Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope to see you at the Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1459655047/hostage-nego...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope asking here is the appropriate place: With the PnP level, are the files supplied after the Campaign finishes? I really like the idea of trying it out before I commit.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Backer number 37. In a row?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Backed....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Williams
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Backer number 37. In a row?

I see what you did there. You made a generalization about broads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
historygamer89 wrote:
I hope asking here is the appropriate place: With the PnP level, are the files supplied after the Campaign finishes? I really like the idea of trying it out before I commit.

Thanks!

PnP files will be posted tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was really excited for this, but I'm not interested in paying $20 shipping for a $20 game.

There are many ks that offer games with $0-$10 international shipping for bigger and heavier games.

Disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:
Was really excited for this, but I'm not interested in paying $20 shipping for a $20 game.

There are many ks that offer games with $0-$10 international shipping for bigger and heavier games.

Disappointed.

There is an international backer option to get the cards and Tableau shipped worldwide for $20 all in. If you can provide dice and a few pieces this is all you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I saw that, but that "solution" is just not for me I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How do we get the PnP files if we backed $5+? Will it be in the backer update section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
How do we get the PnP files if we backed $5+? Will it be in the backer update section?

Yes, Print and Play preview is posted now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:

Ok no problem. Sorry Connor, unfortunately international shipping is expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please tell me how to access the print and play files once you have backed this? Is it just an e-mail link? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christianv wrote:
Can someone please tell me how to access the print and play files once you have backed this? Is it just an e-mail link? Thanks!

See the first update (only available for backers). This is a limited PnP version that only has one abductor whereas the full game (and the PnP level) will have more. The full PnP will somehow be made available after the campaign has completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:

Congrats! The game is now funded .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Backed. I haven't been this excited about a game for a long time - looks great. Love the idea of the abductor packs too !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Garside
United Kingdom
Andover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed! I've gone for the POD option but would definitely be interested in the Abductor packs if they become available via POD too. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:
Ok no problem. Sorry Connor, unfortunately international shipping is expensive.

Not trying to start a huge discussion, but that response seems kinda lazy to me. There are literally tons and tons of US-based KS campaigns that offer bigger and heavier games with far cheaper shipping, either looking into shipping from within the EU (for example through Amazon). That is, if you really cared about getting International backers, you could have done some research like many project creaters do nowadays, like Stonemaier Games for example or TMG games. Recent projects from those two feature similar boxes like Hostage Negotiator probably will, I assume, and Stonemaier Games' Treasure Chest had $8 international shipping and TMG's Harbour $6. While TMG may be considered a bigger and already established company, Stonemaier imo isn't. And those are just from the top of my mind from the last month.

Offering backers incomplete games as a "solution" feels to me, like a slap in my face. Like I'm being punished for liking the game and wanting to support it, just because I live in Europe. For example, what about the stretch goals upgrades for the dice? Those won't be included either?

If you are not interested in finding ways for cheaper International shipping, I assume if I get multiple copies the price for shipping will be the same? Let's say, me and 3 other friends want a copy, it would be $80 for the games and one time $20 for shipping?

I would like to add, English is not my main language and I'm not trying to sound angry or rude. I am just disappointed and your response kinda felt like saying "Well shipping is expensive, so deal with it" to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Bracegirdle of Hardbottle
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed. Congratulations on being funded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Nielsen
Denmark
Viborg
flag msg tools
If you wish for peace, prepare for war!
badge
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Khonnor, I hear you.

I backed at the $40 level for the game + If im going down...(since the shipping is then $25 but now divided on 2 games, which makes it more tolerable) but I will likely drop it unless I am assured that the games will ship from within the EU (like many other campaigns/games do), mostly to avoid VAT/customs.

Also not angry or trying to be rude, just stating the facts. I would actually love to own both games, so I am probably willing to pay the high price for shipping, though no exclusives means I might save by waiting and picking up the game (maybe even second hand) after it launches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
Parabellum76 wrote:
+1 Khonnor, I hear you.

I backed at the $40 level for the game + If im going down...(since the shipping is then still $20 but now divided on 2 games, which makes it more tolerable) but I will likely drop it unless I am assured that the games will ship from within the EU (like many other campaigns/games do), mostly to avoid VAT/customs.

Also not angry or trying to be rude, just stating the facts. I would actually love to own both games, so I am probably willing to pay the high price for shipping, though no exclusives means I might save by waiting and picking up the game (maybe even second hand) after it launches.

