Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure I understand what exactly you are aiming to do; are those supposed to be in addition to the existing Empire Advantages or as replacements?
If replacements what do you not like about the provided cards? You mention easier to learn, but apart from some very involved cards (IMO Insectoids changes the most things and Gifted Scientists requires the most math to figure out the changes) the provided cards are already very simple. When teaching the game I simply let people discard advantages they do not understand and draw another one instead. After the game I'll explain the discarded ones for next time.

That being said, here's some feedback:

1) You already get that benefit for conquering with ground troops. If you mean that bombing the planet grants that benefit it is way too strong compared to the existing advantages.

2) Way too strong

3) Pretty week compared to Gifted Scientists even without a drawback. It would be interesting to encourage a versatile empire rather than the usual specialization in a few technologies though.

4) This is one of the Alien Tech cards effects and similar to the Traders advantage. It's reasonable, but you have to clarify if the advantage and tech stack or not.

5) That's basically the existing Space Pilgrims advantage, but a bit weaker since not all nebulae/asteroid movement effects are ignored.

6) Pretty strong advantage when playing with the extra counters; cheap SYs are awesome early game and cheap bases will prevent pretty much any early game attack.

7) I like this one, maybe even remove the "minimum 1" on it?

8) Way too strong. Basically you are subverting the whole concept of the Flee Bonus and making big capital ships ridiculously strong. The fact that it lasts until the end of battle also allows for stacking of this bonus and the fleet bonus if the opponent starts with more ships and then has ships destroyed until you have twice as many ships.

9) Way too strong. It takes the existing Horsemen of the Plains, increased the bonus by 2.5, gave them the ability to colonize instantaneously and for free (!) and only removed the ability to retreat between rounds of combat.

10) The first half is interesting, though to be anywhere near balanced only the technologies should stay active, otherwise they'll always fire first in those combats. The second half seems ok if it still takes SY capacity, but too much to be used on top of the other one.

11) 20cp is crazy. Reduce the amount to something like < 5 cp for every planet and don't use it with the alien tech cards and it might be ok.

12) Seems very similar to the existing Immortals, except the benefit is retroactive rather than preventative and you are missing the more expensive colony ships. I like it.

13) Too strong. A free colony ship in round 2 is already nice, but then getting basically a free BC every two rounds is overkill. It's also begging to be abused with unique ships priced at exactly 19 cp.

Advanced Game

14) IMO too weak, but I also consider Amazing Diplomats weak.

15) Basically you are giving a one time use of boarding ships per combat (except you have to have the tech) could work nicely tough.

16) Remove the ability to research Fast BCs and it seems fine.

17) Seems kind of weak. On larger maps it's nice, but on smaller maps the only advantage is that your DDs get exploration for the few rounds until exploration is largely irrelevant anyways.

So overall they need quite a bit of work before I'd consider them balanced against the existing advantages or even against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the info!

And no particular reason, probably just to hype up friends who want Alpha Cent-- er, Sid Meier's Beyond Earth game, to have a Civ-like leader power feel.

They are used to replace the other cards temporarily

Some revisions then:

[Assyrians-like]
1)When destroying an opponent's colony, you may learn one additional tech of theirs for free. Usable once per opponent.

Destroyers get +1 defense in combat.

[Aztecs]
2) Gain 1 CP for every two units you destroyed after combat in a hex is resolved.

Your SCs get +1 Tactics in combat.

[Babylon]
3) The cost for your first two levels of all your techs is halved (write the new costs next to your econ sheet's tech costs).

Your DDs get +1 defense.

[Arabia]
4) Each colony that produces 5 CP produces one extra 1 CP

Your CAs get +1 Movement.

[Vikings]
5) Ignore all combat effects of nebulae and asteroids. If a unit is destroyed in a black hole, you may build the lost unit for free in the next econ phase (keep the lost unit(s) on your econ sheet).

Your units get +1 attack and +1 defense if fighting in a hex on the edge of the map.

[Egyptian]
6) Ship Yards cost half their CP cost to build.

Your BC-1 group costs no maintenance.

[Bismarck/Zulu]
7) All your units cost 1 less maintenance (minimum of 1).

The first DD unit in a combat round can attack twice.

[Mongols]
8) Treat your first hit against a colony in battle as if you rolled a 1 for an automatic hit.

One of your BCs may colonize immediately after destroying another player's colony. Remove the BC and add a Colony Ship on the planet.

[Indonesians]
9)The first three planets you colonize that are not in your home system immediately provide a one time bonus of 10 CP. (note on econ sheet)

When your BBs enter battle, they may fight as if one of your techs is maxed out until the end of the battle.

[Japanese]
10) After each round of combat, remove one damage counter from one of your units.

Your DNs ignore your opponent's defense tech level.

[Mayans]
11) Every 5th Econ phase, you may build one a unit you have learned for free.

Your CAs get +1 movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like those revised ones. They're of course stronger than the provided ones since they provide two benefits and no penalties, but since you'll only use those or the provided advantages that shouldn't matter. I'd have to actually play with them to see how balanced they are, but nothing stands out right now to me anymore.

If I can make one more suggestion I'd change the Viking ability to trigger on fights adjacent to or in Warp Point hexes. The edge of the map has almost no significance, Warp Points would fit the raiding out of nowhere style much better. It also makes Warp Points even more of a defensive nightmare than they already are, but Vikings seem to be about exploiting the terrain to their advantage anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. I was thinking about thier ski infantry special unit, and thought about free movement into asteroids\nebulae, but that might give away who you are too easily before meeting. The Warp point idea is better

Of course I will probably change everything once Beyond Earth comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of some of these but I too feel that some of them can be OP as Niko pointed out. I had posted a few months back asking Jim if something like leaders from Buck Rogers might make it into next expansion / why not in CE too but still not coming along yet. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.