Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
The events in this game take place in June 1940. The USA were not at war at that particular moment. Still US units play a significant role in the fighting. Where do the Yanks come from and what are they doing in Great Britain in early June 1940?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were there on holiday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
...what are they doing in Great Britain in early June 1940?

They are part of an expeditionary force (just like the BEF) whose sole raison d'être is to give American Customers a reason to buy the game.

Jim... whistle

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will perhaps recall that, following the devastating air campaign against Britain during early May 1940, FDR responded to a personal appeal by Churchill to send troops to bolster British defences. Unfortunately, events moved very quickly and only the first wave units were in place by the time of the German invasion on 8th June. Some of those American troops were barracked close to Birkham Stokes, which proved fortunate for the village, although, as circumstances turned out, not fortunate enough.

I believe that many of those forces fought a determined rear guard action to protect the remaining assets of His Majesty's armed forces in their withdrawal into the Scottish Highlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

Derek is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
You will perhaps recall that, following the devastating air campaign against Britain during early May 1940, FDR responded to a personal appeal by Churchill to send troops to bolster British defences. Unfortunately, events moved very quickly and only the first wave units were in place by the time of the German invasion on 8th June. Some of those American troops were barracked close to Birkham Stokes, which proved fortunate for the village, although, as circumstances turned out, not fortunate enough.

I believe that many of those forces fought a determined rear guard action to protect the remaining assets of His Majesty's armed forces in their withdrawal into the Scottish Highlands.
Stupid me, how could I have forgotten that. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.