I wonder though if the games that do have the "ships from EU" option are larger market games. This is a solo game after all, so that limited the reach to the gaming community.

It might just be a problem with volume.

While for me the provide your own dice/tokens would be a perfect solution for international shipping, I can see how a few would not like it.

I give the designer the benefit of the doubt here... If it were financially possible to do it, I'm sure he would. It's simple a matter of economics.

Kevin is correct. When you are Stonemaier games and you make $X00,000 on your game this is a no brainer. For me, I wasn't even sure if we'd fund.

I can promise you my intention is not for anyone to feel "slapped". It is to give people options. Some people seem to find value in the International money saver option. Doesn't sound like it is for you. Ok.

If you've watched Ricky's video I can tell you he only got the cards and tableau and not sure what you think, but I think it looks great. That in no way is me saying that not getting the box and everything isn't better, it is, but some can do without it.

You don't seem to ever mention the fact that their is a bulk option if you can do a local group buy you can all get the game for $19. (10 x $15 + $40 for shipping).

Additional info I posted in the other thread that is worth reposting here:

Here is what you will need to provide for yourself at the $20 International Money saver level.

5 - six sided dice
15 - cubes, pennies, or pieces of any kind for hostages
1 - cube, penny, or piece for a threat marker
1 - cube, penny, or piece for a conversation point marker
Print out of the PDF rules

You get all the cards and the tableau. It will come in a mailed box, but just a generic box, but it has a fold down top and is good for storing the game.

Additionally I have set up bulk levels to try to alleviate the shipping for internationals. A group buy of 10 pack lands everyone the game at $19 after shipping a piece which is actually less than backers can get a single game in the U.S.

Currently all of the stretch goals are component upgrades which will not effect this level, but if an when there are content upgrades including the potential 'Negotiator Pack' the $20 international saver level will get whatever cards are added. Additionally anyone adding any or all Abductor Packs will not pay any additional shipping for those.

I've tried my best to alleviate the issue of international shipping which we all know is very expensive. Thanks for the interest in Hostage Negotiator!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:

I agree. It seems slightly suspect when the cost of both levels are exactly the same minus shipping.

It suggests that the money paid for international shipping doesn't entirely go towards the shipping...

I don't see how changing the box and taking away what seems to be very few components could affect the price to such a degree.

I could be wrong, I'm no expert, but this seems to particularly EU unfriendly. It's a shame as I actually found this thread because I was seriously considering backing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kossoff wrote:
Khonnor wrote:

I agree. It seems slightly suspect when the cost of both levels are exactly the same minus shipping.

It suggests that the money paid for international shipping doesn't entirely go towards the shipping...

I don't see how changing the box and taking away what seems to be very few components could affect the price to such a degree.

I could be wrong, I'm no expert, but this seems to particularly EU unfriendly. It's a shame as I actually found this thread because I was seriously considering backing.

I don't know the designer, but accusing him of gouging you for shipping so he can make a few extra bucks is a low blow that flies in the face of supporting and empathizing with small indie publishers. Outfits like Tasty Minstrel and Stonemeier sell enough units that they can get bulk shipping discounts, ship from within the EU, print enough games to bring the cost per unit down enough that shipping discounts are viable, and take advantage of all kinds of other tricks to get their games to international backers at a discount. This project can't take advantage of any of that, yet you want special treatment to the point where the publisher would likely lose money on each international sale.

Shipping things from the US to the EU is expensive. The bulk shipping discount likely exists because there are some flat-rate options that are not viable if you're shipping one or two items, but cost-effective if you're stuffing a bunch of things into the box. That's a far more likely explanation than the ones I've seen here, which are frankly insulting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a little extreme to accuse me of not supporting the world of hard working independent game developers, but I would definitely suggest more clarity is needed because in comparison to other Kickstarters it seems like a raw deal for EU supporters.

The fact I said I wanted to back the game and expressed disappointment at feeling like I couldn't should suggest the opposite... I wanted to support this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think the better solution would have been not to include that option. Those of us who feel this way still wouldn't have backed the game due the the expensive shipping, but I doubt we would have felt short changed.

Being a small publisher is a brave and fantastic thing to do, and (from me at least) it means paying slightly more for things can be overlooked due to the issues mentioned previously. However, we shouldn't forget that we are still consumers and sometimes it is hard to overlook things that seem to go too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.