Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauziz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anybody who wants a Garak card just needs to go to Gen Con... sigh:

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-neca-wizkids-gen-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...well, that's crap for 90% of the players. Stupid, stupid move by WizKids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauziz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Given how many people would want cards with these characters, I would imagine that they could sell a lot of these DS9 character packs. But, I'm not in charge of Wizkids' sales department, so what do I know. The only thing I'm willing to bet on is that I won't be willing to pay the ebay price for these. Sorry Wizkids, guess my money is going elsewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brettscho wrote:
Given how many people would want cards with these characters, I would imagine that they could sell a lot of these DS9 character packs. But, I'm not in charge of Wizkids' sales department, so what do I know. The only thing I'm willing to bet on is that I won't be willing to pay the ebay price for these. Sorry Wizkids, guess my money is going elsewhere...

When we heard of the existence of these cards a few weeks ago, it seemed a pretty safe assumption that they'd put them in with the actual DS9 retail release (despite the current contents on the solicit), because include stuff like these characters with the model? That might get more people to justify its $100 price tag.

How silly it is to make logical assumptions some times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Guys, these cards are being offered as a GenCon exclusive "pack." We are going to see them come out individually on the retail market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want Quark as a way to get extra tech onto the Valdore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I sometimes think that I would rather pay $15 for a card upgrade set than a entire ship...but feel free to pick one up and send it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kaminsky
United States
Matawan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The worse part about that is that those of us who want cards like this (the completionist like me) who can't get to GenCon can only get them on eBay where people list them for $50-$100 a piece. I've been watching Khan cards go for $60 and $70. Not to mention Prize ships for $75 and the latest blind boosters for $30-50. Huge Star Trek fan here, so I try and wait it out to get what I want as cheap as I can. I mean really now, do we really have to gouge people? I will say I did get lucky and just got a GenKhan for $49.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...Odo is basically a carbon copy of Virak'Kara...only he can operate out to range 3 instead of range 1...isn't limited to Jem'Hadar ships...can actually disable ANY upgrade on the ship (although only gets to use Virak'Kara's ability to 'free action' it if it's a crew upgrade, which is fine as Virak'Kara only works against crew, anyway)...

...for the exact same cost.

Makes sense. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brettscho wrote:
Anybody who wants a Garak card just needs to go to Gen Con... sigh:

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-neca-wizkids-gen-...

[CENSORED] you, WizKids! You should have your license taken away for not widely distributing cards for main characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, big news. Sadly I wont be at GenCon...

Quark and Odo look like must-haves. T'Rul is ok.

Will the Sisko lovers be a little bit happier with his new card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
startrek.com wrote:
First Look at the product: a Star Trek: Attack Wing Cloaked Ship Pack and Exclusive DS9 Upgrade Card Pack. The Cloaked Ship pack contains 12 cloaked versions of previously released ships -- all cast in a translucent, starry black plastic – and it includes the DS9 Upgrade Card Pack.

So, you buy the pack of 12 cloaked ships and get the DS9 upgrade card pack... seems like a $180 pack of cards and ships. I'll bet these are the same cards that will release with DS9 next year. And now I have to figure out how to get the pack. Dangit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused by Quark's ability, as he references putting a card under him 'at the beginning of the game' - it doesn't say if you need to BUY that card or not (just that it can only be an upgrade of cost-5-or-less).

That would seem crazy OP, if true - Torres would cost 9 points to put an extra 5-point-upgrade on a ship, and if Quark only costs 2 total to do the same thing...??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonMegel wrote:
Guys, these cards are being offered as a GenCon exclusive "pack." We are going to see them come out individually on the retail market.

One would like to think so, but there's no reason to hold your breath for that.

Quote:
The worse part about that is that those of us who want cards like this (the completionist like me) who can't get to GenCon can only get them on eBay where people list them for $50-$100 a piece. I've been watching Khan cards go for $60 and $70. Not to mention Prize ships for $75 and the latest blind boosters for $30-50. Huge Star Trek fan here, so I try and wait it out to get what I want as cheap as I can. I mean really now, do we really have to gouge people? I will say I did get lucky and just got a GenKhan for $49.99.

Indeed, this is pretty silly. Particularly when some (though I am not among them) have been clamoring for a higher skill Sisko for quite some time.

Ok, enough bitching about the stupidity of this all for now. The cards themselves are pretty cool (one of the reasons they should be widely available). Sisko seems an interesting way to get a cheap 9 skill captain (and if you're putting him on the Defiant or another cloaker it works out pretty well). I really like Garak. Him having an elite talent is pretty cool and make sense with his many skills. Bashir is an interesting twist on the doctor idea. Quark is pretty cute; the darn smuggler. Odo and Vic fit well thematically. T'rul seems like she could be good. I can't honestly remember who T'Kar was from the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
T'Rul is ok.

T'Rul looks like a no-brainer on the Defiant, though. Allows the ship to use it's cloaking device like any other Romulan or Klingon ship - can flip it on and off every turn, with no delays. And the ability to, on a whim, choose to roll 3 less defense dice and generate an [evade] token?

That's extremely handy! You've got an evade token out there, the enemy lands two hits, and you go to roll your evade dice...don't bother chancing a roll of blanks, just trigger her ability and *bam*, two evade tokens to GUARANTEE the attack doesn't get through. And, heck, you still get to roll a few evade dice, anyway. (And if the enemy slams you with 4 or 5 hits...then you can still risk the regular evade dice roll, you don't have to make the decision until actually AT THE POINT YOU ROLL DICE)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
...well, that's crap for 90% of the players. Stupid, stupid move by WizKids.

More like 99+%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:
T'Rul is ok.

T'Rul looks like a no-brainer on the Defiant, though.

Hehe. I always think Faction pure first....especially with Roms.

But yeah...very handy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
T'Rul is ok.

I would love to put T'Rul on Flagship Valdore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex8404 wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:
T'Rul is ok.

I would love to put T'Rul on Flagship Valdore...

It's a nice way to get the 'Advanced Cloaking', sure, but at 8 cost (her 4 + cloak of 4), she's a HECK of a lot more expensive than Quark, who can (?apparently?) do the same thing for 2 cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, this is pretty much a much have. Any word on price? I won't be able to make the con, but I've got my ninja shopper lined up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
XanderF wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:
T'Rul is ok.

But yeah...very handy!

Is pretty interesting how the cards in total are so blatantly mixed faction. T'Rul gets the most effect on a ship that doesn't inherently have cloak. Garak, though Dominion, just ignores faction penalties. Odo/Vic are Independent. Quark can use any eligible tech/weapon that's not Borg (and he's Ferengi so you're probably not gonna be using him in a pure list...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if I'm reading Quark correctly, I can pay 2+1 points for him and slap a 5 point tech on a ship for free. And I don't even need the tech slot, just the crew slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
Yeah, if I'm reading Quark correctly, I can pay 2+1 points for him and slap a 5 point tech on a ship for free. And I don't even need the tech slot, just the crew slot.

Or a weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dc0nklin wrote:
XanderF wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:
T'Rul is ok.

But yeah...very handy!

Pretty sure she was the Romulan officer on the Defiant that they sent to mind their cloak, and then... the writers forgot about it? I don't remember what happened to her.

Surprised theirs no verbiage about deploying her at no extra cost to a fed ship or the Defiant given that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheWaspinator wrote:

As worded, I think he can even smuggle an Energy Dissipator onto any ship you want...

E: Ugh, Sisko's ability as worded doesn't work against the Borg. So much nonsense comes out of the "firing arc that's not a firing arc."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.