Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
25:28

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Patino
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This video convinced me to subscribe to this game's forums. Look forward to reading more about this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Judd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judd, you'll be excited to know that we're going to interview Daniel during the Conclave of Gamers (10 days from now), for our podcast. So stoked to demo HITS too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve deWinter
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You three have opened my variety in games, and looking forward now….(thanks) to Hands in the Sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
Judd, you'll be excited to know that we're going to interview Daniel during the Conclave of Gamers (10 days from now), for our podcast. So stoked to demo HITS too!

Can you send me a link? Dan is super cool and a whiz at taking an established system and making it better.

Outside of improving the Acres model (obviously), he took the often-copied Hammer of the Scots format and added a true Card Driven Game element in it when he made Caesar's Gallic War. I own most of the Hammer-variants and Dan's game is the best of them. It was so good that I learned how to make Vassal modules just so I could play it more. And that led me to volunteer to playtest HitS.

He wrote variant rules for Joe Miranda's Caesar XL and made it a whole lot better.

I've seen his next prototype and he's got the magic touch, I tell ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
eapeas wrote:

Can you send me a link? Dan is super cool and a whiz at taking an established system and making it better.

Outside of improving the Acres model (obviously), he took the often-copied Hammer of the Scots format and added a true Card Driven Game element in it when he made Caesar's Gallic War. I own most of the Hammer-variants and Dan's game is the best of them. It was so good that I learned how to make Vassal modules just so I could play it more. And that led me to volunteer to playtest HitS.

He wrote variant rules for Joe Miranda's Caesar XL and made it a whole lot better.

I'd read complaints about CGW. I bought it anyway because I love HotS, but I haven't tried it yet.

Do many people play it on vassal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot easier for a new player to play the Romans and that is what bugs some folks.

I heard folks claim the Americans are at a disadvantage in Washington's War and the French are at a disadvantage in Wilderness War, and when I heard that, I offered to play them and take the "underdog" and then whipped the pants off of them.

I heard the same thing about Anzio/Cassino and offered to take the Axis. No takers.

It takes more skills to take the lesser power, but they have so many more things they can do, it balances out. Also, like Wilderness War, you can bid victory points to balance it out.

One last thing -- there are 2 pretty well known game designers who made comments and never played it. That tells you more about the individuals than the game.

As far as folks playing it on Vassal, I don't know. I played it a few times. It actually solos better than most Hammer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

+1 to this. Dan's variant package of fixes is a needed improvement to CXL. I wouldn't play without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
eapeas wrote:

I certainly will.

Really excited to both meet Daniel, but also to try out HitS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your review, I'm in on HitS and look forward to the game's release.

airjudden wrote:

I heard folks claim the Americans are at a disadvantage in Washington's War and the French are at a disadvantage in Wilderness War, and when I heard that, I offered to play them and take the "underdog" and then whipped the pants off of them.

I can definitely say from experience that you back your rhetoric with action. Your Americans were at NO DISADVANTAGE to my Brits during our game on Weds. I am usually quite at home wearing a red coat; however, your ability to set the pace during the game was a learning experience. My only regret is that the war ended before I could come up with a "master plan" to destroy your rebellious hopes--then again, I don't think the atomic bomb could have helped me against the momentum you built by keeping all your generals in the field and countering my every attempt to seize the initiative--well done, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhand wrote:
Based on your review, I'm in on HitS and look forward to the game's release.

airjudden wrote:

I can definitely say from experience that you back your rhetoric with action. Your Americans were at NO DISADVANTAGE to my Brits during our game on Weds. I am usually quite at home wearing a red coat; however, your ability to set the pace during the game was a learning experience. My only regret is that the war ended before I could come up with a "master plan" to destroy your rebellious hopes--then again, I don't think the atomic bomb could have helped me against the momentum you built by keeping all your generals in the field and countering my every attempt to seize the initiative--well done, sir.

If I had known you were interested in it, I would have brought my prototype up and taught you. It's a game you never have to ask me twice to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.