Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all.

I was trying out the mechanic's garage map with basement today and hit an unclear part in the rules. (Either that, or I missed the part that cleared it up! )

I had an explosion in the basement (Well, two actually, but never mind.) blow a hole in the floor of the main board. Now, the rules say that when an explosion from the basement blows a hole in the floor any smoke or fire in the main board space is removed. And then flashover, etc, etc.

The rules say what to do if there is another explosion in that same basement space, but they don't say what to do if the space above the breach explodes.

That got me wondering if that space, now sans floor, either can't catch on fire again or there's some sentence somewhere that says what to do with it.

I handled it by treating it kinda like a staircase explosion, where the fire spread on the main floor normally and the shockwave also went down into the basement. Since that space was already (still) on fire, I figured it stopped there.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:
The rules say what to do if there is another explosion in that same basement space, but they don't say what to do if the space above the breach explodes.

There can be no explosion in the space above- there can be no fire, since it is just a hole. The rules say that if you roll a hole for fire advance your die roll "falls through the floor" and you resolve the fire advance in the basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.K., that's the way I'll play it.

The rules (from Extreme Danger, anyway) don't seem exactly clear on that, though.

Section F of the basement rules only mentions POI falling through when the destroyed space is rolled. To my reading, it doesn't say anything about targets for fire spread rolls. Maybe if the sentence was something like "If the Destroyed Floor space is rolled as the target space for [Advance Fire or] POI replacement..."

If you decide to do more basement boards (Please decide to do more basement boards! Maybe a basement apartment or a garage/rec room so we've got another place to use the car!) maybe you might want to clarify a smidge.

I'm not nitpicking, I've just gotten good at looking for rules ambiguities.

Thank you for such a quick answer, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
BozemanPhil wrote:

There can be no explosion in the space above- there can be no fire, since it is just a hole. The rules say that if you roll a hole for fire advance your die roll "falls through the floor" and you resolve the fire advance in the basement.

That must have been dropped from the English rules. There is no mention of what to do for advance fire rolls, but there is mentions for everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadious wrote:
That must have been dropped from the English rules.

You are right. The text above describes the intended rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.