Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All are great games. You won't go wrong with any. Le Havre is the best, imo, but only for exactly 3 players.

In case you care, RR and Le Havre the least randomness. Le Havre has a fair bit of randomness during the setup, whereas RR barely has any.

You're really at the margins comparing these games. Flip a coin (twice) and be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre although I enjoy it through the range of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I also say to go for the game that has stood the greater test of time, in this case, Le Havre. Five years later, people still play it, will the same be said of those other games?

Although if I had to pick one WP game, I would pick Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those four, I've only played Snowdownia and Le Havre and greatly prefer the latter. I've had good times with it with 2, 3, and 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Snowdonia out of the three, but I'd also suggest The Manhattan Project for a good WP game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have really been enjoying Bruxelles. Since we've gotten it, Russian Railroads has stayed on the shelf, actually. We enjoy the variable action board set up the game provides. It does feel very Feld-ian in its execution which may be good or bad depending upon your tastes. The art nouveau style of the game and the different historical figures in the game exist as a loose theme which really doesn't have any bearing on the gameplay itself (aka it's a Euro game in the truest sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of Uwe games, and I have yet to play Snowdonia (though I want to). But I own both RR and Bruxelles. Here are my thoughts:

Russian Railroads is really more of a scoring system, with a preliminary worker placement mechanic attached to the front of it. Seriously, the points escalation is cray-cray. Mechanically speaking, the WP aspect is very straightforward and intuitive, but it's trying to figure out the best optimization for the insane, zany ways you score points that makes the game fun. Having said that, the variability is there, but not in droves. The engineers will vary, but otherwise the game is a bit prescribed. For some, this is welcomed (myself included). Others may want more variety in their game play. I couldn't tell you how may plays you'd get out of it before that feeling might start to settle in, I just know that that is not an uncommon criticism of the game.

Bruxelles 1893 IS very Feld-ian, I agree. The neat thing about Bruxelles is the way everything is interconnected. There are multiple viable strategies, and the interface (component production, iconography, moving parts) is all very well thought out. There aren't any fiddly bits or rules exceptions. So even though there is a lot going on, it all feels remarkably smooth nonetheless. It has some very clever and unique mechanisms, like the interactive market and the dial for setting the production costs. Lots of crunchy decision to make, and then lots of crunchy choices after those decisions get made. Personally, this is one of my top games of late.

Hope this helps some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Bruxelles, the "Architecture/History plays about as much a part in the design as you might expect theme to be "present" in a Stefan Feld design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this fits exactly for what you want, but one of my favorite worker placement games lately has been Coal Baron. I don't think it's as heavy as the other games you've mentioned, but I've been very satisfied with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 4, Le Havre every time. Russian Railroads comes close, but isn't really a touch on Le Havre.

Bruxelles is an OK, but I found myself just wishing I was playing Keyflower instead. Both games attempt to bring together worker placement and auctions, Keyflower is elegant and beautiful, whilst Bruxelles feels like a heath robinson machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
Bruxelles is an OK, but I found myself just wishing I was playing Keyflower instead. Both games attempt to bring together worker placement and auctions, Keyflower is elegant and beautiful, whilst Bruxelles feels like a heath robinson machine.

I feel the opposite. I sold my copy of Keyflower without much regret. To each his own. (which is why I generally think threads like this aren't very useful--much easier to just look at the aggregate ratings)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Curt suggested flipping a coin. I agree. And if your unhappy with the result. Eliminate that game and flip again. Flipping a coin is good for both choosing and making your brain feel pressured to stick with something you thought you might prefer only to make you realize that you had a preference all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
Of the 4, Le Havre every time. Russian Railroads comes close, but isn't really a touch on Le Havre.

And I feel the opposite. I really disliked Le Havre every time I played it. I've only played Russion Railroads once, but I liked it a lot (still not my favorite WP game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
DAAAN wrote:

I feel the opposite. I sold my copy of Keyflower without much regret. To each his own. (which is why I generally think threads like this aren't very useful--much easier to just look at the aggregate ratings)

I think aggregate ratings are even more useless. Reviews are (to me) much more important, as long as the reviewer is good about explicitly stating why they like or dislike something.

I've found on more than one occasion, that I've bought game based on what someone said they didn't like, because that's the sort of thing I do....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.