Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Rochford
United States
Summerfield
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently own DC Deckbuilding and am looking at Heroes Unite for the expansion capabilities. The question I have is how do you play with both lineup sets? I would think you would need a Vegas shoe horn to play with that many cards! Any input is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agen7_0range wrote:
I currently own DC Deckbuilding and am looking at Heroes Unite for the expansion capabilities. The question I have is how do you play with both lineup sets? I would think you would need a Vegas shoe horn to play with that many cards! Any input is appreciated.

What we do is deconstruct both decks into their card type piles: heroes, villains, equipment, superpowers, & locations.

We then thoroughly shuffle each type pile together and split them into Deck 1 and Deck 2. The only exception we make is locations-- we don't shuffle those and instead keep the two different flavors of locations. (We just like it better with the locations flavors separated.) So we end up with two complete decks that can play with.

We do this little shuffle dance every couple weeks to keep the decks fresh and unpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to search the threads, but I've been using a combined deck that someone came up with that uses half of the cards. I've found that it gives a happy mix of new and old every game and their deck composition is balanced by card type and cost as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I just play each game separately. I may decide to "mix and match" them later, though, by replacing a whole category with the same category from the other game (location, heroes, equipment, superpowers, villains).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agen7_0range wrote:

We've played this one several times and it works great.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101196/use-both-sets-w...

It uses all the cards from both sets and has the same feel of just playing with the 1 base game. I think I prefer to play this way than with just 1 set now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. One of the main attractions of this game is its simplicity in setup and takedown. Any variant that strays too far from that just doesn't appeal to me. I looked around at threads I had posted in and I am pretty sure this is the plan I went with : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1136694/combining-sets-m...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Meh. One of the main attractions of this game is its simplicity in setup and takedown. Any variant that strays too far from that just doesn't appeal to me. I looked around at threads I had posted in and I am pretty sure this is the plan I went with : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1136694/combining-sets-m...

I just read that thread, and that variant looks fun. I'll try it out. Thanks for reposting!

(I have to laugh a little though that you cite it as an example of simplicity. It's got its own kind complexity.) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There IS a certain bit of complexity when you first create the main deck, but once you do, you're done. Very easy to deal with game after game after that.

Oh, and while this really has nothing to do with combining the sets, the other rules quirk I always play with now is to give every player two heroes. It seems to make things a little more interesting so that you're not so focused on collecting one type most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rochford
United States
Summerfield
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great conversation, thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We play everything. The length of the game is simply determined by how many Super-villains we play. In fact, recently, we didn't have a lot of time before the centre closed, so we played 4 Super-villains! We have also tried playing Super-villains in order of cost, so that Felix Faust didn't come up too soon in the game. (Highest score in a two-player game is over 400!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
We play everything. The length of the game is simply determined by how many Super-villains we play. In fact, recently, we didn't have a lot of time before the centre closed, so we played 4 Super-villains!

Word. Since I play this mostly with my 4 year old, we usually only use 1 super villain, so it's a race to get him. If there's time we can always play another game against another SV afterwards. It would blow his mind if we had to play against 8 in one game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Jones
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuzusdad wrote:
Agen7_0range wrote:

We've played this one several times and it works great.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101196/use-both-sets-w...

It uses all the cards from both sets and has the same feel of just playing with the 1 base game. I think I prefer to play this way than with just 1 set now.

This is the one I play with a friend from work and we love it. It makes all the combos available but also makes it easier to screw over your opponent by destroying cards they want in the other line up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.