Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Ortus Regni» Forums » News

Subject: Moving forward with getting the game to gamers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see that Jon has offered to produce the game to backers of the Kickstarter campaign. I am glad he has stuck to his vision and is producing a game with high quality components instead of packaging a stripped down version for mass production. I look forward to adding this to my collection of unique games and hopefully be able to have some 6-player games!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was already produced before the kickstarter. That is why all talk of changing components was moot. He had already ordered production and was seeking funding for the digital version through the kickstarter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I went in on the 4 player version. I highly doubt I will get six to play at one time!

-Ski
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin F
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I went in on the 4 player version. I highly doubt I will get six to play at one time!

-Ski


Same, though I am eager to delve into it. Seems like it has a lot of meat on the bones.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
Nice to see that Jon has offered to produce the game to backers of the Kickstarter campaign. I am glad he has stuck to his vision and is producing a game with high quality components instead of packaging a stripped down version for mass production. I look forward to adding this to my collection of unique games and hopefully be able to have some 6-player games!


A leather bag and a wooden card holder hardly make the game 'high quality'. A more packaging/market friendly version would have enabled a lot more gamers access to this game. The postage was also frankly ridiculous to Europe.

I think its a shame that pointless component chrome stopped this game getting greater exposure. An international friendly version with no holder or bag for example and a tuck box would have increased sales/exposure significantly. I live in a country surrounded by history. In fact my office looks over the Royal Pavilion in Brighton, I really don't agree that the components would have added so much more to the game theme that without them it would have been 'stripped' down. As much as I don't think anyone needs to wear pantaloons, a tricorn and a tailcoat to enjoy a visit to the Royal Pavilion.

I do think all this talk of 'vision' is a bit pretentious.
3 
 Thumb up
0.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamecat_uk wrote:


I think its a shame that pointless component chrome stopped this game getting greater exposure. An international friendly version with no holder or bag for example and a tuck box would have increased sales/exposure significantly. I live in a country surrounded by history. In fact my office looks over the Royal Pavilion in Brighton, I really don't agree that the components would have added so much more to the game theme that without them it would have been 'stripped' down. As much as I don't think anyone needs to wear pantaloons, a tricorn and a tailcoat to enjoy a visit to the Royal Pavilion.

I do think all this talk of 'vision' is a bit pretentious.


Regardless, this was going to be a niche game and people were either going to "get it" or not. So, even if it had a more affordable price point, I doubt that many more copies would have sold. This game got a mixed reaction from the start. I was willing for fork out some extra money because the game intrigues me as will others who find the game interesting.

-Ski

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
gamecat_uk wrote:


I think its a shame that pointless component chrome stopped this game getting greater exposure. An international friendly version with no holder or bag for example and a tuck box would have increased sales/exposure significantly. I live in a country surrounded by history. In fact my office looks over the Royal Pavilion in Brighton, I really don't agree that the components would have added so much more to the game theme that without them it would have been 'stripped' down. As much as I don't think anyone needs to wear pantaloons, a tricorn and a tailcoat to enjoy a visit to the Royal Pavilion.

I do think all this talk of 'vision' is a bit pretentious.


Regardless, this was going to be a niche game and people were either going to "get it" or not. So, even if it had a more affordable price point, I doubt that many more copies would have sold. This game got a mixed reaction from the start. I was willing for fork out some extra money because the game intrigues me as will others who find the game interesting.

-Ski



I would, but when postage is more than the (rather expensive) cost of the game it's just ridiculous. I don't think it would have been as niche as you think. Even without iconography it would have intrigued enough people to punt say $30 or so especially from Europe where I see a big market as the cards are not language dependent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I reiterate. This is Sparta!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this tonight and I am certainly glad he went the extra mile on the components. It's not just "a couple card holders and a leather bag". It's EVERYTHING about the game that is high quality. The cards, the bag, the player aids, the box, the insert and even the paper the RULES BOOK is printed on. If you aren't in for all the extreme niceness, you can go to his website and download the print and play.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Player elimination? Yep.
Bash the leader? Yep.
Kingmaking? Yep.
Hard to teach? Yep.
Random elements? Yep.
Wildly variable play times? Yep.
Do I love this game? Yep.
Ortus Regni is beautiful and immersive. And while it clearly has elements that many today would consider "outdated game design" the choices all fit the theme perfectly. I commend the designer's vision to create a truly immersive experience.

Throw in the incredible component quality that spares no expense, and this is a very special game indeed. And for $45 you could probably resell it for just its materials cost and make a profit.

Full video review is uploading to YouTube now.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.