend to be massive in every area, especially rules, downtime, and the inevitable tedium resulting from such.

So when I see comments like these:

"...and everyone is going to really be astonished with the new system."

"This game will be a defining game that will allow historians, university classes and military gamers learn about and explore the pivotal battle of Gettysburg."

"This game system is very unique and deep,..."

"The game is deeper than almost any other Civil War game published, but the nuances are built into the system, not in ‘exception’ rules."

"The game utilizes no charts or dice. You can teach a new person how to play in under 5 minutes."

"The streamlined system also allows fast play, where players concentrate on strategy."

"The game can be played with 1 to 8 players and the decision cycle for each player is constant, with little to no down time."

"Our war game focus groups react to this game with incredulity, since you can learn the game in two minutes and do not have to look up rules."

I have to say my 'Incredulity Meter' maxes out. And this isn't because I have no faith in Uwe or Academy; I'm a big fan and have been very impressed with every offering from AG I've been exposed to thus far. This company's attention to meshing history, playability, and fun in their offerings has no equal.

It's just that this series will totally break the paradigm on tactical ACW designs, especially those which seek to portray large engagements at small scale. Indeed, if this project meets its design goals within Academy's stated design philosophy, such games might actually be...fun. laugh

If that isn't enough, the target market for this series consists of some of the most opinionated, contentious, arrogant, and vocal wargamers to ever sit down to a table.

Well, let's say my 'Admiration Meter' is also maxed out. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
let's put it that way, would you be interested if they had advertized something like:

"Game is pretty conventional, won't bring much anything new that hasn't already been done in the past. While being rather shallow in depth and taking more than several months to learn, you will not be able either to truly re-create the feel and look of Gettysburg."

You surely would have a winner, wouldn't you... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the game only covers Day 1, I will have to see some pictures of the final components and have a rulebook to read before backing. Game systems that only cover one-third of a battle need to be really promising.

I'm not singling out Academy Games, either, BTW. Longstreet Attacks: The Second Day at Gettysburg is another new game coming out that only covers a portion of the battlefield on a single day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"You surely would have a winner, wouldn't you..."

I hear you but there's a certain segment of the market that was going to give this title a hard look simply because it's a new game at a scale they prefer. Academy could have been satisfied with something like that but they put their own particular stamp on it in a big way.

I like that about them. cool

"Considering the game only covers Day 1,..."

True, 'Bloody Crossroads' only covers Day 1 at Gettysburg but The Fight for the Colors series is slated to tackle Days 2 ('Union in the Balance') and 3 ('High Tide') as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sokadr wrote:
"Considering the game only covers Day 1,..."

True, 'Bloody Crossroads' only covers Day 1 at Gettysburg but The Fight for the Colors series is slated to tackle Days 2 ('Union in the Balance') and 3 ('High Tide') as well.

Which is why it needs to be promising for me to jump on board . . . I'll doubtlessly want to buy them all if I buy one. I'm a completist that way, and an ACW junkie. This title is subscribed and will be followed closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you saying this game now actually exists and you can buy it?

I've just looked at there site and latest news is from 2012!!!
checking the games they seem to have a 2nd game added "fight over the round tops" so...

this games is actually being played by people while we speak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer

No the game is not yet ready to be published. Its still in design as certain changes were to be made to the system. All three days of the Battle will eventually have their own game....that's all I know at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you working on this? and may I assume this is deffinatly going to happen?

From what I've read so many years ago I understood the 3 seperate games will make one LARGE game, or have they given up on that and decided to simply go for seperate games.

If so that would be a pitty as sticking them together as one epic game, was one of the things that attracted me to it.

I wonder if the system will be useable and - if succesfull - will be used for other ACW battles.
Once you've got this up and running, that can't be much of a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is on for 2018 release
If On conflict of heroes type, will be fantastic.
I hope they get another on fog of war series they have soon.
Strike of the eagle is a hell of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread started 3 years ago.

Anyone out there who honestly believes this one is still going to happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes happening
Friend recently (June 2017)contacted Uwe, said it is coming in 2018.
Have Vikings in August and 2nd day will be next.
Diceless ,Regimental, high quality Components ... AND most accurate strength, morale and leadership ratings ever seen.
Well I added that very end , just to get the juices flowing.
You will play the game over and over, like 1775, 1812, 1754, Strike of the Eagel,Freedom, and the new Vikings game, which was a hit atConvention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it sounds to good to be true.............................

Still hoping it will happen.... some day, but won't hold my breath for this one.

I have a feeling that in a year from now we'll both be here and you'll be telling me it will come late 2019 and I'll again be thinking..shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.