Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Word Processing Help Needed [Hivemind] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
To me, a perfect storm would be one which rains down Reddi-Wip and cherries.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of print-on-demand projects I’m working on, and I need some advice on two formatting problems.

The first problem involves several booklets ranging in size from 18 - 54 pages each. I can take my current completed text and convert them from MS Word .docx into a .pdf, but I would really like to format these with gutters so they can be three-hole punched after printing, and the holes won’t eat into the text area. That’s something you apparently can’t do in Word.

I have Word Office 2007, and I thought Publisher would allow for gutters, but I can’t seem to find the proper format. (I’ve never worked with Publisher, so I’m unfamiliar with its capabilities.) I also have LibreOffice installed, but, again, can’t find anything there about gutters.

Does anyone know where/how I can add gutters to a Word document, or what free, downloadable writing/printing package will allow me to import the Word file to do this?

Second problem: I have a long, multi-page table to insert into one of the booklets, but it needs to be rotated 90 degrees so that when the left-hand margin of the open booklet is on top, the table runs downwards across both pages. In other words, the table is like the Playboy centerfold, running one direction while the rest of the booklet text is normal. There are five “sections” of the long table, and each section will cover two pages of the booklet.

Does anyone know how to include a “sideways” table or text segment into a normal Word document? Would “text boxes” work?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but...

If you copy a table from Excel or wherever you have it, go to Edit...Paste special instead of just pasting it in there. Paste it as an image (GDI metafile? I only have OpenOffice here and can't check). You can then treat it as just an image and rotate it accordingly without messing it up. You should also be able to import a "three hole punch" template. Here's a thread I found on it: https://forums.adobe.com/message/4059751
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I googled "word 2007 gutter" and got a cornucopia of results. On my copy of Word 2010, which is pretty similar to 2007 in many respects, the Gutters are set on the Margins tab of the Page Setup dialog:

There doesn't seem to be a neat, out-of-the-box way to quickly rotate a table, but here's a page offering some different approaches. Some look like more work than others, you may need to experiment a bit. One of the suggestions does involve text boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="JoelCFC25"]I googled "word 2007 gutter" and got a cornucopia of results. On my copy of Word 2010, which is pretty similar to 2007 in many respects, the Gutters are set on the Margins tab of the Page Setup dialog:

[image snipped]

Yeah, I found that not ten minutes after posting. For some reason searching the word "gutter" didn't find anything in my Word 2007 Help file, which is why I posted here. I Googled and found this link:

http://wordribbon.tips.net/T009037_Understanding_the_Gutter_...

which showed exactly where it was. Next time, Google first.

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a neat, out-of-the-box way to quickly rotate a table, but here's a page offering some different approaches. Some look like more work than others, you may need to experiment a bit. One of the suggestions does involve text boxes.

I'll try that and see what I find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Second problem: I have a long, multi-page table to insert into one of the booklets, but it needs to be rotated 90 degrees so that when the left-hand margin of the open booklet is on top, the table runs downwards across both pages. In other words, the table is like the Playboy centerfold, running one direction while the rest of the booklet text is normal. There are five “sections” of the long table, and each section will cover two pages of the booklet.
If the tables are whole pages, or if you don't mind them being on separate pages to the text, you can add a section break (next page) and change the page layout to landscape for the table pages and then another section break (next page) and back to portrait for the rest of the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I tried the text box method and it won't quite work. I got the text box in place, got it rotated properly, then I tried to drop in one page of the table (8 pages total), but I got a warning that "Tables cannot be placed in text boxes".

I also made an attempt at doing the different sections method, but that won't allow me to continue the page numbering across the table pages. So, I think that's out unless there's no other way.

I was wondering if I could convert the table to .pdf and drop each page into a text box. I'm thinking I'll have to break the table up into individual Word pages, then convert each page separately into .pdf format. Does anyone know if text boxes accept .pdf? Or will I need try to convert each page into .jpg and insert as a picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.