Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5gajzxYkWM

That was one of my favorite videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, again! My near term biggies right now are DVG's NIMITZ, CEW's FGSP43:EF, and Columbia's VIE. Also, GMT's FOF:Vol-II and EOTS are out there on the horizon. It's all good.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I matched with Bart on COH:GC and Greg on Churchill. You can't beat having top line talent like a ball-capped, goateed Rob Lowe doing nerdy humor. Except by having Harold Ramis and Roger Ebert holding down the other end of that MHium filled balloon.

[Edits: added CEW's FGSP43:EF, cleaned up some typos. Probably will find more...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Up Front? Really?

My guess is these lists aren't particularly scientific..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had absolutely no interest in Fields of Fire because of the horrible rule book, but with all of the player aids out there, I'm getting interested in it.

EotS is going to rule. When you get it, put it at the top of your priority list and take advantage of all of the player aids and videos aimed at helping new players. If all games had such support, I would be playing a lot more complicated games than I do. You'll love EotS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WackyBanana wrote:
No Up Front? Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WackyBanana wrote:
No Up Front? Really?

Scientific? Nahhh. Just good nerdy humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I had absolutely no interest in Fields of Fire because of the horrible rule book, but with all of the player aids out there, I'm getting interested in it.

EotS is going to rule. When you get it, put it at the top of your priority list and take advantage of all of the player aids and videos aimed at helping new players. If all games had such support, I would be playing a lot more complicated games than I do. You'll love EotS.

Yah, I'm sold on EOTS from all the posted materials. Surprisingly, Calandale's videos got me to look at in more depth, but it was the HAMTAG pick's by you and Greg that got me to look at his video. You earned the P-War! Maybe Greg should get something as your supporting role! Actually I find I align with Greg's picks the most.

I haven't played FOF, but like the unique concepts, expect some second volume improvements, and hey Marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ncree wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Yah, I'm sold on EOTS from all the posted materials. Surprisingly, Calandale's videos got me to look at in more depth, but it was the HAMTAG pick's by you and Greg that got me to look at his video. You earned the P-War! Maybe Greg should get something as your supporting role! Actually I find I align with Greg's picks the most.

I haven't played FOF, but like the unique concepts, expect some second volume improvements, and hey Marines.

Ooh rah!

I really really wish Up Front would come out. I want to get the Avalon Hill version. If the new one would come out, I figure I could get the AH version for $40 instead of $90. But since that's probably not going to happen, it looks like FoF might be the best successor to Up Front and it's solitaire. Greg taught me Up Front -- look likes he's making us all spend money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WackyBanana wrote:
No Up Front? Really?

I've got my copy, with Banzai and Desert War. I don't care about the re-release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GS in KS wrote:
WackyBanana wrote:
No Up Front? Really?

I've got my copy, with Banzai and Desert War. I don't care about the re-release.

I am missing Desert War. Reproducing it wouldn't be a problem. I would like to have all those other nationalities, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was a little surprised to see The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 over Target for Today, though I'll admit to having preordered the Hunters as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific war buy Nuts! Anyone??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Tianen
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Judd, I share your enthusiasm for the work of Mark Herman, but for somebody who aspires to be a game critic, you operate within rather narrow parameters. First it was no party games, now it's no Euros. I would argue that there are Euro elements in a game as universally admired as Twilight Struggle. If you're going to be a critic, it's probably better not to nix entire swaths of the hobby. You risk seeming narrow and a bit parochial in your views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He isn't a professional critic, he's just on some YouTube vids talking about games with 2 other guys who also give opinions (thus rounding out the show for those that do want wider opinions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Marshall Dave wrote:
First it was no party games, now it's no Euros...If you're going to be a critic, it's probably better not to nix entire swaths of the hobby. You risk seeming narrow and a bit parochial in your views.

Works for me. I'm interested in a wargamer's take on wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Marshall Dave wrote:
Judd, I share your enthusiasm for the work of Mark Herman, but for somebody who aspires to be a game critic, you operate within rather narrow parameters. First it was no party games, now it's no Euros. I would argue that there are Euro elements in a game as universally admired as Twilight Struggle. If you're going to be a critic, it's probably better not to nix entire swaths of the hobby. You risk seeming narrow and a bit parochial in your views.

Game Critic? Naw, I operate on the premise that opinions are like bungholes: everybody has one and they usually stink

I made a post recently where I showed my new organization set up. I called this my Donald Sutherland shelf:

Just don't tell anybody. It could ruin me. ninja

I'm not anti-Euro. They just don't get me as excited as wargames do. I like Martin Wallace's war-themed games, such as Gettysburg, Waterloo, and A Few Acres of Snow, precisely because they have a Euro element in them that brings something refreshinging to the genre. My beef with Cuba Libre was that I did nothing close to doing anything "war" in it with my mafia: no cutting off horse's heads and putting them in beds, no ambushing Sonny Corleone, and the like. I had higher hopes from a Volko game based on Labyrinth/Wilderness War.

