Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 player game with Roselyn (Pres, cylon from the beginning), Lee Adama (Pilot, CAG), Cally, Kain (Admiral, cylon at sleeper phase), Chief Tyrol. Played with bits of all 3 expansions: Cylon fleet board, Pegasus, mutineer cards (but not mutineer) and most of the new skill cards.

Both of the cylons were first time players, and the other three are all fairly seasoned players (CAG has only played a couple times). With Roselyn choosing between two crisis cards every turn, you would think we would have been decimated, but she slow played it so well that no one ever suspected until the very end. She also played quorum cards that were effective on occasion, although she was sitting on a large hand of cards that would have been very useful.

At the sleeper phase, none of the resources were in the red! When Kain got the cylon in the sleeper phase, the player was horrible at hiding it, and immediately threw Cally in the brig by throwing his whole hand in, and getting lucky with the cards from destiny. Managed to get 11, so Cally went out the airlock.

Of course, that means that on the next turn, Kain went into the brig as well. This was probably the biggest tactical blunder the cylons made, but considering how bad the player was at hiding it, it wasn't totally unreasonable. The good news was that it focussed all our attention on the revealed cylon, and since whoever the other cylon was, was slow playing very much, it made it easy for her to sabotage the occasional vote.

We went from nothing in the red to all of the resources in the red after the next jump! The good news was, after Kain was revealed, we had Adama at the helm (the player that was Cally). We were 99% sure he was human, but were very much baffled by who might be the other cylon. The next jump was a choice of two 1-jump cards. NOOOoooooo! So we jumped to distance 7. At that point we had all resources very low, two cylon boarders, and a decent sized cylon fleet about to jump in on us. Things didn't look good....

The only resource we could really spare, was pop. I was lucky enough to draw the blue card that let me move the jump track up one additional space, and got a jump prep on my crisis. We ate that crisis, losing one more morale. The president then chose a horrible crisis card on her turn, which is when it finally dawned on me that she was likely the other cylon. it almost worked, but we sacrificed another population, the next player XO'd me, and I activated the FTL, risking 3 pop (we had 5 at that point).

I think that was my first successful dice roll the whole game....we ended with 5 pop.

I think the cylons could have played a bit better (they had two boarders and the active cylon should have really pushed those), but even then, they nearly won the game.

I love the tension this game creates, and when the president revealed at the end it was spectacular...even though she lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's never worth executing human players as a Cylon... Cain should have held onto the admiralty and done more damage that way.

It's why executions are kinda silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
It's never worth executing human players as a Cylon... Cain should have held onto the admiralty and done more damage that way.

This boils down to playstyles. Some people are just awful at hiding themselves. Otherwise, you'd need to weigh how much damage you can do while still staying hidden as a cylon admiral, vs. doing a very direct strike for solid damage that soft reveals you.

Executions can be worth it if it checks off a bunch of things that need to be fixed in as few actions as possible:
-strip a cylon of the presidency
-limit his power (brigging doesn't remove the president title, and using either version of Admin requires an extra action + cards, or 2 actions with Daybreak's version
-prevent the use of his special and OPG
-force him to discard his skill cards
-keep him from activating locations that can be harmful

Otherwise, we've certainly had our cases where it's better to just Brig him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You only mentioned when you reached 7 distance. What was the next destination? Did you make the final jump after that, or did you end the game at 8 distance?

A great game anyway, from the sound of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, when I read the title of this review, I thought about
Claus
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
.. fan
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:

Given that Cain was known (or at least strongly suspected) to be a Cylon, her options were:

- Reveal and get her reveal power.
- Attempt some form of immediate sabotage.
- Brig Cally and have a good chance of being executed before her next turn.
- Execute Cally and cost the humans 1 Morale, some skill cards and a Miracle.

Hanging onto to Admiral title was not an option, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cain should probably have not exercised the Intolerant ability and instead sent a player to the brig. She could have sent Cally to the brig to avoid being executed (which, if you know the mechanics of the game really well: being executed can help a Cylon player. In this case, if I were the Cain Player, I would have brigged the pilot or the President--depending on who I expected was Human. However, the circumstances will vary.)

It's really not a big deal if Cally executes Cain. It helps Cain reveal early without wasting her turn. (Even more of a boon if playing with all Expansions since Exodus and Pegasus rendered Super Crises moot. People point out that the Executed cylon loses their skill cards, but if you're playing with Exodus your path to victory does not come from sabotaging skill checks: skill cards in cylon players hands are less important with the fleet board.)

In fact, when it comes around to dealing with Cain. It's best if players brig her instead of executing her (so she doesn't get the benefit of an early revealed cylon action). Executions are just NOT at all intuitive.

The only person I'd ever consider executing as Cylon Cally is Cain. Her OPG is far too pro human: I usually ask her if she plans on using her Blind Jump to determine her loyalty. If she's a human, I feel forced to soft reveal execute her. (To avoid this scenario, I avoid playing with Pegasus/Exodus entirely. Having both characters in the game is annoying and let's face it: how often do your guys' games go without Cally and/or Cain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
how often do your guys' games go without Cally and/or Cain?

Most of the time.

And most games with Cally there are no executions, from Cally or otherwise.

Back on topic: Brigging Roslin would be the best for a cylon player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Kwijiboe wrote:
how often do your guys' games go without Cally and/or Cain?

Most of the time.

And most games with Cally there are no executions, from Cally or otherwise.

Back on topic: Brigging Roslin would be the best for a cylon player.

I agree. This was the player's first time in the game, though. I think he went after the Cally player for 2 reasons: first, that player was the one most directly suspicious, and second, because of Cally's OPG ability.

We did make the 8 distance jump + one more. If we had Earth as the objective, the cylons would have won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
People point out that the Executed cylon loses their skill cards, but if you're playing with Exodus your path to victory does not come from sabotaging skill checks: skill cards in cylon players hands are less important with the fleet board.)
We're not saying you should always execute a cylon to rid their skill cards just because you can. However, if the game is low on Morale, skill cards are often a good way to win on that since more cards in the crisis deck go after Morale. And yes, this is even in games with Exodus. I've played dozens and dozens of games with Exodus and CFB and have seen enough games to be lost on Morale. The CFB doesn't swallow up morale, making population and damage the threat (although given there were folks new to this game, that probably could've been the case if they didn't focus on any of that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
Cain should probably have not exercised the Intolerant ability and instead sent a player to the brig. She could have sent Cally to the brig to avoid being executed (which, if you know the mechanics of the game really well: being executed can help a Cylon player. In this case, if I were the Cain Player, I would have brigged the pilot or the President--depending on who I expected was Human. However, the circumstances will vary.)

It would delay her execution, not prevent it - next turn, Cain is sent to the Brig. If Cally doesn't kill Cain, then humans are up 1 morale and got to keep what was left of Cally's hand, in exchange for having a probable human in the Brig.

It could be argued either way, but putting pressure on resources rather than slowing the game down and reducing the pressure would be my call most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.