But yeah, party games blow. There is no hope for those. I said in one of the videos that I'd rather play a million Euros than one party game. The 7th sign of the Apocalypse is "Mark Herman designs a party game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
Pacific war buy Nuts! Anyone??

I'm like Greg with Up Front: I have it, so I'm not anticipating it as much as other games, but I do want to see how the artwork is going to look -- I bet it's sharp. I heard Oliver (the dude behind Battles magazine) is really good.

But dude -- be looking forward to it. It is something else!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of hands in the sea before. I will need to check your review.

The nice thing about opinions is that they might be very different.
My top 5 would be:
1 Fab Golan 73
2 Kawaguchi's gamble
3 Warriors of Japan
4 Band of brothers: Old breed
5 Operation Dauntless

Other games that just missed the top 5 are Maori wars, Tanga 1914 and Enemy action: Ardennes

I'm affraid that CoH: Guadalcanal will not be released this year. FieF will be 1st priority and I believe that CoH: solo expasion would be next (although I might be wrong about that). The big reason why fans get so disappointed is that we hear every time for the last years that the game is ready to go to the printers.
If it gets released in 2015 together with BoB: Old Breed... I know which game I will be picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
durchske wrote:
Never heard of hands in the sea before. I will need to check your review.

The nice thing about opinions is that they might be very different.
My top 5 would be:
1 Fab Golan 73
2 Kawaguchi's gamble
3 Warriors of Japan
4 Band of brothers: Old breed
5 Operation Dauntless

Other games that just missed the top 5 are Maori wars, Tanga 1914 and Enemy action: Ardennes

I'm affraid that CoH: Guadalcanal will not be released this year. FieF will be 1st priority and I believe that CoH: solo expasion would be next (although I might be wrong about that). The big reason why fans get so disappointed is that we hear every time for the last years that the game is ready to go to the printers.
If it gets released in 2015 together with BoB: Old Breed... I know which game I will be picking up.

You have good taste in games. My Top 5 would look pretty similar to yours:
1 FAB Golan
2 Kawaguchi's Gamble
3 BoB Texas Arrow
4 Won By the Sword
5 Hands in the Sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

But yeah, party games blow. There is no hope for those. I said in one of the videos that I'd rather play a million Euros than one party game. The 7th sign of the Apocalypse is "Mark Herman designs a party game."

You don't think Mark Herman could make a party game awesome? Judd, this makes me sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:
airjudden wrote:

You don't think Mark Herman could make a party game awesome? Judd, this makes me sad.

It's a Ying-Yang thing. Mark Herman totally rules. Party games totally suck. Who could win out? It would be an epic battle that would shake the universe. Kind of like the Lazarus dude fighting himself in the Original Star Trek episode.

The funny thing is until we shot that video, I didn't realize just how much I loathe party games. I knew I never played them and avoided them, but I didn't realize it was on a subconscious level.

Before we shot the Ameritrash vid, I told the guys many times, "I want to warn you: I don't hate Euros. I just like to poke fun at them." I don't think they knew just how extreme that statement was until we shot the video. But both guys have introduced me to good Euros that are on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Tianen
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well, we also agree on Martin Wallace, although I would extend the endorsement to include stuff like Automobile and the Railroad Tycoon family of games. I question your assertion that you think most opinions stink. If that was true, there would be no reason to watch any of the Dice Tower reviews. I'm always interested in hearing intelligent people discuss games and perhaps alert me to something I might enjoy or just as importantly, avoid at all costs. You must think you and your Hamtag friends have something to contribute or you wouldn't bother to make the videos.
I am probably a bit biased. I spent most of my working life as a professional critic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "opinions are like bungholes" line is a joke, bro, although a whole bunch of people thought my definition of CDG stunk.

Automobile is a danged fine game. Greg introduced all of Wichita to it. I'm trying to trade for it now. I don't care for Brass or Toledo by Wallace, but when he puts a war theme on his games, they are mighty fine games.

I have no aspirations of being a critic. I have too many holes (never played ASL, OCS, SCS, WiF, GBOH, GCCW, extremely few 3+ player wargames) to be any type of expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GS in KS wrote:
WackyBanana wrote:
No Up Front? Really?

Me too. I frequently go sit in my game room and stare at them, thinking about how much other people would like to have them. And chortle.

Oh, yes - I chortle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
badge
airjudden wrote:
I have no aspirations of being a critic. I have too many holes (never played ASL, OCS, SCS, WiF, GBOH, GCCW, extremely few 3+ player wargames) to be any type of expert.

Expert opinions are the worst kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.